to amp or not to amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have never bought used anything. i am not saying that i will not consider it, but will a 3 or 5 year old amp be as good as new? do they degrade over time? What about the ML speakers, Do they loose their quality over time?

lexicon lx 7

Hi everyone,

I found a deal about $2400.00 for a almost new lexicon lx 7 7ch amp. Is the a good amp to match with my vistas? it has a bridge option which means nothing if you bi amp.

here are my options so far. the lexicon amp. or for similar price a outlaw 990 PrePro/7125 Pwr Amp/LFM-1 Plus Sub $2397.00 new
I curently have 2 10in klipsch subs.

my room is 2200 cubic feet.

I would love to have some of your expert input on which way yo go and why.

Thanks
Andy

I did not see a power rating for 4 ohms. A good map would give twice the power at 4 ohms as 8 ohms. Write lexicon and ask.

The outlaw 7700 (200 watt 7 channel amp) does give these specs and will drive the Vista.

joel

jmschnur said:
I did not see a power rating for 4 ohms. A good map would give twice the power at 4 ohms as 8 ohms. Write lexicon and ask.

The outlaw 7700 (200 watt 7 channel amp) does give these specs and will drive the Vista.

joel
It’s quality not quantity Joel.

I would go for the Lexicon, that is a good deal.

mark lev

undefinedundefined
if you really want to go high end i would go with mark levinson amp and preamp. i use them to power my monoliths iii. they have great quality to them.

Joe,

I am not saying that the Out law amp is better than then lexicon if bother are drving loads in their specified ranges. My question was whether the Lexicon would properly drive impedence loads below 4 ohms.

Joel

boutrosa: Been on ML owner on and off for years. Owned SL3, Requests etc.. And now the Vistas, I have to say for the money they put up a very nice soundstage and are very detailed in presentation. My 3 favorite speakers are Dynaudio/Martin Logan and Joseph Audio, basically in that order and I happen to own all 3 for now :) But using a good Amp will always make things sound better. I have bi-Amped these they sound great, but I find myself going back to using my Musical Fidelity KW-500, this thing will drive any speaker and I find that MF is good with MLs... I wouldn't get too hung up on bi-amping, just look for a very good Amp.

Some Suggestions:
Musical Fidelity
NAD Silver Series
Cinepro
Mark Levinson
Parasound Halo Series
Anthem
PS Audio
Threshold new and old. Old Amps Class A where a great match with MLs.
Mono Blocks, Marantz used the MA-700 or MA-500, 700 were much better.
etc.....

Zip: Sweet setup

My setup can be found here, my MLs where supposed to go upstairs with my Sony SXRD 60" but wife thought they where too modern. Go figure, she loved my SL3 years ago, still can't figure that one out. Time for a new wife, LOL hahahaha...

Look under nick name "Gar"

http://www.htoc.net/MembersSet.html

Need to update my main HT, with a picture of my MLs next to my C2 Dynaudios. Totally different sounding speakers, but both do things very well.

hi audionervana:

thanks for your advice. I am going to check them out. I truly understand what you are saying. If you are going to spend money, spend it right the first time.

What is your opinion on the vista compared to the other MLs you have owned?

thanks
Ansy

boutrosa: Both have an amazing soundstage which most MLs exceed in, but the new Vistas sound just as good as the Summit for much less. Now comparing them to older versions I would say these are more detailed and more of a life like presentation. My older SL3 that I sold had a great soundstage but always seem to be lacking something in the bass and vocalization area, but the vista's are amazing and at the price point a great contender against many speakers costing twice as much.

jmschnur: If memory serves me right Lexicon LX series and CX series Amps with drive a 2ohm load with no problems, not sure about a 1ohm load. Most good Amps will do this for short periods of time. As Zip stated quality of a Amp can make a big difference verses wattage... Win win, situation is you have quality and decent wattage, I am currently using this...

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/kw/kw500.html

"jmschnur: If memory serves me right Lexicon LX series and CX series Amps with drive a 2ohm load with no problems, not sure about a 1ohm load. Most good Amps will do this for short periods of time. "

Then that lexicon looks like a nice unit for the price for a Vantage or Vistas.

Joel

jmschnur: I was also told Lexicon is coming out with some "less" expensive Amps with very similar specs, should be out by the end of summer. I had an older Lexicon Amp, but it was made for them by Bryston, not bad but wanted more good quality wattage so I went with some other Amps for HT and then Musical Fidelity for music. Really loved the NAD Silver series stuff for the money, but looks like they discontinued this line.

ok today i bought everything.

Outlaw Lmf-1 PLUS sub, 350 watt down to 17hz
outlaw 990 pre/pro
sunfire amp 7X200 in 8ohm, 7x400 in 4ohm

I hope I bought well. I will let you know when I have them installed.

thankw

Sunfire will match up well with the MLs. I haven't heard the Outlaw equipment but I heard it is a very good value. Have fun, still breaking in my Vistas. :)

Back