Summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russb

Reaction score
I hvae a question in reguards to the Summits.

What is everybody's opinion on a Sub. with the Summits ?

Will a Sub. add anything to improve, or is it a wast of money ?

This set up is 2-channel only.

Thanks
Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
For two channel only, a sub is a waste of money with the Summits in my opinion. The Summits' low end is more than adequate for two channel. I have the Summits and a Descent. I don't use the Descent for two channel. I only use it for home theater.

I have exactly the same input as Rich. I too have Summits with a Descent within a 7.2 HT/Music system, and whenever I listen to music its 2-channel with everything except the Summits disabled. Their powered, 10" sub is more than sufficient for music.

I hvae a question in reguards to the Summit's.

What is everybody's opinion on a Sub. with the Summit's ?

Will a Sub. add anything to improve, or is it a wast of money ?

This set up is 2-channel only.

Thanks
Russ

What kind of music do you listen to?

I use a Descent with the Summits and though it doesn't always contribute as much weight to the presentation because the Summits go down very low, it has helped me to even out a couple of bumps in my rooms frequency response.

By rolling the Summits off a touch, I was able to get a smoother and tighter low end in the room when we did the measurements with the Descent in place than without. It did take a fair amount of screwing around and I do have a dedicated room, so had the luxury of putting the sub where it worked the best not having to worry about making it work with the rooms aesthetics.

Again, we are not talking about a huge difference here, so it will depend on your room and as the others mentioned, your choice of music. If you only have limited placement options for your summits and descent, it might not solve any problems for you in a 2ch situation.

I like the extra weight myself.

I, too, use the Summits by themselves for 2-channel listening. I have an NHT Sub Two, that I use for home theater only.

A well placed and calibrated, quality sub is always a plus in any system. Unlike stereo speakers, you can place the sub for best bass response independently of mid and high frequency sound quality. The CLX is the best speaker ML now makes, and it is designed for a sub to handle the bottom octave. The Statement used dual multidriver subs to astonishing effect.

Thanks everyone for your honest input. I was just looking to add a new piece of equipment. Probably will not go the Sub. route.
I like to listen to Sound tracks like by James Horner and other classical music. I also like Jazz, rock, and some folk music.

Thanks Again
Russ

Thanks everyone for your honest input. I was just looking to add a new piece of equipment. Probably will not go the Sub. route.
I like to listen to Sound tracks like by James Horner and other classical music. I also like Jazz, rock, and some folk music.

Thanks Again
Russ

Pipe organ music?

Not a big fan of Pipe Organ Music, Some of this kind of music is fine but I personally I don't own any.

Is there some Pipe Organ Music that is recommend ?

Russ

Not a big fan of Pipe Organ Music, Some of this kind of music is fine but I personally I don't own any.

Is there some Pipe Organ Music that is recommend ?

Russ

The reason I asked, is because pipe organ music, with extremely low bass is probably the only reason you'd need to add a sub/s.

Back