Second System Options: Aeon I or SL3?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwinr

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Considering a second system and a pair of Aeon I's or SL3's (with new panels). Both are the same price. I'm leaning towards the Aeon I's as they are a newer speaker, but... :confused:

Also does anyone have views on the Anthem A2 power amp driving ML speakers. The asking price for this amp with the stated manufacturer's specs makes it seem like a bargain. The Anthem would be paired with an Audio Research sp9 preamp.

Hola. If I were you, SL-3s with that electronic. Anthem A2 is a great amp made with very good electronic components. The Audio Research SP-9 is a little bit old, but if it is in good condition, you have a nice systmem! Go for it, you will not regret it. Happy listening! Trust your ears, not in specs.

Thanks, Roberto.

The SP9 is in mint condition. I bought it off an infirm elderly gentleman who can no longer enjoy his music :(

The SL3's are also mint. While they are older than the Aeons, I think they were a much better speaker and maybe new panels should make them competitive with the newer stuff.

I trialed the Anthem at home last week (not with ML's though!) and I can't believe the build quality. The sound I'm not sure of, only because I couldn't audition it on decent speakers (I am currently ML-less). The A2 is stable down to 2 ohms so maybe this amp is a sleeper product for MLs :think:

Edwin, if you want to improve the performance of your SP9 significantly, replace the cheap volume control on the unit with a DACT stepped atttenuator. See my comments on it in my system thread. My apologies if I have mentioned this before.

Thanks, Bernard. I will seriously consider your suggestion. I have been doing some web surfing trying to find out some info on this preamp. Apparently there were mk2 and mk3 versions. But I think I can sufficiently 'tweak' this beautifully built preamp to make it a keeper.

Bernard, your system thread is great. I love your pics.

Last edited:
I have owned probably 10 different Martin Logan speakers through the years. The SL3 is still one of my favorites.

Honestly can't say about the SL3, but the Aeon i is an absolutely amazing speaker. You are blessed to have a choice between two such superb speakers. Congrats!

Latest posts

Back