SUMMIT X RATTLE

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norfolker

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I have a pair of Summit X speakers that I bought new some years ago. They are wonderful and I have no interest in changing them. However, one unit has developed a rattle that seems to come from the bass box and is excited at low frequencies. I would be interested to learn if others have had similar experiences and how they got it fixed.
It sounds to me as if something has become loose inside the box.
Many thanks in anticipation.

Firstly, make sure none of the cabinet legs are loose. If not, perhaps some of the bass driver screws have loosened. You can gently touch the down-firing driver to make sure it's not the issue. Also check the front driver with a flashlight, and see if it looks solid. Otherwise, you might need to remove the back panel/power supply to inspect it, and the cabinet interior.

Hola.
Verify which woofer is causing the rattle. Mine was the bottom woofer. A speaker cable came lose, and it was touching the speaker cone. Once I secure again the cable, problem was solved.

Happy listening!

Thank you Sleepysurf and Roberto.
I was disappointed at my own lack of initiative to check out the feet. I found I could get almost a quarter turn on the locking ring on the spikes. This done, the speaker was back to being fabulous.
Thanks again for your prompt and helpful advice.

Back