System #101 (Summit X)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bass response to die for!

I decided to place under my sub a 2” thick piece of Mahogany board supported by brass spikes underneath it. I am astonished on how much it improved on the lower bass frequencies by tightening up & providing a more solid feel minus the boomyness. Below is a photo of the sub placed on top of the board. I’d say it’s a tweak worth doing for obtaining that perfect bass response in the lower registers. Very happy!!!

hifid.jpg

I decided to place under my sub a 2” thick piece of Mahogany board supported by brass spikes underneath it. I am astonished on how much it improved on the lower bass frequencies by tightening up & providing a more solid feel minus the boomyness. Below is a photo of the sub placed on top of the board. I’d say it’s a tweak worth doing for obtaining that perfect bass response in the lower registers. Very happy!!!
Jeff Z strikes again!!!

Panamax Max 5400-ex

Beautifull system! :bowdown:

I should have my Summits (replacing Vantage/Descent i combo) in a couple of weeks. I am running outdated Hafler equipment (DH200 power and DH100 pre) for now, but am researching amps and preamps, and more importantly saving my dollars up, for upgrades.

I just had two dedicated 20 amp lines installed with PS Audio Power port receptacles. That's the extent of the system for now.

Because I need to upgrade the pre/power amps, I'm looking at putting the money there. However, I am looking at power conditioners / surge protection too, but don't want to spend a fortune on this. My dealer carries Panamax.

What exactly do you have plugged into your PANAMAX MAX 5400-EX?

Are you satisfied with the unit, and does it effect the sound to any degree?

I see a lot of PS Audio, Shunyata, Furman, among others listed in other ML systems, but knowing I need a pre/power amp, I can't justify $1,500 to $2,000 here.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks! :D

JM

Thanks JM,

I have pretty much everything plugged into the PANAMAX except for the sub and the right side Odyssey. I feel very confident that my system is not effected in any negative way and it's protecting my equipment too. :rocker:

Thanks JM,

I have pretty much everything plugged into the PANAMAX except for the sub and the right side Odyssey. I feel very confident that my system is not effected in any negative way and it's protecting my equipment too. :rocker:

I would still advise you to try the amp and source directly off the wall. You never know... Just do a listening session in that configuration and see if you find it different and, more importantly, likable (however, don't try to pinpoint differences, just let the music flow). It worked for me.

I would still advise you to try the amp and source directly off the wall. You never know... Just do a listening session in that configuration and see if you find it different and, more importantly, likable (however, don't try to pinpoint differences, just let the music flow). It worked for me.

With our lightning storms here in Florida I dare not take the chance. I hate to see my equipment get zapped. Thanks for the advice anyways. :rocker:

George,

What an awesome setup! I am new and I am just starting to look through all of the fantastic systems posted here. I just bought a PS Audio Power Plant Premier and was considering using their power cables in my system. Can you tell me how you like them?

Thanks for the compliment Doug. That “PS Audio Power Plant Premier” is a nice piece of equipment. I hope to purchase one for myself 1Q next year for my dedicated 2CH equipment.

I consider the PC’ s from PS Audio to be some of the best for their craftsmanship and top grade material. Also their price is reasonable compared to other high-end PS out there on the market. I don’t think you can’t go wrong using their PC’s. It’s a A+ in my book! :music:

At this point I am VERY VERY satisfied with the sound of my 2CH system that I feel it will be a few years before I'll change something out. Now I can just relax and enjoy my system for MANY hours. :music:

P.S. I may just add a music server to it next year. ;)

I'm glad you're still enjoying those Odysseys. Although, I'm happy with what I have I would have liked to have heard how they would sound with the amps and better room acoustics that I have now rather than the bare walls and Krell integrated I was using with them at the time.

Last edited:
Hah! You know you've achieved audio nirvana when you start swapping pictures instead of gear! Lookin' good!

Love the set up, really nice gear, I bet it sounds exceptionally smooooth!

Thanks! Yes it did! Now I'm swapping some gear again and up-scaling my ML's. Should have some details in about a week or so. I'll keep you all posted. PEACE!

A few Photos of Summit Xs...

As promised, here are a few photos I took tonight of my Summit Xs.

SummitX_001.jpg

SummitX_002.jpg

SummitX_003.jpg

SummitX_004.jpg

Last edited:
Hi George,

Good lookin setup.

Once you get things dialed in, you might want to try adjusting the panel azimuth so that it's close to 90 degrees from the floor. Looks like they are a bit slanted "back" from the pictures.

Happy listening.

GG

Back