the best amp 4 CLS ii z,any suggestions??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htrattner

Reaction score
I getting a pair of cls iiz soon ,And Im interested in any suggestions on what amp /pre/intergrated to use I have now NAD 372 150 wt/ch or I have a ps trio 100 rated @ 100 wt/ch,please I need help (I listen at med/high volumes at times IE: supermen score !!! love John Willams. Med with Frankie old blue eyes:music:

I would look to a high current amp that will double its load to at least 2 ohms.

I got a chance to listen to the Conrad Johnson Premier 350 and the Sanders amps with the CLS IIz and I think both sounded great. For the money I would audition the Sanders Sound amps. You can try them out for 30 days for free.

See the regional Get together section to read about our thoughts on the AMP CLS combo.
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7587

I would look to a high current amp that will double its load to at least 2 ohms.

BINGO!

That is the starting point. The "best" amp to one person may not be the "best" amp for you as amps can sound different to your ears.

What is your budget? What kind of space requirements does your setup allow? A monster like a Pass Labs X350.5 would be a good match, but it's big and generates some heat. Plinus mates well with MLs as does McIntosh, Paraound Halo and Sunfire.

The possibilities are many. Good luck!

Last edited:
The quad 57 is a completely different animal. Those speakers worked well with low wattage tube amplifiers, where the CLS does not....

Just a thought to keep in mind as you go forward.

Sorry if I in any way implied these amplifiers were for the ML's. I was asking if there was an equivalent feature here on MLO.

I got a chance to listen to the Conrad Johnson Premier 350 and the Sanders amps with the CLS IIz and I think both sounded great. For the money I would audition the Sanders Sound amps. You can try them out for 30 days for free.

See the regional Get together section to read about our thoughts on the AMP CLS combo.
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7587

I really liked the CLS with the Sanders at the Get-together, they came to life and seemed to drive them effortlessly. And to Cherians point if you don't like it send it back.
http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/index.htm

I also had good luck with the Sanders amps here, but still prefer my Premier 350. (but the sanders amps are very good..)

I used to use an Audio Research D-79 with my CLS's back in the old days with excellent results. I brought home a 200wpc SS Bryston for an audition and it wouldn't play half as loud as the D-79..

They worked well with Classic 150's too, and you can pick a pair of those up used for about 3000 bucks.

Plenty of good amps out there....

I also had good luck with the Sanders amps here, but still prefer my Premier 350. (but the sanders amps are very good..)

I used to use an Audio Research D-79 with my CLS's back in the old days with excellent results. I brought home a 200wpc SS Bryston for an audition and it wouldn't play half as loud as the D-79..

They worked well with Classic 150's too, and you can pick a pair of those up used for about 3000 bucks.

Plenty of good amps out there....

Somebody was up late again listening to those wonderful CLXs:rocker:

Amps 4 Clsiiz's

In my brief, and I do mean brief experience with ML, (formerly Acoustat 2+2's), I wouldn't rule out Rowland Research. I now am the proud owner of original CLS's, and find my Rowland Model 8t to work like tubes on the stats. So much so I have one more project with amps; I'm looking at Plinius 102, or 103 to augment the system. Any ideas............Plinius 102---------OR, BAT Vk-60?...........Regards....J.C.

Welcome Baggs, Do you have them CLS on stands ? If not you may want to look into it. It makes a world of difference.

everyone thanks ,heres more info

right now my system is : emerald physics cs2 w/ nad 372 int. 150ttch /300 4ohm/load do you think if I add nad272 amp and make it 300wt/ch/8ohm /600wt/ch/4ohm it will work ,or just start over ,I do listen to it at mod/high volumes .any help please I didnt want to mess up the new speakers .ps my room is 10x10 only used for 2ch. thanks Ha:music:rry Ca

I use a Benchmarck PRE and a Bryston 14BSST:music: but if you want more of a tube like sound see if you can find one of the Sunfire SIG IIs

Ive got a great Clayton S40 if you want to give it a listen.
only 50wpc, all class A SS, but TONS of current. Works really
well with ML and the most tubey sound you'll find without
having tubes!

Just a Newbie's $.02 worth

Not many amps (non tube) list that they are stable to very low impedance, but the Sanders amp mentioned above does, as does the older Innersound amps. The Innersound is rated 500W/ch 8 ohms, 950 w/ch @4, and stable down to .333 ohms, and I believe a few are still available.
I don't own either of them, just putting it out there.
Correct me if I am wrong about any of this, but just remember my noob status here.
Steve
BTW I forgot about the Sunfire's

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back