System #538 (Renaissance ESL 15A)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inductors can be more tricky to replace. You need to match both the inductance of the coil, plus it's resistance. If both aren't the same with the replacements, the balance of the drivers can be altered. But, if the crossover pictures posted here are representative of the coils used in these ML speakers, I wouldn't replace them. They appear to be of an appropriate gauge, and are air core inductors, and look to be good quality. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh, glad to hear the recap met expectations. Well done.

Hi
I had great results using upgrading to Mundorf Caps. i did try ones here and bunch of other ones from Audience and Clartiy caps , even tried duland bypass caps

After one month of trial and error, this is what worked most for me. These caps had huge improvement in my system.

Now thinking to upgrade Inductors, can anyone recommend inductors or list values for ESL15 crossover inductors? original inductors seem pretty good, not sure if Mundorf inductors would improve but the stock Jentzen from what I remember.

Would anyone know the specs for 3 inductors that are on the crossover?

But if you ever decide to take your ESL15 to the next level and have some soldering skills upgrade to these caps and you'll see... other cheaper ones might work too, but I 've tried even more expensive Duland ones and these worked the best for me.
Inductors are much harder to spec and replace, I would leave them alone unless you know what you're doing as far as crossover design goes.

I'm currently designing a fully active ESL setup with no passive crossovers, that should be interesting.

Thanks, ill keep inductors and resistors as original( from what i remember inductors had a Jentzen sticker on it, probably not the most expensive model but still from the very good brand.

Can someone explain ESL 11-15 crossover design ? I know is semi-active and this is how I understand its working

Passive Crossover is only used for the Electostat Panel, So signal comes in and passive crossover sends signal above 300 HZ to the panel at the same time DSP for sub is running active crossover from 20-300

so to me ESL 15s seem to have both Active and Passive crossovers? is it a simple 2 way?
whoever has a better understanding of how crossovers are set up in ESL 11A-15A please post.

Thans

Your understanding of the ESL11 - 15 crossover design sounds correct. Passive/analog high pass, and DSP/digital on the woofers. As such, no AD or DA conversions within the midrange and treble. No degredation that way. Then DSP in the bass, where room correction is most needed.

Thanks , and that seems to be best way to implement DSP very clever decision.
I wonder if ML will be releasing replacement for ESL 11-15 range anytime soon

New models are hard to guess. Especially now, with all the pandemic parts shortages.

Also, Parts Express has a new DSP plate amp, that would allow adding DSP functionality to any biampable speaker. ESL Xs and 9s could be upgraded. Eminent Technology just introduced a new speaker that uses the new plate amp too.

Latest posts

Back