System #101 (Summit X)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rearranged the equipment so the rack is not positioned in the center anymore. I'm afraid it may be interfering with the music a little.

Toe'D

whats the deal w/the HUGE toe-in I see everyone running w/their two chan systems?

Martin Logain tech support told me (years ago) about using a flashlight to properly align the speakers. has some new / better method been discovered?

Mine are toed in maybe an inch. two tops.

whats the deal w/the HUGE toe-in I see everyone running w/their two chan systems?

Martin Logain tech support told me (years ago) about using a flashlight to properly align the speakers. has some new / better method been discovered?

Mine are toed in maybe an inch. two tops.

I find it sounds best that way.

George, Looking good. That new Pass pre should be fun to experience.

I finally completed building my custom amp stand. Now the amp is on the throne like a king. :bowdown:

Nice to see another pair of Odyssey's in the forum. Can you tell me about the need for a DAC with a SACD player?

rampage60, thanks, I was curious because you wrote about getting your DAC when you still have the NAD C542 CD player. I was wondering if the Marantz SA-8001 player really needed a DAC. I still have a 15 year old Sony XA7-ES CD player yet when I had a Theta Casa Nova processor & sent digital out from the Sony I heard little difference. Also another Martin Logan forum person visited my house with a complete computer base CD to DVD transfer system via a DAC. In other words; if I wanted to upgrade I have 3 options:

1. Universal transport
2. DAC for redbooks
3. computer base CD to DVD transfer system via a DAC

Let me write it another way; does your Marantz sound better than the NAD with DAC? Or did you sell your NAD before you could test the DAC between the 2?

rampage60, thanks, I was curious because you wrote about getting your DAC when you still have the NAD C542 CD player. I was wondering if the Marantz SA-8001 player really needed a DAC. I still have a 15 year old Sony XA7-ES CD player yet when I had a Theta Casa Nova processor & sent digital out from the Sony I heard little difference. Also another Martin Logan forum person visited my house with a complete computer base CD to DVD transfer system via a DAC. In other words; if I wanted to upgrade I have 3 options:

1. Universal transport
2. DAC for redbooks
3. computer base CD to DVD transfer system via a DAC

Let me write it another way; does your Marantz sound better than the NAD with DAC? Or did you sell your NAD before you could test the DAC between the 2?

Yes it does, my current transport & DAC performes better at resolution and tighter bass. It’s also definitely more reveling too. Many recording studios use the Benchmark DAC1 as their playback reference. Also it plays SACD format which the NAD did not.

Last edited:
George, Congrats, that's a nice looking player. Enjoy :music:

Believe it or not, I just swapped out my Krell SACD Standard CDP with an Esoteric DV-50s. I felt the transport section in the Krell was not up to par for what it cost and about a 30 second delay before it plays. It did play wonderfully. After just playing the Esoteric a couple of hours I can say without a doubt in my mind it is the next step up from the Krell in both audio play back and build quality. It only takes 10 seconds to play and it weighs almost 50lbs. I’m VERY pleased with it!!! This is a keeper!!!:music: :music:

Last edited:
rampage60,

:eek: !!!!!WOW!!!!!:eek: Yup, that about sums it up. Your setup is AMAZING!:bowdown: Esoteric and Pass Labs, I'm jealous.;)

Seth

Beautiful system. I love the CD player...

Yes, its style matches the Pass Labs equipment perfectly. Almost looks like it was built for Pass Labs. Sonically I feel it's a perfect match. Having the Esoteric retrieving every detail possible from the medium and the Pass Labs equipment allowing it all to pass thru without any interference. It's all music to my ears. :music:

Back