The Really Tasty Gear Thread - With Pictures!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• butterfly_speaker_sm.jpg
    butterfly_speaker_sm.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,164
  • eva_hero_sm.jpg
    eva_hero_sm.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,121
  • Pyramid_Speaker.jpg
    Pyramid_Speaker.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,135
Cool looks, if you don't mind you're listening room looking like some sort of arsty homage to Mayan ritual sacrifice.

That sub looks a little TOO much like an embalming slab for my comfort. :eek:

Now, if they'd pay ME $200k, I might consider it...

--Richard

6C33C? Forget it. 211/845? Useless. KT88/6550? Rubbish. Move over, drop dead, or simply die, for I am the baddest of all audio tubes. I am the 212E, (or 4212E). I am an Amperex, not the WE version. But I am totally badass. Do you see what I mean?

A group of British audiophiles made a DIY amp using these. The results, apparently, were absolutely gobsmacking, if they were to be believed. I'd probably pay serious £ for a good amp based around these. Building some transformers that would do them justice would be a challenge... and the resulting amps rather large:D

Bit of a "casualty" my tube is bigger than your tube type device, however:D

Attachments

• 212e2.jpg
    212e2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,501
  • 212e3.jpg
    212e3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,180
  • 212e1.jpg
    212e1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,154
Last edited:
A group of British audiophiles made a DIY amp using these. The results, apparently, were absolutely gobsmacking. I'd probably pay serious £ for a good amp based around these.
Any idea what they were driving?

Any idea what they were driving?

I can't remember - there was an excellent thread on a British forum a good few years ago. I'll see if I can find it. The problem the builder had was the transformers - he simply couldn't afford to get proper spec ones built if I remember correctly, so he used sub-standard ones. Even so, they seemed to think they sounded amazing.

The pics come from a live ebay auction. So get bidding!:)

I love the fact that he evaluated these $45,000 amps using a Playstation as a source!

Just had to post the Navison is case you miss the fact the the website has nice big pics too...

Awesome, or just freakin' ridiculous heat output - which ever way you wish to look at it:)

yep, as Tim said ....awesoooome ! they do remind me somewhat of the Joule Electra OTL's

Wyetech Labs Opal

Here's a pic of the Wyetech Opal Line Stage, made right here in Ottawa, on St. Bernard Street, no less. It was reviewed very favourably by TAS a few years ago. I should go visit them sometime as they only sell factory-direct. I expect that it is a garage operation as the address is smack dab in the middle of a residential area. IIRC it is quite pricey.

Attachments

• opal_guts_top.jpg
    opal_guts_top.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,280
For some reason... these look *very* cool :cool: ... wonder how they sound

Real-Requisites: Omni-directional speakers... cost as much as one of James's Porsches...

Attachments

• detagliodue.jpg
    detagliodue.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 725
  • detaglioquatro.jpg
    detaglioquatro.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 654
  • detagliothree.jpg
    detagliothree.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 676
  • eternity.jpg
    eternity.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 670
For some reason... these look *very* cool :cool: ... wonder how they sound

Real-Requisites: Omni-directional speakers... cost as much as one of James's Porsches...

We listened to them at RMAF this past fall and I thought they were real excriment to be honest. They didn't look nearly as good as they do in your pictures, and frankly the sound was intolerable.

We listened to them at RMAF this past fall and I thought they were real excriment to be honest. They didn't look nearly as good as they do in your pictures, and frankly the sound was intolerable.

hey Tim....didn't you have a couple of those 'chimney pots' smoldering away on your back patio ? LOL !

LOL! That is funny! At least the Porsche's perform well! Been driving the wheels off them the last week or so...YEA BABY! Fun stuff!

hey Tim....didn't you have a couple of those 'chimney pots' smoldering away on your back patio ? LOL !

Yeah Dave, you beat me to it! I suppose it must be tasty, though...:D

Attachments

• medium-cast-iron-chimenea.jpg
    medium-cast-iron-chimenea.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 648
Did you know Air Tangent did a TT? I didn't until about a month ago. Anyway, sign me up for this little combo:) Just don't ask me for the money!:D

Yum.

Attachments

• airtangent_table2.jpg
    airtangent_table2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 680
  • airtangent_med.jpg
    airtangent_med.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 588
Then again, who needs a parallel tracker when you can do this...:)

Attachments

• Rossner_Sohn_GML45_big.jpg
    Rossner_Sohn_GML45_big.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 747

Latest posts

Back