Marantz sr7005 or av7005

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakham

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm running a Sunfire TGIV processor into a Sunfire Grand Signature amp, powering a pair of Vantages, Logos center, and Aerius i rears.

I'm thinking of changing out the processor....keeping the amp.

I really want something at least as musical as the Sunfire TGIV. I also want the newer codecs for movies + some form of room correction. For the Sunfire I used the trusty radio shack SPL meter with software and lots of manual tweaking.

I have considered the Arcam AV888 and Anthem D2V (with ARC) but they are way out of my price range. I have thought about the Integra/Onkyo but I haven't read rave reviews about their musicality.

I would like a warmer sound for music as the ML speakers tend to be bright to begin with.

I am leaning towards the Marantz AV7005 (or at least to try it out). My issue is the receiver version, the SR7005 is $200 cheaper than the AV7005. The SR doesn't have balanced outputs, and probably will waste more power, but it gives me channels in reserve if I decide to mix up my configuration down the road.

Would I be doing an injustice getting the receiver version instead of the processor version?

OR
I know there is a lot of Denon love out there....can anybody confirm if a 4311ci (let's say) would be as (or more) musical than the Sunfire? This particular receiver has the ability to completely shutdown the amp section which is intriguing.

OR
Would it make more sense to use a stereo preamp with passthrough + any one of the movie processor/receivers mentioned?

I wish I could demo some of these ideas, but none of the box stores carry the gear, and I would feel really bad about demoing it at a specialty store only to buy it cheaper online later.

SR7005 is receiver and AV7005 is processor. It looks like you already have more than capable amplifier. I'd definitely go with AV7005 and external amplification (Sunfire). Any receiver driving five electrostatics would be very interesting to see and maybe even listen :)
Currently have AV8003 (older model, but some say more musical) and preamp section stands close to Krell-280p preamp in direct comparison. I don't think that AV7005 would be any worse in this regard or maybe even better.

SR7005 and AV7005 are the basically exact same thing. Might as well get the SR for basically the same price and have backup and/or extra amplification if it was ever needed. The Denon 4311 has XT32 which would be a big improvement if you have 2 subs.

I have had the Arcam, Denon and Marantz, to my ears the Denon is the leaner of the most, the Marantz is warmest and the Arcam in-between. You would be good with Arcam or Marantz to my ears.

SR7005 is receiver and AV7005 is processor. It looks like you already have more than capable amplifier. I'd definitely go with AV7005 and external amplification (Sunfire). Any receiver driving five electrostatics would be very interesting to see and maybe even listen :)
Currently have AV8003 (older model, but some say more musical) and preamp section stands close to Krell-280p preamp in direct comparison. I don't think that AV7005 would be any worse in this regard or maybe even better.

I remember reading great things about the AV8003. It's good to know that it rivals the Krell-280p which is what I wanted to hear (no pun intended). LOL...I used to have a receiver powering 3 electrostats..it didn't do too badly, but the Sunfire is clearly steps ahead. I pretty much can make my ears bleed with clean power.

If the SR7005 (receiver) version wasn't cheaper, I wouldn't even be asking...but I'm wondering if using the reciever as a preamp degrades the sound quality in anyway over using the pure preamp version (AV7005)?

SR7005 and AV7005 are the basically exact same thing. Might as well get the SR for basically the same price and have backup and/or extra amplification if it was ever needed. The Denon 4311 has XT32 which would be a big improvement if you have 2 subs.

That is exactly what I was thinking...
I only want to confirm if I'm degrading sound quality in anyway by going this route.

One difference I just noticed is the AV7005 has a torroidal transformer while the SR7005 has a regular transformer. Now that may or may not mean anything.

If anybody is using the SR7005 as a preamp, or any other preamp for that matter, I'd like to get their thoughts on the performance.

I have had the Arcam, Denon and Marantz, to my ears the Denon is the leaner of the most, the Marantz is warmest and the Arcam in-between. You would be good with Arcam or Marantz to my ears.

This is very helpful information...
Would you mind stating which models you tested?

This is very helpful information...
Would you mind stating which models you tested?

Sorry, I have had allot of kit come and go and owned the AV amps and front ends at some point, can't recollect models, I owned Denon then went to Arcam and then went to Marantz. If I Ihad to do it again I would go back to Arcam but to my ears I could not live with the Denon.

I ended up picking up the av7005....well actually it's on the way :). Found it a little cheaper than the SR so opted for the more puritan approach.

Back