Sonata Music Server

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just PC based music server software. It looks interesting. Interest would pique or wane based on pricing.

I must confess to a little smile to myself when I realised "Audiophile Configuration" means storing music on a NAS.......how, exactly - does that make it "audiophile"?

They seem to be making a big deal of the tagging abilities (whether they are different to what basic FLAC supplies I don't know).

I must say I try to shy away from extensive tagging - it is only asking for trouble - especially with classical music. To use their example - of what worth is sorting by instrument when there are (to use Cello as an example) solo cello / lead cello / feature cello / contain cello at some part of the recording? Then you get all the other issues, where a particular recording might put "Strings" into this field. The next recording might enter "Cello and Piano". Not long before you have a big mess, so keep it simple!

Anyway - it won't be long 'till there are proper, intelligent interfaces to cater for this sort of thing - eg. Last.FM.

Anyway - it won't be long 'till there are proper, intelligent interfaces to cater for this sort of thing - eg. Last.FM.

Really good point Adam. It's all about the user i/f... the smarter the better (up until it locks you out of your house and calls the police on your ass).

I've been a loud voice to anyone who will listen - and it's a short list that seems to be proportional to blood alcohol level - regarding the real need for super AI interfaces that make device/system configuration dead-simple for the end user. Media servers are an excellent case in point.

Latest posts

Back