System #220 (CLX/Descent i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Current pics to outline recent changes. Naim 555 is back at the mothership for an update, should be back any day!

Yes it is, actually it's three of them. Sent to me by DEVO themselves back in the day. I used to date their secretary's sister!

Never got to meet em though, but always got free concert tickets,

Hey Jeff, I looked back over my initial post over a year ago when I put your system up on the forum. Who says good things don't come to fruition !!

Burmester sale

First there is a deuce of Burmester 911 for sale on the 'gon. If anyone is interested. $25k for the pair. Available separately for$12.5.

Secondly is there some reason Bumester does not rate it's amp wattage into eight ohms.:confused:

Gregadd:cool:

Because their speakers are 4 ohm...

That's a screaming deal on those 911's. I can't even buy one that cheap..
I hope someone didn't lose their job. They actually just went up to $34,500 each.

Gotta get some new pics after the issue, things have changed around a bit..

Last edited:
thanks

"Because their speakers are 4 ohm..."

I was intereted because the best sold state amps "double down."

Look forward to new pictures.

"Because their speakers are 4 ohm..."

I was intereted because the best sold state amps "double down."

Look forward to new pictures.

Some do, some don't. It rarely corresponds to the sound. Every designer has different a different perspective on how to design an output stage.

I thought you just bought a Moscode amp...

Some do, some don't. It rarely corresponds to the sound. Every designer has different a different perspective on how to design an output stage.

Does the 911 Double down?

I thought you just bought a Moscode amp...

If it did I could figure out what the wattage was into 8 ohms

It is burning in in my bedroom system.

What's your point?

Doesn't really matter, as nothing's ever just 8 ohms, so it's a lot more dynamic than that.

Buy an amp that sounds good in your system and call it a day. I know I can play the 911 way louder than I need to and like my Premier 350, I can't drive it loud enough to clip with the CLX's or my other two main reference speakers (the Harbeth Monitor 40.1s and the Verity Sarastro II's), so at that point, it has enough power.

If I ever get a speaker in for review and determine I need more power, I'll get a 2nd 911.

Just gathering inofrmation.

I have no point. I am just seeking info. Just trying to see if I should get an audition.
BTW I too owned an CJ MV50.

Enjoy your weekend.

Care to comment?

This description of the CLX was pointed by an audiogon member.

"Speaking only for myself, I have listened to the CLX's driven by Krell Evo 600 and 900, MBL 9010 and by Boulder 2060. Without question everyone at the audition far and away preferred the Boulder. As Boulder's flagship? 600 watt Class A amp, it provided a purity of tone that drove the speakers exceedingly well. Much better than the Krell which exacerbated (relative to MBL and Boulder) the fact that the speaker provides a wonderfully engaging holographic soundstage (but feels a touch "hollow" through the midband.
Overall, back to the speaker itself, it is a captivating sound without doubt. Midrange magic is alive and well...augemented by its soundstaging. The soundstage, 'breath around voices' is unique and one of the great things many of us love about panels. However, I think this panel will benefit from the Descent sub which is now being shipped with a CLX setting on it.

Compared to SF Strads, original Wilson Grand Slamm (all same price here in UK as CLX) the ML CLX feels hollow in the midband. The bodies sound ethereal, yes, but compared to Strad, do not feel as 'there' in 3D as I thought until compared them. As panels, Apogee Stages and Quad 2905 also had more 'body' to my ear. 2905 def not as refined as the CLX by a fair margin.
In sum, imho, once the Descent is added, the CLX could be an absolutely killer combination of panel magic, dynamics, bass and true body in the music. Without the Descent, I would enjoy but not ultimately choose the ClX for that price. Enjoy!

Any plans to reveiw the Allnic preamp?

Hollow throught the midband?

"did you read our review on the CLX?..."

Repeatedly.

"...(but feels a touch "hollow" through the midband..."

I don't think you said that?

Gregadd:afro:

Why Hijack this Thread?

gregadd,

Any particular reason you are derailing Jeff's System Thread with extraneous questions about audio gear? You could use a P.M. or start a new thread to get your questions answered. It just seems rude to hijack someone's system thread for no particular reason, especially considering:

I have no point. I am just seeking info.

And, back on topic . . . Great system, Jeff. I can't wait to audition it and take a tour of your offices next time I am in Portland.

"did you read our review on the CLX?..."

Repeatedly.

"...(but feels a touch "hollow" through the midband..."

I don't think you said that?

I didn't say that. The guy who heard this was getting this as a result of listening to the Boulder electronics. That's the "hollow through the midband" not the CLX.

If you are really serious about a pair of CLX's and you really have the money to buy them, you need to go somewhere and listen to them. Then you need to buy amplification that will complement the sound and give you the flavor you want.

You can't make a purchase at this level if you are going to get all willy-nilly every time you read what someone has to say about the speaker. If you like the MartinLogan sound, you will love the CLX, provided you have enough room for the speakers and a pair of good subs, and the setup skills to make the speakers sing. If you don't I highly suggest hiring Jim Smith, as one of our other members here did. (If you've got the dough for CLX's, subs and suitable amplification, you've probably got an extra couple thousand to afford a good set up guy)

Set up properly in the right room, with great electronics, the CLX is one of the most musically involving speakers I've had the pleasure of living with or reviewing. I wrote about 4500 words in the review, I really can't tell you anymore, you have to make the decision.

And it will require some work as well as some cash. This is a speaker that takes a fair amount of time to get dialed in, as I'm sure the other CLX owners here on the forum will agree.

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

"Any particular reason you are derailing Jeff's System Thread with extraneous questions about audio gear? You could use a P.M. or start a new thread to get your questions answered. It just seems rude to hijack someone's system thread for no particular reason..."

I think I've gotten about all I can get get out of this site. I'll be leaving for a while. You guys have fun.
Enjoy the music.

I totally agree - why is he hijacking your thread here???
Update: well it seems like he go the message!

Jeff, Great setup - I am sure it sounds wonderful!

gordon

gregadd,

Any particular reason you are derailing Jeff's System Thread with extraneous questions about audio gear? You could use a P.M. or start a new thread to get your questions answered. It just seems rude to hijack someone's system thread for no particular reason, especially considering:

And, back on topic . . . Great system, Jeff. I can't wait to audition it and take a tour of your offices next time I am in Portland.

Back