Quantcast

Spikes on Wood Floors? Any Recommendations?

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

O

OU812HU?

Guest
Hello everyone, brand spanking new to the club. I'm renting a house and just purchased new Ascent i's. I would love to hear these on spikes but don't want to damage my landlords brand new wood finished floors. Any recommendations? I read one member simply used a piece of wood for protection... would that added layer of wood alter the sound in any way? Seems like an easy fix!! To sum it up, I'm looking for a solution where I can easily adjust my ML Speakers/Spikes while not causing harm to the floor. Thanks for a great forum.....
 

MarkNewbie

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
376
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
Welcome to this fine forum. My Ascent i's are on carpet. You might want to try 8 wood blocks with one under each spike. Just a thought.
 

Muad'Dib

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 6, 2005
Messages
83
Reaction score
0
You could put nickels or quarters under the spikes too. I've heard that works well.

-D
 

Jeff Zaret

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
1
Location
Lancaster,Ca
OU812HU?,
Welcome :D

Wood blocks may work but I would image that they would need to be a fairly dense piece of wood so the spikes will not dig in afterwhile. If my memory is still in tack (Ok Mark.....free shot :eek: ) I think our president of the club, Jason, has his speakers on a marble slab. There may also be others here that may have done similar setups.

BTW, my speakers are spiked but on carpet.

Jeff :cool:
 

Sky Saw

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Canada
Spiking is a must-do to get all that you can from the Ascents, so I'm glad you are looking for a solution.

My Ascent-is are on wood floors, and I need to move them on occasion, so spiking directly into the floor is out of the question. I put some furniture felt on one side of a CDN Loonie, and use one under each spike. This isolates the speaker from the floor, yet allows you to slide the entire speaker when necessary. It's not perfect (since you can push the speakers around, so can the woofers), but the difference between this and not spiking is very noticeable. It's also a very inexpensive tweak, and will not damage the floor.
 

Sky Saw

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Canada

MarkNewbie

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
376
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
Jeff Zaret said:
OU812HU?,
Welcome :D

Wood blocks may work but I would image that they would need to be a fairly dense piece of wood so the spikes will not dig in afterwhile. If my memory is still in tack (Ok Mark.....free shot :eek: ) I think our president of the club, Jason, has his speakers on a marble slab. There may also be others here that may have done similar setups.

BTW, my speakers are spiked but on carpet.

Jeff :cool:
How can I pass this one up but I have a quandry here. Do I comment on the use of "image" when clearly you meant to use "imagine" or the memory part? Or, are they both related. Perhaps an anology for a symbiotic relationship? LOL :D
 

roberto

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
3,176
Reaction score
38
Location
San Jose, Costa Rica
Hola chicos...well what I did long time ago, was with a help of a nail and a hammer, I hitted at the center of a coin, making a small point where the spike could go into it and not scratch the floor. The wood blocks as Jeff suggested are another way to do it, but I really think that the spike is a must for cleaner bass and better sound. Sometines I used two coins to discouple the mechanical impedance of floor with the stand and spike. All I can say is "trust you ears". Hope this can help,
Cheers,
Roberto. :D
 

kach22i

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
1,850
Reaction score
7
Location
Michigan
Something under the speaker like a Brightstar Bigrock platform filled with sand will do double duty. What I mean is it will protect your floor and tighten up the bass.

I built my own version, see system #42.

This picture for some reason shows foam noodles (might be for shipping - should end up sand filled), I don't know why - the text is in Korean.

 

kach22i

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
1,850
Reaction score
7
Location
Michigan
Here is a version made for Gallo which acts as a stand.


The ones I made are pretty rough. I think a cylinder/disk shape would look cool, I constructed a rectangle/box.

You might be able to modify an existing container/package and fill it with sand to save time. The top plate shouldd be independent of the sides, I used silicone to fill the quarter inch gap which goes all around the top edge.
 

Jeff Zaret

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
1
Location
Lancaster,Ca
MarkNewbie said:
How can I pass this one up but I have a quandry here. Do I comment on the use of "image" when clearly you meant to use "imagine" or the memory part? Or, are they both related. Perhaps an anology for a symbiotic relationship? LOL :D

I figured you would have had a heyday with it!!!
Yes it was imagine and the memory part......well................... :eek:

Jeff :cool:
 
O

OU812HU?

Guest

Reverb

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,543
Reaction score
0
Location
Palm Springs, CA
OU812HU? said:
Inexpensive and it looks cool at the same time! With Sky's furniture felt idea I think this is perfect! Or do I even need furniture felt?
I don't think you need felt, as long as your not sliding your speakers across the wood floor.
 

Reverb

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,543
Reaction score
0
Location
Palm Springs, CA
I wish I had wood floors because I would love to replace my spikes with GrandPrix audio Apex isolation feet. They work to decouple the speakers from the floor, unlike spikes that try to couple the speaker to the floor. Isolation feet will isolate your speakers and equipment from their environment.
 

Attachments

Sky Saw

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Canada
Zip3kx07 said:
I wish I had wood floors because I would love to replace my spikes with GrandPrix audio Apex isolation feet. They work to decouple the speakers from the floor, unlike spikes that try to couple the speaker to the floor. Isolation feet will isolate your speakers and equipment from their environment.
Wow! You really got me interested in the Grandprix Apex feet - they look ideal, and Grandprix's products receive very high praise from reviewers. In fact, I thought I might look into them as an upgrade, which is when I learned that getting 8 of them for my Ascents would cost $1,870.00 :eek:

Yikes! But I do appreciate the info (seriously) - thanks for sharing that, I never would have found them on my own.
 

Reverb

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,543
Reaction score
0
Location
Palm Springs, CA
Sky Saw said:
Wow! You really got me interested in the Grandprix Apex feet - they look ideal, and Grandprix's products receive very high praise from reviewers. In fact, I thought I might look into them as an upgrade, which is when I learned that getting 8 of them for my Ascents would cost $1,870.00 :eek:

Yikes! But I do appreciate the info (seriously) - thanks for sharing that, I never would have found them on my own.
How did you come up with $1,870.00? A set of three go's for $550.00. You would need three sets to do your ascents, so that’s $1650.00. If you call Grand Prix Audio They would probably sell you a set of eight rather then 3 sets of three, price would be a little less for just eight.

But Yes I know, the point is they are expensive.

http://www.grandprixaudio.com/prod_apex.htm
 

Sky Saw

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Canada
The footers (bottom part) are $550/3, plus $150 for the 3-pack of stainless cups (top part). $700/3= $233 per spike. Multiply by 8 = $1870.

Any way you slice it, this is some fancy footware. Nice though.
 

Reverb

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,543
Reaction score
0
Location
Palm Springs, CA
Sky Saw said:
The footers (bottom part) are $550/3, plus $150 for the 3-pack of stainless cups (top part). $700/3= $233 per spike. Multiply by 8 = $1870.

Any way you slice it, this is some fancy footware. Nice though.
My Bad, forgot about the cups.
 

Latest posts

Top