Passively Bi-Amp Theos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the Theos as my mains and the motion c2 as my center. My mains are currently on an anthem mca2 200wx2 about 350w @4 ohms. I have a deal cut for a sunfire cinema grand because I wanted take my center off my avr. The sunfire is 400wX5 @ 4ohms and has an input sensitivity more in line with my avr X3700H. Should I biamp my mains and run my center on the sunfire and stick the anthem on my rears or just throw external amplification on my bottom 7 speakers? I have 7.2.4. Before you suggest active bi amping I wouldn’t trust myself (at the moment) to bipass the crossovers in my speakers and the amps are already stretching my budget a bit.

In this scenario, I'd suggest using the external amps for the base layer speakers and leaving the tops on the AVR.

Passive bi-amping makes sense when trying to mix amp types (tube on panels, SS on woofer), or when needing more drive to reach volume levels. But that Sunfire (I have one) will drive the Theos or any speaker to very loud levels, so not much to be gained from bi-amping passively.

In this scenario, I'd suggest using the external amps for the base layer speakers and leaving the tops on the AVR.

Passive bi-amping makes sense when trying to mix amp types (tube on panels, SS on woofer), or when needing more drive to reach volume levels. But that Sunfire (I have one) will drive the Theos or any speaker to very loud levels, so not much to be gained from bi-amping passively.

This hit the nail right on the head!

Back