Anyone still streaming with a Squeezebox Touch or Transporter?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzman53

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone here is still streaming from a Logitech device (Transporter or Squeezebox Touch).

If so; you're probably seeing a "QR Code" pop-up message on its Media Server platform. The reason is that MySqueezebox.com will soon be shutting down the link between Media Server and streaming services like Tidal and Spotify.

Not to worry... if you go to the Slim Devices Forum, the gurus there have posted a fix and developed a newer version of Media Server that doesn't depend on MySqueezebox.com for the streaming link.

BTW;
The Transporter is old and no longer supported, but it's still bad-ass:

For years the Transporter was the only streamer I knew of that was also a digital preamp; controlling volume in the digital domain ahead of its DAC.

Nowadays most newer streamers can likewise apply digital volume control to the analog outs-- but none that I know of have a volume-controlled digital out.

The Transporter can control the volume to its analog outs, but also to a separate AES digital XLR output. Even today, no other streamer that I know of can do this.

Why do I LOVE this Transporter feature?

I use a digital crossover (a DBX Driverack Venu 360), and if I used any other streamer, the signal path would have to have multiple DA/AD conversions. That is; DA out of the streamer, then AD in the DBX ahead of its processor, then DA out to the amps.

With the Transporter, the signal path is a digital out to the DBX, and a single DA conversion out to the amps.

As I said; the Transporter is still bad ass.

Last edited:
Just curious if anyone here is still streaming from a Logitech device (Transporter or Squeezebox Touch).

If so; you're probably seeing a "QR Code" pop-up message on its Media Server platform. The reason is that MySqueezebox.com will soon be shutting down the link between Media Server and streaming services like Tidal and Spotify.

Not to worry... if you go to the Slim Devices Forum, the gurus there have posted a fix and developed a newer version of Media Server that doesn't depend on MySqueezebox.com for the streaming link.

BTW;

For years the Transporter was the only streamer I knew of that was also a digital preamp; controlling volume in the digital domain ahead of its DAC.

Nowadays most newer streamers can likewise apply digital volume control to the analog outs-- but none that I know of have a volume-controlled digital out.

The Transporter can control the volume to its analog outs, but also to a separate AES digital XLR output. Even today, no other streamer that I know of can do this.

I use a digital crossover (a DBX Driverack Venu 360), and if I used any other streamer, the signal path would have to have multiple DA/AD conversions. That is; DA out of the streamer, then AD in the DBX ahead of its processor, then DA out to the amps.

With the Transporter, the signal path is a digital out to the DBX, and a single DA conversion out to the amps.

I'm still running a Squeezebox Touch, with EDO (Enhanced Digital Output) app for higher res files, into a Bel Canto DAC as my primary source. I have 5 other Squeezebox devices around the house, all still working perfectly. I just upgraded to the 8.4.0 version of Logitech Media Server, and no issues streaming Qobuz, or Radio Paradise, in addition to my personal FLAC library. I suspect Logitech execs are still banging their heads against the wall for discontinuing the product, but at least they've kept the Squeezebox Forum alive, and have supported Michael Herger as the liaison with the broader open source community developers providing all the updates.

I always wonder what happened to Sean Adams, who was the Inventor/CEO of Slimdevices. Perhaps he'll surface someday with a new and improved product!

I also am still using SB Touch as my primary streamer. I don't think I have updated any software in the last few years. I don't seem to be having any issues, but what do I know? Can you point me to a link that explains it in detail? I probably have multiple LMS installed, but I think I only need one, correct? Where wouid be the best place to run LMS? Mac, NAS, piCore Player? Thanks in advance if someone can enlighten me.

I also am still using SB Touch as my primary streamer. I don't think I have updated any software in the last few years. I don't seem to be having any issues, but what do I know? Can you point me to a link that explains it in detail? I probably have multiple LMS installed, but I think I only need one, correct? Where wouid be the best place to run LMS? Mac, NAS, piCore Player? Thanks in advance if someone can enlighten me.

I'm not sure I can answer your question because I'm not very computer smart, and I don't know if SB Touch operates the same way as Transporter, using the Logitech Media Server (LMS) Interface to connect with a steaming service like Tidal or Spotify.

With my Transporter, I have LMS loaded on a Windows 7 laptop serving as the connection interface with the internet and Tidal.

I'm also using the SqueezePad app on my iPad tablet as the remote controller.

Recently, when streaming from Tidal, the song title and album cover no longer displayed on the iPad app, but were replaced by this error message: "Follow the QR Code migration instructions".

I searched the web for an answer and learned that Squeezebox.com will soon stop supporting all Slim Devices products (SB Touch, Transporter, SB Radio, Duet, etc...).

My understanding is that LMS routes the data stream thru a Squeezebox.com server, so when that server is taken down, LMS will no longer be able to stream from Tidal, Spotify, etc...

But there is now a fix for this, because LMS is open-source and newer versions have now been created that bypass and do not depend on Squeezebox.com for the streaming connection.

If you download LMS version 8.4.1 or higher, and then follow the instructions posted on the Slim Devices Forum, the problem will be resolved.

Here is the link: https://forums.slimdevices.com/foru...-migration-announcement?p=1680299#post1680299

Last edited:

BTW;

I have a fleet of Squeezebox devices, from various generations: one "classic" (whose analog output no longer works); a "Duet" receiver and controller; and two "Touches" which, in my opinion, was their best product. I did consider the Transporter, to use in my main system as a source and DAC. The deal breaker, for me, was that there is apparently no discrete source command, only to toggle from one to the next, making programming a universal remote a real PITA. I went with a Benchmark DAC instead, for roughly the same money. I regularly still use the alarm clock feature.

I don't use streaming services, and was not even aware they did Tidal and Spotify. Early on I did subscribe to Rhapsody, which I did get through Squeezebox. It only did MP3 in those days. I didn't really take to it.

For many years I ran my server (called various things through the ages: Squeezebox Server, LMS. I think more thing) on a Netgear Ready NAS. When I got a Synology NAS for video storage and streaming I moved LMS to that. Then Synology deprecated the LMS app. I fired up the Ready NAS, and they too had deprecated the LMS app. So I did some research on whether I could use a Raspberry Pi as a server. Not only can I, I can even run a player on the same PI. I now use that server/player combo in the bedroom for an alarm clock. Less annoying light (the classic can be dimmed to where it doesn't bother me, but I really needed the analog output to work in the bedroom).

One of the nice features of Squeezebox is that they can be accurately synchronized (Roon can too, in theory, but not in practice using the hardware I'm using). When I listen to the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts on Saturday afternoons, and go about my chores around the house, I have it playing on several Squeezebox players.

So that's my Squeezebox story. A great platform that Logitech devoured then summarily dropped, just like they later did with Harmony remotes.
I'm not sure I can answer your question because I'm not very computer smart, and I don't know if SB Touch operates the same way as Transporter, using the Logitech Media Server (LMS) Interface to connect with a steaming service like Tidal or Spotify.

With my Transporter, I have LMS loaded on a Windows 7 laptop serving as the connection interface with the internet and Tidal.

I'm also using the SqueezePad app on my iPad tablet as the remote controller.

Recently, when streaming from Tidal, the song title and album cover no longer displayed on the iPad app, but were replaced by this error message: "Follow the QR Code migration instructions".

I searched the web for an answer and learned that Squeezebox.com will soon stop supporting all Slim Devices products (SB Touch, Transporter, SB Radio, Duet, etc...).

My understanding is that LMS routes the data stream thru a Squeezebox.com server, so when that server is taken down, LMS will no longer be able to stream from Tidal, Spotify, etc...

But there is now a fix for this, because LMS is open-source and newer versions have now been created that bypass and do not depend on Squeezebox.com for the streaming connection.

If you download LMS version 8.4.1 or higher, and then follow the instructions posted on the Slim Devices Forum, the problem will be resolved.

Here is the link: https://forums.slimdevices.com/foru...-migration-announcement?p=1680299#post1680299
You're talking about "mysqueezebox.com", right? "Squeezebox.com" just says "this domain available". The only thing I actually have on mysqueezebox.com is some saved favorite radio stations, none of which work because they're all obsolete. But thanks for the heads up. I imagine latest versions of LMS will skip the creation of a mysqueezebox.com account.

No Squeezeboxes for me - my endpoints have all been PiCorePlayers for years now.

Note this is only an issue if you connect directly to the internet (MySqueezebox). This doesn't affect you if you run the LMS server, as I'd imagine most people would. (as I understand).

No Squeezeboxes for me - my endpoints have all been PiCorePlayers for years now.

Note this is only an issue if you connect directly to the internet (MySqueezebox). This doesn't affect you if you run the LMS server, as I'd imagine most people would. (as I understand).
FYI, March 19th is apparently the official date that Logitech is shutting down MySqueezebox.com However, most, if not ALL streaming services and functionality will be maintained by various developer plug-ins. I've had the Qobuz and Radio Paradise apps running for quite some time, but was concerned I'd lose access to my (free) Pandora stations. However, a developer has already released Pyrrha (daughter of Pandora)... https://forums.slimdevices.com/forum/user-forums/general-discussion/1668568-tidal-deezer-pandora. This lengthy thread also discusses status of Tidal and Deezer, but I don't use those.

I just installed Pyrrha, and it works beautifully (after entering my Pandora credentials in the app settings). Kudo's again to Michael Herger, and all the brilliant developers volunteering their time and effort to keep the Squeezebox platform alive and well!

They even plan on renaming Logitech Media Server to something more generic, since the software is open source anyways. See this lengthy thread for names submitted thus far... https://forums.slimdevices.com/foru...ement-lms-system-or-new-name-for-a-new-system

10+ years after Logitech pulled the plug, the Squeezebox universe is better than ever!

They even plan on renaming Logitech Media Server to something more generic, since the software is open source anyways.

HAHA - I laughed when I saw that thread. Like maybe Squeezebox Server or Squeeze Centre?

It's changed it's name almost more times than there are versions.

Anyway - great platform yes it is. Only now do you realise how ahead of its time it was back in its day.

Many of the name suggestions are hilarious, such as "Liberated Music Server" (which would maintain the LMS acronym) or "Orphaned Music Server."

Many of the name suggestions are hilarious, such as "Liberated Music Server" (which would maintain the LMS acronym) or "Orphaned Music Server."
I like "Orphaned Music Server", as a jab against Logitech, being the first of two companies they have devoured, then spit out (the second being Harmony). "Liberated Music Server" is clever, a take off on the "set your music free" splash screen".

Back