System #278 (Summit)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justin that comment could get you banned:D TOM!!!:D
But we Americans do make some Great Friecking Speakers.:music:

So you know how to stretch a piece of mylar in between some metal:D And you copied us anyway (Quad 57). And by god you were slow to catch on.

Don't get above yourselves:)!!!

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I believe I read somewhere that it was American scientists who developed the first electrostatic speaker. It wasn't commercially viable at the time due to the panel being made from animal gut. It seems it would rot. :D

I could be wrong, but I believe I read somewhere that it was American scientists who developed the first electrostatic speaker. It wasn't commercially viable at the time due to the panel being made from animal gut. It seems it would rot. :D

I remember reading that to, and I believe General Electric had the first electrostatic patent in the 30's

Wiki seems to reckon you filed the first patent... let's call it a collaborative effort. We have done well together in the past...:)

There also seems to have been a patent filed in 2001 for an ESL with moveable sides. I have often thought about this and how it could be done i.e. how can the whole film be made to move equally, rather than being anchored at the sides. Could be a good patent! Will read it sometime...

Last edited:
Good for both of you. Do you have similar taste in music?

I was just talking in a different thread about the days when my kids would enjoy listening sessions with me when they were younger. We enjoyed a lot of great music over the years and introduced one another to a wide variety. I have my daughter to thank for introducing me to Ani Difranco for instance. They have since both flown the proverbial coop, but we always make time for a listening session when they are in town.

Yes actually we have similar taste in music. We both listen to jazz, blues, classical and opera. My son doesn't listen to pop and rap, like many young people do today. Of course we both discover new music, and introduce it to each other. It's a great way to discover new music. ;)

My son doesn't listen to pop and rap, like many young people do today. Of course we both discover new music, and introduce it to each other. It's a great way to discover new music. ;)

That's such a great experience .....You make me green with envy.....

New purchase!

I just got my new PS Audio Power Plant Premier.

My system has never sounded so awesome before! :D

IMG_2562.jpg

Nice to see a European room posted. These Americans have no taste when it comes to room furnishings & decor (runs for cover...). Actually not 100% true, but mainly true:D If you look you will find some nice ones, though. Still, what do we Europeans know?

This from a guy with lamps on the floor:D

Very nice system Rene and Kenneth. Clean, well thought out.
You may want to try a velvet Elvis picture directly behind the speakers to improve the look.

Welcome aboard!
Mike

Lamps on the floor - true enough - and a Dali I just can't stand anymore... but it's been replaced, cunningly. I'd just moved into the house when that was taken. Things don't look the same anymore...

Not a Lazy Boy in sight though - phew!:D

Angel - what changes did you hear with the PPP in place? Also, does the PPP make much noise? I heard it uses a motor to do the regen...

Last edited:
Love the Beach floors. Very classy look. ! Goes with that nice set up!

To User211:

Lamps on the floor - true enough - and a Dali I just can't stand anymore... but it's been replaced, cunningly. I'd just moved into the house when that was taken. Things don't look the same anymore...

Not a Lazy Boy in sight though - phew!:D

Angel - what changes did you hear with the PPP in place? Also, does the PPP make much noise? I heard it uses a motor to do the regen...

Hi User211,

The PS Audio Power Plant Premier is one of the best things, I have ever done for my system. It's like getting af new and bigger poweramp, but the biggest improvement was when the Summits were plugged in. A bigger soundstage, more details, less noise, a blacker and more quiet background and better dynamics. It's easier to listen to music.

But it doesn't make any noise.

Nordost Odin on loan!

Hey everybody!

This week we are borrowing Nordost's Supreme Reference cable Odin. There is one pair of speakercables (2x4m), 1 pair of RCA interconnects, 1 pair of XLR interconnects and 5 pairs of powercords (3m each).

So as you can figure out, this is a hell of a week. We can't describe the sound! It's awesome! We just listened to a few recordings this evening, and it's incredible! Every aspect of the music is just so (unbelievable) much better.

But here the sad thing comes: All in all; the cables have a price tag that says 180.000 usd! And unfortunately we can't afford that.

Comments and questions are welcome!

Last edited:
I would love to hear the before and after with these cables.:drool: The price tag is a bit hard to swallow,:wow: but for someone who has the cash.........why not.

Doug - out

oh my god....what decadence, this is lottery winning stuff:eek: just worked out the exchange rate and that would cost me in sterling......£122000.............OMG
cant wait to read your review:music:

Last edited:
Yup Dan - it's a lot...! They may be excellent, but are they worth it? Hm...

Anyway, there must have been some serious blagging going on. I mean, how do you blag someone into lending you £122,000 worth of cables, precisely? And what happens if you damage them.... I shudder to think!:)

Mini review of Nordost Odin:

After we have listened to the Nordost Odin cables in about a week, we thought it was time to a little mini review.

We'll take it step for step.

Plugging in the Odin power cord from the wall socket to the PS Audio PPP. Wow! A huge soundstage, tons of details and nuances, transparence and openness. The definition is so much better all over frequency range. From top to buttom.

Plugging in the Odin power cord in the Marantz SA-11S2.
Almost the same improvement as before...

Plugging in the Odin power cord in the Pass Labs X1.
Almost the same improvement as before...

Plugging in the Odin power cords in the Martin Logan Summits.
We could imagine that this part of the review, is the most relevant for this forum. First of all the soundstage is the biggest we've ever heard. You can't imagine how many detalis and nuances there is. It's awesome. The transparency of the Summit is already superb, but with the Odin power cord it's amazing.

Plugging in the interconnects between the cd/pre and the pre/power.
Even more details, even more nuances, an even bigger and deeper soundstage etc. But with the interconnects something else happend to. The sound got too pretty. Too "clean" and pretty. Lagging on musical involvement.

Plugging in the speaker cables.
The characteristics is as with the interconnects, just much better. The lag of musical involvement isn't one of the keywords here.

Summing up.
The power cords is fantastic. The interconnects is very good to, but a bit too pretty and lagging a little bit on musical involvement. The most expensive cable of them all; the speaker cable, is also exceptional, but can sometime sound a little bit too pretty to.

Nordost's Supreme Reference Odin is exceptional good cables, but if we should spend that many money on cables, the Odin's wouldn't be our choice. It's simply too "clean" and too pretty. Sometimes lagging a bit too much on musical involvement.

We hope the little review was helpful. ;)

Last edited:
And I was just going to sign the re-mortgage...:D Maybe I'll stick with my Red Dawn Rev II - which I think are great.

Thanks for the review. And for conveying some sanity. No speaker cable - or cable in general - is worth that money. Lars has to be joking.

Last edited:
great to hear what you thought with honesty:rocker:
couldnt get a re-mortgage so had a bank job planned, just hope i can get a refund on the balaclava :rolleyes:
i asume that the biggest improvement was the power leads to the summits.

Back