Sub in adjoining room to save space

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube60

Reaction score
Hi all
I bought a 62" DLP TV from a friend in the service industry after he rebuilt the power supply. Mfr. replaced it under warranty. So for parts, labor and a 90 day warranty, I got a $3k unit for beer money!
I'm limited for wall length in my living room. I'll be using my existing audio gear for a "HT 2.2" setup (Sequels + sub + center channel) for now. However a sub creates a problem for where to put it! An idea I'm playing with is to place it in the next room, near the adjoining wall, with pass-through connections set up for the cabling. It's common practice to do the rough equivalent in car audio, placing the sub in the trunk. My main, and obvious, concern will be what the dividing wall will do to the lowest frequencies; attenuation, phase changes, etc. Has anyone done this, by force of necessity or just to try it?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Best regards,
Ross

It won't work. Though the lowest frequencies pass through walls pretty easily, the transmission will vary with frequency. My Velodyne woofer is on the LR wall adjacent to my bedroom and the bass in the bedroom sucks, boomy and ill defined. I'd try something else, anything else.

Back