Script as main speakers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lej1447

Has any one hang Scripts on the wall next to the plasma as main speakers due to space limitation? I have seen the Freso and Vignette used as main and center speakers. I wonder if Scripts will be an improvment over those just mentioned. I plan to hang these on the wall. Underneath each main Script will be a subwoofer. Thus, dual subs in this particular case. I have heard that setting up subwoofer with ML are not easy to achieve and can be frustrating. Is this true? Furthermore, the sweet spot for ML is minimal as compared to conventional box-type speaker.

I don't own any ML yet. I have dual subs and 6 AR Phantom 8.3 series speakers and 1 AR Phantom 525 Center. 8.3 series are 3.3" thick w/ a plasma hardened 1" titanium dome tweeter, a 2" MagAlloy midrange and an 8" Illusion TM long throw, Carbon Series woofer.. Specs are 40Hz-20kHz, 89db sensitive, 8 ohms, 250 watt handling power.

Any input, thought, comment, or shared experience is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
In general, because of the narrow dispersion pattern, the further away you are from the MLs the larger the sweet spot.

Honestly I do not think that subwoofers are any harder to incorporate with MLs than any other type of speaker. I think the problem is that most people do not really take the time or buy the equipment to do the setup right. MLs are more prone to reveal badly setup subwoofers than most other loudspeakers because MLs are so fast. Well at least that is my theory.

When I had my Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's my subwoofer seemed just right. When I replaced them with my SL3's the subwoofer seemed sloppy and bloated. (I currently have the subwoofer out of the system altogether because I think that the SL3's are so engaging by themselves! I will add it back later when I can properly set it up.)

I guess it could have been the SL3's that partially contributed to this effect since I do detect that the audio spectrum at the crossover between the SL3 woofer and the stator is every so slightly on the lean side. BUT it could also be my amplification since my equipment is a few leagues below the SL3's.

Regardless, I do think that the main problem was the setup and positioning of my subwoofer. I think that the SL3's simply made this defeciency more prominent.

Furthermore, I do think that dual subs will work better and may be easier to setup. While dual subs cannot totally fix integration problems, they do help because dual subs tend to smooth out the frequency response in the room's bass region if setup properly.

Last edited:
I would like to take this opportunity, to enthuizatically recommend the ML Descent subwoofer. The Descent is everything they say at ML and a whole lot more, it's superfast and manufactured to seamlessly blend in with all electrostatic speakers, especially ML speakers. Just one Descent, with it's three tri-force, 10" all servo-controled woofers, will simply blow you away... Of course the room size could be a factor, if you have a hudge room, to rumble... But, I agree with socialxray, set-up and positioning can not be over looked. The Decsent is truely, awsome though... If the Decsent is too pricey, you might concider ML's Depth... again very a fast subwoofer and able to hang with electrostatics, especially ML's.

By-the-way, I'm about to recieve the, Script i's, I ordered from ML a month ago... I can't wait. They will make my HT system, an all ML 5.1 system, finially. The Script i's will become my new surround speakers. From what, I've heard, I think they would make great front speakers, especially in a limited space, if set-up and positioned correctly.

The Velodyne Digital Drive subwoofers are in some points even better than the ML subs is my opinion... They also integrate seamlessly and have very advanced room-eq built-in to help solve integration problems.

Integrating ML speakers with other brands is not something I recommend by the way...

garmtz said:
The Velodyne Digital Drive subwoofers are in some points even better than the ML subs is my opinion... They also integrate seamlessly and have very advanced room-eq built-in to help solve integration problems.

And with their new SMS-1 product coming out this year some time, each of us can have low frequency equalization for our rooms and subs. This is the same software and technology used in the DD subs that you mention.

Dan

DTB300 said:
And with their new SMS-1 product coming out this year some time, each of us can have low frequency equalization for our rooms and subs. This is the same software and technology used in the DD subs that you mention.

That's correct! Room eq now for ML subs! :D

I've been waiting for the SMS-1.
Actually I'ved asked for it as a gift from my wife. She never knows what to buy me :D

Last I have read and heard about SMS-1 is MSRP of $700 and to be released sometime this year. But this is from reading the web stuff. I am waiting for a reply from a Velodyne person who I have emailed with before about SMS-1. 8 Band Eq, Auto Room Testing and measurement, included mic, interface with TV or monitor, remote control are some of the features.

The AV123 R-DES unit was recently released (another low frequency equalization unit). It offers 4 bands, manual room measurements, no mic, PC interface, $300 initial release price, $400 after. I have recently read about issues they have with the chip they use from TI. Issue was discovered right close to release date and confirmed with TI, but they released anyways feeling that it was not that big an issue.

Personnaly, I am leaning toward the Velodyne unit but a friend of mine has R-DES and is currently trying it out. These types of units will help us get our subs (no matter the manufacturer) tuned in correctly for frequency response. Then we can all adjust from there if our likings are more on the heavy or leaner side of things.

Dan

Last edited:
Back