best amp for the cls iiz under $1500.00 new or used ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htrattner

Reaction score
I recieved my new(used) cls iiz today and I cant wait to hear them ,I hear all your replies to my posts before and Im down to a aragon 4004(older w/ the good transformers) I also looked at used Mc intosh ss amps between 150/250 wtt/ch .I havent seen a used sunfire amp yet ,anyway I am open to any suggestions to what matches these speakers the best.PS my audio room is 10x10 and I love to listen to my music at medium/high volumes.Harry:music:

You'll have plenty of power for a small room like that, so given your small square demensions save some $$ for acoustical treatments.

Harry , with a 10 x10 room and those huge panels its gonna get awful congested in there. You wont need a powerhouse of an amp. As Dave stated Get ready for some room treatment as 10x10 is SMALL and SQUARE room.

HMM:rolleyes: lets see 18 inches away from the front wall( At least for some reflection.) 16" or so from the side walls. The chair 1 foot from the rear wall to try and stop the inevitable bass boom that you will get. Chairs are usually at least 24" so that is gonna leave you with about 5'4" space between the speakers and the chair, with a listening area where the head is of about 6.6 feet sitting.

I would have really thought differently about what speakers to buy for that room. :confused:
Sorry if I am raining on your parade but CLS need a little bit more room than that !

I would have really thought differently about what speakers to buy for that room. :confused:
Sorry if I am raining on your parade but CLS need a little bit more room than that !

I concur with CAP here... some smaller logans would work MUCH better in a room that small.

Here's an idea for an amp, a Pass Labs Aleph 5....

30wpc class A. Very tube like sound, but will have the current
to drive those panels. I've used that before and it's really nice.

You can get a used one for 800 bucks!

Here's an idea for an amp, a Pass Labs Aleph 5....

30wpc class A. Very tube like sound, but will have the current
to drive those panels. I've used that before and it's really nice.

You can get a used one for 800 bucks!

Jeff,
The Aleph 5 is 60wpc class A while the Aleph 3 is 30wpc class A. I had the pleasure of listening to the Aleph 3 on my ReQuests and it was magical at moderate volume. The Aleph 5 has the exact same 2-gain stage implementation, albeit an additional set of MOSFET to produce 60wpc (and more heat).

Musically speaking, the Alepth 3 or 5 are very musical, but I'm not sure about having that heater in the small room :)

Spike

When I was playing around with many different amps I got my hands on a few Monarchy mono blocks SE-100 Delux and the SM-70PRO. Both of these amps are pure class A and sounded very good and very musical. I did a quick review of the SE-100 that you can read in the amplifier section of this site. I think the CLS can do with more power so a good choice may be the Monarchy SE-160. This is a hybrid design with a tube for the input gain and FETs for the output gain. At $1,200.00 used for a set of mono blocks this can be a very good buy and I think a good fit for the CLS.

My opinion differs a bit... I don't buy speakers to match my room because I figure at some point they will be in another room anyway. I always want to buy the best speaker.... I just have a hard time justifying a purchase which is a decent amount of change - only to want to change later on because my room got bigger.... I think you buy the best speaker you can buy today - and worry about the room tomorrow....Just my opinion of course :)

room size ,it is what it is !!!!

I purchased the speakers even though the room is small ,because I love the speakers and my room only will have my audio equipment and 2 studio chairs nothing else .Now I love all your inputs on my room but it is what I have to work with for now,maybe the system will be in a bigger room in the future .Now back to my amp question ,what will make these speakers truely sing ,suggestions please.:eek:

Now back to my amp question ,what will make these speakers truely sing ,suggestions please.:eek:

To make the CLS truely sing you will needs lots of reserve current. At theWB's place last month we tested the CLS II with a CJ350 and the Sanders ESL, both will do the job. but neither is in the stated budget of $1500. For my money a Sunfire 2ch is the best bet at a little less than $1000 used, then save up for a bigger amp (Sanders, CJ, PassLabs, etc the list of quality $4K amps is long, and this group owns most of them).

To make the CLS truely sing you will needs lots of reserve current. At theWB's place last month we tested the CLS II with a CJ350 and the Sanders ESL, both will do the job. but neither is in the stated budget of $1500. For my money a Sunfire 2ch is the best bet at a little less than $1000 used, then save up for a bigger amp (Sanders, CJ, PassLabs, etc the list of quality $4K amps is long, and this group owns most of them).

You can probably find a used Innersound amp that is close to the new Sanders for that $.

How many threds do you need to hear the same recommendations. Sunfire has came up several times. They can be had for under $1500 and will do you fine. You want advice there it is from a few different members. The Aragon is a fine amp as well, Sure there are better amps but your budget says you need to be under $1500. I'm not trying to harp on ya but this is the 3rd thred asking the same question and you get the same answers. Look into an old Krell KSA 50 its as good as you need and sounds sweet as candy and will do you fine in you room.;)

I think I will go w/ aragon 4004

I think for now I will try to find a good used aragon 4004 (mkii) or older , and try to match it w/ used mac pre-amp tube ,thinks for all your help my speakers arrived yesterday and I havent had time to open the boxes yet ,I will to day ,I will keep you guys posted on my new stuff thanks again ,Harry

Why not try one of the choices you originally narrowed down to? Only you are going to know how it sounds in your room. I'm partial to McIntosh and like the way it sounds in my room. Try something, it is the only way your going to know for sure.

Gordon

best amp for ML ClSIIz

Wow, I cannot believe some of the replies telling the new owner of the CLSIIZ to get different speakers because of the size of the room. Talk about thoughtless! Fortunately, the author of this thread has the right idea. I own those speakers, love them, and my room is about the same size. I've had them in large rooms and small rooms and, yes, they sound great in large rooms, but some of us do not change speakers to fit the size of the room, or we move a lot. Do not get the 4004. I tried it and it was abused by the speakers. Look for high current. I currently use vintage Acoustat tnt 200 amps. They work great with the CLSIIzs. Never pushed to the limits. Other amps I used successfully include McCormack DNA 1s, PS Audio Delta series, and Citation 5.1 and 7.1 amps. I concur with the Pass Amps as well although I have never personally used them, but many have successfully.

Wow, I cannot believe some of the replies telling the new owner of the CLSIIZ to get different speakers because of the size of the room. Talk about thoughtless! Fortunately, the author of this thread has the right idea.
Pretty amazing huh? And yes I agree, the OP has the right idea and reasons.

If you can fit them through the door then they will fit in your room, has always been my requirements!!!

And to pass up the opportunity to have CLS's is something a room should not dictate. You should see the pair I have in my bathroom :p - sounds the best with a hot shower, not a cold one.

Wow, I cannot believe some of the replies telling the new owner of the CLSIIZ to get different speakers because of the size of the room. Talk about thoughtless! .

To a point, yes. But I think I / we we're also trying to convey the importance of room acoustic treatments given his size and shape. At least I was anyways !!

Example...... Dan, given all your efforts and success with your room, can you imagine stripping away all your acoustic treatments, etc and honestly saying you would be satisfied ???? Me thinks not !!

Example...... Dan, given all your efforts and success with your room, can you imagine stripping away all your acoustic treatments, etc and honestly saying you would be satisfied ???? Me thinks not !!
I had no idea about room acoustics when I purchased my CLS. But it did not stop me from purchasing the speakers I wanted, and should not deter others from purchasing the products they really want to own. A gentle reminder or concern to a poster about room size, equipment, treatments, etc. can be done very diplomatically.

This is the same thing with people who own cars that can go 100+MPH, but yet there may not be any roads (legally) you can run that fast on. So based on the roads and limits means you do not buy the car?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back