SPL meter

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboomnash

Reaction score
Alright, I am close to hooking up my new Amp and doing a full tweaking of the ML Vantages. Is it worth it to buy a Radio Shack Sound Pressure Level Meter?
Is the test tone on the Sony ES AVR fine for using with the SPL meter or should I get a special CD?

Lee

I recently read a review (Audio Express) that said that the old analog version of the RS SPL meter is more accurate. You can calibrate your speakers using your test tones (from the receiver or pre-pro) or using an external source. The meter is a very good investment, and not at all expensive.

I recently read a review (Audio Express) that said that the old analog version of the RS SPL meter is more accurate. You can calibrate your speakers using your test tones (from the receiver or pre-pro) or using an external source. The meter is a very good investment, and not at all expensive.

While the Radio Shack meter is accurate, it is not too well calibrated through all of the frequency range. Make sure you download a correction table first. (From memory, it's over 2dB out below 40Hz).

But yes, it's a very good tool - I've used the analogue one to calibrate my DSP1124P.

I'm not sure what the test tones are like on the Sony - it is probably OK, but if you want to be really certain you can make yourself a test CD using Audacity to create the WAV files at any frequency point you like. You could probably start off with the Sony, and make a test CD at 1/60th octave intervals if there is any area you find particularly bumpy and want to really fine tune!

Last edited:
Why don't you try Phonic PAA3? It is very accurate but expensive (about US$ 400).

Why don't you try Phonic PAA3? It is very accurate but expensive (about US$ 400).

Goodness, I am an enthusiast not an audiophile :music: ! I would rather use the $400 to buy a Squeezebox or a new DVD changer. But, thank you for the suggestion.

I went ahead and ordered the "7-Range Analog Display Sound Level Meter".

Hopefully, I will be able to figure out what you mean by bumps, nodes and 40hz, etc. Should be a learning experience.

Lee

Well, most often you're just trying to match levels at a given listening position. For that, it doesn't matter how accurate the SPL is, as you just care about getting the same SPL measurement.

Goodness, I am an enthusiast not an audiophile :music: ! I would rather use the $400 to buy a Squeezebox or a new DVD changer. But, thank you for the suggestion.

I went ahead and ordered the "7-Range Analog Display Sound Level Meter".

Hopefully, I will be able to figure out what you mean by bumps, nodes and 40hz, etc. Should be a learning experience.

Lee

Lee,
If you bought the Rat-Shack analog meter there are known calibration curves that can be downloaded or printed out. I can't recall any particular sources off the top, but it should be a relatively easy google search. Also research "house curve" and it will give you a lot of background on how to use the sound meter and philosophy of room acoustics, test CD's etc. Good investment! Have fun!

Brian

Back