Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning's listening started with Ben Webster, "At the Renaissance". Just a great album, with pristine sound by Analogue Productions.
588961439_sQApw-M.jpg

Following Ben's sax was "Coltrane". No accolades needed.
588961491_XP4zm-M.jpg

For a change of pace, I put on "Wooden Shiips". I really like this album. If you like Pink Floyd, I think you would like this. That's not to say they sound like Pink Floyd, they don't. But the music should carry you away. A favorite.
588961365_PjQQ6-M.jpg

Nice. There will probably be some ARC stuff in my future, too. Hopefully, when the Ref 5 starts selling there will be some Ref 3 stuff for a reasonable price. :D

Only had time for one album this morning before taking my two grandaughters to our farm. On the way back, I believe they ate their own weight in barbeque at Myers BBQ, in Elgen. The album I listened to was an old one, way back from 1980, "The Jealous Kind", by Delbert McClinton. I'm a Delbert fan, so I don't think you can buy a bad record from him.
595536941_Qo3jp-M.jpg

Rocking out to 'Within Temptation' Dark Symphony.

Great intro to a heavy prog-rock band from the Netherlands.

This CD/DVD combo disc is a really nice intro to the band, and the video is superb, and the 24/96 DTS 5.1 audio soundtrack is very, very good.

51WGkakQwIL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Rocking out to 'Within Temptation' Dark Symphony.

Great intro to a heavy prog-rock band from the Netherlands.

This CD/DVD combo disc is a really nice intro to the band, and the video is superb, and the 24/96 DTS 5.1 audio soundtrack is very, very good.

51WGkakQwIL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I enjoyed this while visiting Jonathan over the weekend... OUTSTANDING concert w/ a great Audio soundtrack... :music:

I actually enjoyed these two albums late last night. The sound quality on both was superb.
First up was Pat Metheny with Christian McBride & Antonio Sanchez, "Day Trip/Tokyo Day Trip Live". "Day Trip" was four vinyl sides, while Tokyo Live was two vinyl sides. Also included were two CDs.

Japanese audiences seem to be very polite, as they let the players finish their tunes prior to showing their appreciation. The live set sounded just as good, if not better, than the studio set. The live set were completely different tunes, as well.

Now for the music. This album has some very beautiful, melodic tunes, as well as some of the hardest playing I've ever heard. One of Pat's guitar solos was so metallic and bombastic that it made a hard charging Metallica solo sound like a Mary Poppins tune.
602182831_gcnzd-M.jpg

Next up was "Mudcrutch". Reprise Records did a stellar job on this one. It also came with a CD of the performance. It was noted on the CD liner that, "The Audiophile CD is made from the same uncompressed stereo masters as the vinyl pressing. It reproduces the music's full dynamic range, so the quiet parts are quieter and the loud parts are louder - just as they were performed. To achieve full dynamic range it's necessary to master with less overall level, so the Audiophile CD may not sound as "loud" as the standard CD or download. To compensate for this, put it on a high quality system and turn it up!" Bravo, Reprise!

The music. In a word, excellent! A couple of covers, "Shady Grove" and "Lover of the Bayou", a couple of songs by members of the band and the rest penned by Tom Petty. This is really great rock, some of the best I've heard in years. My personal favorite was "Crystal River", where the band really stretched out.
602182744_iSVzn-M.jpg

a little folk and alt folk from Naim Audio...

These are great discs, killer sound quality!

Attachments

• naim mus.jpg
    naim mus.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 171
My Sunday morning CD, ECM label “Nik Bartsch’s Ronin Holon” is an excellent CD to evaluate your bass extensions, articulation and speed. Tracks provide sufficient mid to upper ranges to make it enjoyable.

51YnvyjorcL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition

Grooving to the latest release from the Prog rock band Riverside, called 'Anno Domini - High Definition'.

For those that like IQ, Steve Wilson, Porupine Tree, Dream Theater, these guys are pretty cool stuff.

Satch, the leader of this band is a bassist and plays some of the meanest leads on Bass I’ve ever heard.

I’m continually amazed at how well my rig handles these highly layered, complex instrumental heavy rock pieces. A good room sure helps.

The soundstage on this album is incredible. Playing back in pure 2ch mode, there are sounds coming from what sounds like my immediate left (20 ft from the speakers).

Low-frequency (synth notes) are really deep. Room is shaking right now, but no ‘boom’.

Attachments

• folder.jpg
    folder.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 285
Riverside

Hey JonFo,

Thanks for the heads up about the Riverside Band. You know I'm a fool for a good bass line. :)

Speaking of bass lines... After I got home from a small gig (acoustic bass and guitar) I put on one of my new favorite bass players, Scott LaFaro with The Bill Evans Trio. "Waltz for Debby" This is about the 5th time I've played it and every time I hear something new. Recorded live at The Village Vanguard; New York; June 25th 1961. Tragically Scott LaFaro died a few weeks after this was recorded. Bill Evans included songs on "Waltz for Debby" that showcase some of LaFaro's brilliant solos.

Satch

For those that like IQ, Steve Wilson, Porupine Tree, Dream Theater, these guys are pretty cool stuff.

Will definitely look out for this group. DT is one of my favorite bands (they killed at Merriweather this past Saturday :rocker:). Just picked up PT's Lightbulb Sun with the 5.1 DVDA - great stuff.

Will look into Steve Wilson and IQ too; thanks for the tip.

Some British soul, Estelle- Shine and American pop, Lady Gaga- The Fame and The Fray- How To Save A Life

Attachments

• Untitled-4 copy.jpg
    Untitled-4 copy.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 242
Some new CDs I picked up this week.

Attachments

• doors1.jpg
    doors1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 202
  • doors2.jpg
    doors2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 202
  • LivingInThePast_MobileFidelity.jpg
    LivingInThePast_MobileFidelity.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 201
  • joplin.jpg
    joplin.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 199
Today, it's been two jazz greats, Sonny Rollins and McCoy Tyner. I am using my new apple computer and haven't figured out how to open up two instances of the internet, so I'll have to post and then edit, in order to attach both pics.

627776381_wptZV-L.jpg

627776307_7QxwH-L.jpg

Last edited:
Today, it's been two jazz greats, Sonny Rollins and McCoy Tyner. I am using my new apple computer and haven't figured out how to open up two instances of the internet, so I'll have to post and then edit, in order to attach both pics.

Steve, funny, you've captured one of my favorite Jazz albums and one of my least favorite in your listening session. For whatever reason I have NEVER been able to get into that McCoy Tyner LP. The Sonny Rollins however - transendental and sublime.

With the summer in full swing I've only been setting the Sonos on shuffle in the mornings before I head out for a mountain bike ride. This morning it was Mount Falcon just south of Red Rocks. 3000 foot climb in just at 3 miles and a nice look down into Red Rocks along the way. Then a swing out on the Castle trail and a fun climb up Parmalee Gulch, then the descent back into Morrison. The only music I heard was my heart about to pound out of my chest. I'll get back into the LP's when things start to get cooler in the mornings.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back