Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flip Wilson - The Devil Made Me Buy This Dress. Great recording, and Flip's voice just hangs between the speakers. Really shows off the Logans :D
I bought about 1,000 records yesterday, all sorts of titles. Most of them are in pretty good shape, some not, but they're all pretty dirty. I'm looking for a decent way to clean some of the better titles without a RCM and keep them, then who knows what with the other 950.

Mike, you're going to be busy cleaning those records! I used to clean records by scrubbing them with a dishcloth and some soapy water, rinsing and then then drying, by rotating them on a dry towel. I always got the label wet and it was slow...very slow. A VPI 16.5 is a very good thing to have. It cleans better and is so much faster. Congrats on the new records!

It was a mellow morning for me today...
521340705_5Aeq2-M.jpg

521340717_K3sbf-M.jpg

I started off this morning with Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris - All the Roadrunning, great stuff!

Next up was Melody Gardot with her Worrisome Heart, great disc!

Finished up with Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Raising Sand. I saw this show last year at Red Rocks and it was awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 189
Very interesting that the Melody Gardot disc has been discussed so much of late.

No listening for me this morning. It was nice and sunny out so I went for a mountain bike ride. I did stop by my favorite record store though (Twist & Shout) and picked up a few items. It's raining now so I'll be doing some Sunday Afternoon Listening. Since I took the photo I've listened to side one of Melody Gardot's newest release "My One and Only Thrill". It's great so far! One perk of vinyl - this has been out on the black pizza for a few weeks, the CD won't release until Tuesday. After that I'll likely spin the ORG pressing of Dianna Krall's "Live in Paris", one of my favorites by her. I also grabbed my favorite Ben Harper recording on vinyl while I was at it "Fight For Your Mind".

Making a Kettle One martini (extra dirty) right now - can't do that in the morning. It's gonna be a nice afternoon!

Attachments

• KrallHarperGardot.jpg
    KrallHarperGardot.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 180
I've recently changed my amp from the Jolida to the Krell and am enjoying the transistor difference for a while, at least. I'm already missing the magical midrange of the tube amp, but am relishing in the seemingly infinite detail of the transistor amp.
First up was some classical music. I'm slowly getting acquanted with the large classical collection that was my Dad's. This one has some beautiful violin playing and massive horns. It seems a little repetitive to me, but then a lot of classical does (to me). All in all, a nice listening experience.

527115737_MEEEu-M.jpg

Next up was some nice jazz from some masters...
527115743_Pg2ZM-M.jpg

Got a couple in this morning, first up was the Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Session and the smoldering vocals of Margo Timmins! Next up was Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia, good stuff with a couple songs that included James Taylor and Van Morrison.

Attachments

• IMG_0313.JPG
    IMG_0313.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 283
Had some great listening this morning. Started with Savoy Brown's, "Looking In". Don't let the cover art fool you, this is some very good stuff. Kim Simmonds plays some very raw blues riffs here. In this iteration of the English blues band, Lonesome Dave takes over the vocals and actually did a great job on this album.
532842125_QGki9-M.jpg

Next up was one I hadn't listened to in many a year (the same could be said of the Savoy Brown album!). I enjoyed rereading the enclosed "newspaper" while listening. For some reason, many years ago, the album cover was damaged by tape during a household move. Luckily, the vinyl was unharmed! "Really don't mind if you sit this one out."
532842134_7qsBe-M.jpg

The wife was sleeping and I could'nt so I put on a pot of Italian Roast and headed down to the Man Cave for a little listening

I forgot how great a vocalist Eva Cassidy is (was) she passed away to young I had a great session with these two discs (was in a mellow mood)

Enjoy your sunday

Attachments

• 100_6021.jpg
    100_6021.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 100_6022.jpg
    100_6022.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 234
Nothing big just some background music. Kenny Loggins , Dire straits and Dave Mason

Started this AM with Diana Krall - The Girl in the Other Room, excellent for reading the Sunday paper to!

Next up was new addition to my collection, Ben Harper and the Blind Boys of Alabama - There Will be a Light. This is a well recorded redbook CD and if you can't make it to church, its the next best thing!

Attachments

• IMG_0381.JPG
    IMG_0381.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 225
After being in the mid 90's for the last couple of days, it was only in the 60's this morning. I got in a little listening to two new ones I picked up yesterday, then it was off on a day long ride. First up was a "first edition Japanese pressing" of Neil Young, "Sugar Mountain, Live at the Canterbury House 1968". This is disc 00 of the Neil Young Archives Performance Series. I believe there are three discs out so far, at least that's all I have. The sound quality on these is astounding. This particular one was recorded at 7 1/2 tape speed and has tape hiss, but it sounds like you are listening directly to the tape, as the vinyl background is about as good as it gets. Very highly recommended.
539233143_9YiTV-M.jpg

Next up was the new one by Bob Dylan, "Together Through Life". This album is very bluesy, very good and has excellent sound. Also, very highly recommended.
539233124_XSjtf-M.jpg

It's a rainy day (much needed) here, in Round Rock. To start things off, it was Warren Zevon. We lost a great talent when he passed.
544526150_hF2QJ-M.jpg

Next up was one of my favorite songwriters/artist, Tom Waits. His albums always leave me wanting more. "Tom Waits Real Gone" is an excellent double album and has great sound.
544526198_btvtq-M.jpg

Last up was Frank Zappa's, "Jazz From Hell". This one will exercise your speakers, trust me.:D
544526211_Q8sSS-M.jpg

Not really an album, rather a video segment... Lucia Micarelli in a duet with Chris Botti playing Emmanuel from the Live in Boston Blu-ray. I never heard of her before, but man, is she ever HOT! I'll definitely be buying more of her recordings!

Attachments

• lucia.JPG
    lucia.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 151
Not really an album, rather a video segment... Lucia Micarelli in a duet with Chris Botti playing Emmanuel from the Live in Boston Blu-ray. I never heard of her before, but man, is she ever HOT! I'll definitely be buying more of her recordings!

Oh man don't get me started on Lucia.
SHe is also on the Josh Groban Blu-Ray.

BTW, great song, that one. The original by Michel Colombier has Toots Thielemans playing the violin's part. Heavenly.

"Musiquita", the latest from Marta Gomez, the singer from Colombia with the gorgeous voice. Not on the Chesky label this time, and only available from CD Baby. A beautiful album.

Attachments

• Musiquita.jpg
    Musiquita.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 117
Patricia Barber . "Companion"

Attachments

• 51027P1WC9L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    51027P1WC9L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 115
Starting my morning of with
Mahler:Symphony No.3
I really like this one and it is perfect as the new season is just rolling in