subwoofer complement

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aris A

Reaction score
For members who still owns the Scenario's, have you complemented it with a subwoofer? If yes, what specs should I be looking at in purchasing a sub? Thanks for any input.

Aris A said:
For members who still owns the Scenario's, have you complemented it with a subwoofer? If yes, what specs should I be looking at in purchasing a sub? Thanks for any input.

I had mine paired with a velodyne 10" servo sub (HGS10). It was quick and tight, more than enough to keep up with the Scenario's.

Sealed box, small driver/s and fast!

Aris,

Don't worry too much about specs in choosing a sub, but try and demo some at home to see what you like best.

For me, I found that the smaller upmarket M&K models provided a great synergy with my Scenarios, and I would recommend both the MX700 and VX100 models. I ended up buying the VX100 (recently discontinued) and found it to be an ideal match with the Scenarios.

Although it all comes down to personal taste, I'd strongly recommend sealed box designs as they tend not to roll off so quickly at the bottom end, and provide a better integration with the sealed box design of the Scenarios bass driver. Smaller 8" or 10" drivers also tend to be faster than their larger and heavier conterparts.

Another aspect to consider might be that the downward firing models like some REL and M&K seem less inclined to interfere with the midrange from the main speakers.

For the record, I think the Scenarios (with appropriate partnering equipment) are capable of providing outstanding reproduction.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Acoustat/Dolfin. I would be checking out subs to audition with the Scenarios. I would have to settle with these speakers for quite awhile since it will kill me financially to purchase brand new ones so I have to tweak it for the most sound it will give out.

ML Descent or Depth...

Aris A said:
Aris A,

I highly recommend the Descent subwoofer. :D It is a wonderful subwoofer, fast and quick servo controlled. Just what electrostatic pannels need. It was engineered by ML to seamlessly blend with your ML elctrostatic speakers. I love it because the Descent is very dynamic and powerful in HT, and in stereo or two channel (with subwoofer), music listening too. I have listened to the Depth too. I think it is a wondeful choice too. Jeff has one and loves it, with his CLSiiz's... :D It is more reasonalby priced too.

Good luck on your subwoofer quest... :D

Cheers

-Robin

The Scenarios may be small ML's but they have a midrange accuracy that borders on magic.

I wanted as much detail from the bass so I chose a sealed-box Velodyne SPL12. This sub rarely needs to be turned up very far. I find the bass 'lags' a bit. It is good fun moving the thing around to get different sounds - the best was putting it centered and ahead of the speakers. I find that I adjust both the Xover and level for every recording, or time of night!

So get a sub which goes low rather than loud.

Cheers
Adrian

Aris A said:
I use a Rel Strata 3 sub with my Scenarios and the results are fantastic!

Additional question...

Just an additional question to my inquiry for all of you...I have a separate system for my 2 channel (System #73 for pics). How would you run the sub to a 2 channel setup? I read a thread from someone(forgot who he is)in this forum that he has qualms running it between the amp & the speakers probably due to interference or whatever his reasons are. I do have a tube preamp that I can have modified to add a pair of outputs where I can connect the sub or sell it and look for one with an pre-out already. Which would you prefer if you would have it your way. Just need your opinions so I can have some basis for my options. Thanks again guys. :)

Back