Hello from Wausau, WI

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tristan

Reaction score
Good Evening. My name is Tristan. I live in Wausau, WI with my wife Danielle and our dog Mauser. I've been serious about music my whole life. I started playing piano when I was 10 and guitar when I was 16 and play in two rock bands. I've always had my finger in high-end audio equipment, but never was able to dive "head first." I love classical, rock, metal, some jazz, bluegrass, electronica; basically anything but new country and hip-hop rap. I listen to mostly indie rock, metal and classical.

I'm the kind of guy that likes to buy one piece of quality gear at a time. I can already see where this hobby can swallow you whole. I started out fairly naive and purchased a Bose system when I was first getting into audio gear. I quickly realized this was not the best purchase. i still have the system, installed in our living room. The low footprint is unobtrusive. No highs, no lows, you get the picture! :D

In my theatre/listening/mancave/cigar room; until last week I was running a pair of Marantz from the 70s that my father gave to me in my teens. They actually sounded very nice and warm. I had recently upgraded my surrounds and it became clear I needed to upgrade the fronts. I like a more natural, warmer sound personally. Some guys really like the super analytical sound. I can appreciate that sound but it isn't my preference. I've heard quite a few high end speakers over the years and I can truly say I've wanted a pair of Martin Logans for my entire adult life.

A few weeks ago I went looking around the internet with the intention of just "drooling" and saw Source were on closeout at Audio Advisor. I couldn't resist the temptation and pulled the trigger. Last week Monday the moment of glory arrived. I was very pleased with the way the speakers were packed in their individual "foam fortresses. I had taken both of the speakers out of their boxes in order to facilitate easy transport into the basement. This was mistake number one. I carried one speaker down with no problem. Unfortunately, the friend I had helping me grabbed the other speaker and proceeded to "miss a step" on his way down and dropped one of the speakers. He was okay and just ended up with a bruise and a superficial cut when he took a panel to the face. Thank god he was okay; speakers can be replaced but friends cannot.

The speaker ended up with moderate cosmetic damage (rash on the cabinet and the panel mounts also broke). My friend insisted I order a new speaker at his expense. I tried to argue with him to meet half way; as it was partially my fault for asking him to help me. He wouldn't budge. I am currently working with ML tech support to acquire suitable parts to remount the panel and intend to put the speaker up on E-bay for sale.

I ordered a new speaker and received it on Thursday of last week. I had a different friend help me and this time we left the speaker in the box until it was situated adjacent to it's new home. I put Chopin Trio SACD on and was absolutely floored. Shivers down my spine. I never thought I'd have sound like this in my home. The speakers sound fantastic and I couldn't be more happy with my purchase. I was even more stunned listening to the Chopin Concerto Warsaw Philharmonic bluray in DTS-MA. It's just unbelievable what these speakers can produce.

One thing I realized immediately is that these speakers are totally unforgiving to low quality audio files and recordings. Just incentive for me to not play low quality audio files and recordings ;)

I have this pair of Source down in my 10X11 man cave/cigar room. I have a serious ventilation system set up for enjoying cigars, one of the other hobbies that take a big chunk out of my budget. I have a respectable 50" Samsung 1080p HDTV hooked up to a Lenovo Q150 running Ubuntu 11.10 and XBMC. I run HDMI to the TV and optical to my Sony V333ES receiver. This baby is over 10 years old, but amazingly still handles DTS-MA. I haven't found an audio format that won't work (sans 7.1). Along with the Martin Logan Source I own one Polk CS2 Center channel, a pair of Definitive Technology BP2X Surrounds and a Definitive Technology 10" powered subwoofer.

When I built the room I did 10 guage in-wall speaker wire from Monoprice. This is one area in which I am somewhat ignorant. I am however aware that the cabling I have running to the MLs is sub-optimal. This is the next piece I plan to upgrade. Looks like a few more hours browsing forums. Good stuff!

Forgive my rambling and verbose nature. I look forward to learning from the community here!

Cheers!
Tristan

Welcome from another newbie out East on Long Island NY. Iv'e owned Sources and you will find as the mechanical aspects of the speaker "wear in" the sound will get better and better. AWG 10 should be adequate (I'm using AWG 12 and a fair long run of it). Placement in a 10x11 room will be the issue. minimum 24" off the front and side walls. Good luck and trust your ears (forget the hype, some of the site members stereos cost more than my house)! -Rick

Welcome aboard Tristan, musicians make the best listeners.
Huh! I've met a few that can talk a tad :D Welcome Tristan, you are in good company, I am just finishing a complete upgrade that has taken me 6 mths, the first was my very own first purchase of Martin Logan Summit X speakers. Like Rickk said, give the speakers some time to break-in as you will hear some peculiar things at times & then they will settle & bloom

One thing I realized immediately is that these speakers are totally unforgiving to low quality audio files and recordings. Just incentive for me to not play low quality audio files and recordings ;)

Welcome Tristan. Yes, ML have a way of revealing the most sublime right along with the most wretched. Some of us have had to adapt (and literally play some poorly recorded, but beloved music on our non ML based music systems).

Glad your friend wasn't severaly injured.

Some will also suggest that smoking is taboo with ML panels in the room (even if well ventilated).

Finally, you are hearby forgiven for having gone astray (re: Bose) ;)

Cheers

Welcome, sorry to hear of your intial incident but it sounds as if all worked out in the end !

Thanks for the warm welcomes! Listening to one of my favorite albums on the MLs right now (Sparklehorse - It's a Wonderful Life). Heaven!

This hobby is dangerous. Just pulled the trigger on a Emotiva XPA-5. Thought I would give my Sony receiver a break. This should hold me over until I get monoblocks (probably a few years down the road). Also, got a really good deal on a Panamax 5300PM. I think they shipped me a free bottle of snake oil with it :)

Going to hook up the new gear this weekend. Got to modify my rig so the new amp fits.

This hobby is dangerous. Just pulled the trigger on a Emotiva XPA-5. Thought I would give my Sony receiver a break. This should hold me over until I get monoblocks (probably a few years down the road). Also, got a really good deal on a Panamax 5300PM. I think they shipped me a free bottle of snake oil with it :)

Going to hook up the new gear this weekend. Got to modify my rig so the new amp fits.

Congrats. Makes for a fun weekend. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back