The Alternate Universe of the Scripts

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomD

Reaction score
There is something very curious about these Scripts. How is it that they defy the ML owner's basic principle when setting up speakers? You know, enough room between the panel and the wall.

Now the Scripts appear and suddenly physics is altered. They are electrostats that are made to be attached to the wall :confused:

So, how is it that these speakers get away with a fundamental aspect of ML speakers, which is they need to be placed at a distance from the wall to optimize performance? Couldn't find info after a quick search of this site.

Just curious as the system is ever expanding, and acquiring Scripts is always a possibility.

I thought it was strange too.

I assumed they existed to begin with so ML could have an all-stat line.

I assumed they were discontinued because wall mounting isn't ideal placement and such a small panel has extremely small dispersion.

There is something very curious about these Scripts. How is it that they defy the ML owner's basic principle when setting up speakers? You know, enough room between the panel and the wall.

Now the Scripts appear and suddenly physics is altered. They are electrostats that are made to be attached to the wall :confused:

So, how is it that these speakers get away with a fundamental aspect of ML speakers, which is they need to be placed at a distance from the wall to optimize performance? Couldn't find info after a quick search of this site.

Just curious as the system is ever expanding, and acquiring Scripts is always a possibility.

Hola...usually taking the speakers away of the wall minimize the wall interaction mostly with bass issue, to avoid boom boom, or one note bass. The Scripts are not too heavy in bass lower bottom response, and they need that reinforce of bass from theirs back wall. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Hola...usually taking the speakers away of the wall minimize the wall interaction mostly with bass issue, to avoid boom boom, or one note bass. The Scripts are not too heavy in bass lower bottom response, and they need that reinforce of bass from theirs back wall. Happy listening,
Roberto.

I just think its a huge compromise to have esl speakers all around ! their is more to moving them out than the bass. the phase coherence sound staging and so on would be majorly effected do matter what .

hi,

i've had Scripts for my side sourrounds and rear surrounds for years. while the positioning is precise, the sound is very pleasent and if you want a near seamless match to your other stats, then this is the way to go.

you are bang on in your assesment that the panels are close to the wall - only about 6-8 inches - and Roberto is right in pointing out that the panels are quite small but paired with a cone speaker that handles much of the sound "power".

keep in mind that the Logos center channel - what some call one of ML's best center channels - only has 4" of space behind it's stat panel. many people would not trade their Logos for another center channel speaker due to the presence of human voices created by it. now how can that be?

For me there are two aspects of electrostatic speakers that make them magical - the soundstage and the realism. My CLS make a piano sound like a piano, makes a voice sound like it's next to you, makes a doorbell have the dog wander over the the entrance looking for a visitor...

but the CLS also create a soundstage that spans from the to right, from top to bottom and from back to front. this soundstage is affected by space behind the speakers more than the realism of the sound is affected by space behing the speakers.

Surrounds (Scripts) and centers (Logos) are not creating a soundstage matrix but are instead handling a single discrete channel. Because of this, the soundstaging requirements of the scripts are minimized, they are being handled more by the Dolby/DTS processor driving the speaker. That soundstage pan of a bullet whizzing from front to side to rear and then past me is not a product of the soundstage skills of my side and rear scripts, it is fully a product of my 7.1 processor and the production 5.1 mix.

The same is true of my CLS fronts when a car drives from left to right. It is the mixing and processing that creates the illusion - although the CLS certainly help a bit :)

now, when i turn off the blu-ray and switch the processor to passthrough analog and source things from my turntable, that is when the CLS soundstage shines, and the 4 feet of air behind them help to create the magic of a stereo experience.

so, in summary, in my opinion the Script is mounted too close to the wall to provide adequate soundstaging when used to create a stereo image - hence the floor mount version that ML created. That said, the Script does provide a great little panel based surround that matches well with other stats in your system.

Flying Scripts...

I love my Scripts. My The near field HT really does not require Scripts to have low end, though they do. I find the sound dispersion over head to be optimal for my ears. I am constantly amazes by the sound that comes out of them.:music:

I've been using Scripts for a few years now and I find they're a nice match with the MLs used as mains and a center. While mine are mounted on the wall, the mount allows you to swivel the speaker. I have them pointed (or angled) inward towards my sofa. This angled positioning allows for plenty of open space behind the Scripts.

ML discontinued ESLs as rear surrounds when they discontinued the former Prodigy, Odyssey, Ascent and Aeon models. Not sure why they did that especially when they still use ESL for center channel speakers including the Stage which comes with a stand/bracket that is made to mount on the wall.

hi,

i've had Scripts for my side sourrounds and rear surrounds for years. while the positioning is precise, the sound is very pleasent and if you want a near seamless match to your other stats, then this is the way to go.

you are bang on in your assesment that the panels are close to the wall - only about 6-8 inches - and Roberto is right in pointing out that the panels are quite small but paired with a cone speaker that handles much of the sound "power".

keep in mind that the Logos center channel - what some call one of ML's best center channels - only has 4" of space behind it's stat panel. many people would not trade their Logos for another center channel speaker due to the presence of human voices created by it. now how can that be?

For me there are two aspects of electrostatic speakers that make them magical - the soundstage and the realism. My CLS make a piano sound like a piano, makes a voice sound like it's next to you, makes a doorbell have the dog wander over the the entrance looking for a visitor...

but the CLS also create a soundstage that spans from the to right, from top to bottom and from back to front. this soundstage is affected by space behind the speakers more than the realism of the sound is affected by space behing the speakers.

Surrounds (Scripts) and centers (Logos) are not creating a soundstage matrix but are instead handling a single discrete channel. Because of this, the soundstaging requirements of the scripts are minimized, they are being handled more by the Dolby/DTS processor driving the speaker. That soundstage pan of a bullet whizzing from front to side to rear and then past me is not a product of the soundstage skills of my side and rear scripts, it is fully a product of my 7.1 processor and the production 5.1 mix.

The same is true of my CLS fronts when a car drives from left to right. It is the mixing and processing that creates the illusion - although the CLS certainly help a bit :)

now, when i turn off the blu-ray and switch the processor to passthrough analog and source things from my turntable, that is when the CLS soundstage shines, and the 4 feet of air behind them help to create the magic of a stereo experience.

so, in summary, in my opinion the Script is mounted too close to the wall to provide adequate soundstaging when used to create a stereo image - hence the floor mount version that ML created. That said, the Script does provide a great little panel based surround that matches well with other stats in your system.

+1 well put..

I wish they still produced the Script line or something similar. I totally agree with you that the Scripts(I run 4) in the surrounds is an absolute seamless blend with my ReQuest and Theater I. I'm actually thinking about grabbing one more set and adding a side axis channel being the large size of my theater room.

Dan

I love my Scripts. My The near field HT really does not require Scripts to have low end, though they do. I find the sound dispersion over head to be optimal for my ears. I am constantly amazes by the sound that comes out of them.:music:

Hey Robin - You clearly defied ML's attempt to place those Scripts anywhere near a wall! Stepping into your listening room must be like putting on headphones; probably the most speakers per square footage of anyone in this forum.:rocker:

So, from what i gathered so far is that the strength of the Scripts is that they match sound characteristics of the front MLs. Although very important up front, I am thinking it may not be as important in the rear as there is much less definition.

An excellent point was made in that the processor sets the overall sound stage. I wonder how important is it to have that bullet, as mentioned in another example, match the sound characteristics coming from the front. Also, if you have enough space behind you, the distance will offset directionality, and Scripts may work.

I am mostly interested in surrounds for music reproduction, as in DVD concerts. Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot of room behind the sofa, and i think the Scripts may sound too focused and lack dispersion in my situation.

Still, sure would like to have a pair, or something that can compete with the speakers up front.

An excellent point was made in that the processor sets the overall sound stage. I wonder how important is it to have that bullet, as mentioned in another example, match the sound characteristics coming from the front.
ahh, but do you want it to sound like one bullet zinging past you or two different bullets? that seam from one type of speaker to another can matter.

bullets aside, there is a scene in the Fifth Element where the net gun is being demostrated. the view is First person shooter and the net sound come from behind you, around you and then forward to the screen. very cool effect. would it work with a mix of speakers? maybe. but it sounds great with all ML.

I am mostly interested in surrounds for music reproduction, as in DVD concerts. Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot of room behind the sofa, and i think the Scripts may sound too focused and lack dispersion in my situation.
well, the music DVDs i have heard don't put a lot of primary sound in the surrounds. and that's what i hear at a concert. the musicians are infront of me, the music comes from the same location, not with the lead guitar off to the left or behind me. interesting effect, but not real.

i still remember the Holly Cole concert where the soundman panned the string bass way over to the left. it was uncomfortable to look at him on stage right but have the sound come from stage left...

Script Lovely Sounds...

Hey Robin - You clearly defied ML's attempt to place those Scripts anywhere near a wall! Stepping into your listening room must be like putting on headphones; probably the most speakers per square footage of anyone in this forum.

TomD,

You are probably correct... :D
The Scripts are bold yet suttle is the position I have them in. The sound cascades down around all the listening areas of my HT room. Amazingly, I have not had to adjust then since my son and I positioned them into place a couple of years ago. I just vacuum them every 4 - 6 weeks as they do tend to collect dust flying as high as they do... :music:

Because somebody is lying about something.

Stylos model was against the wall...

and also, what about the Stylos model? Stylos was a model that was designed to be against the wall...and the sound was very nice...so I still think the issue about having the woofer closer to the wall, for bass enhancement is the design from ML for the Scripts. You need the reinforcement of the low frequency from a tiny woofer of 6.5". Happy listening,
Roberto.

Latest posts

Back