say goodbye to my pink living room!! yay!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryan has lurked here on the MLC for awhile now... I'm sure he'll be joining when he gets everything all set up to his liking and can take some photos.

rest of the sofa arrived today....

Here's a look at the gi-normous leather sectional we bought.. The ends and ottoman got delivered today...

Wait for the following posts before commenting, cuz I need suggestions on what to do...

Attachments

• IMG_5376 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5376 (Medium).JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 155
Houston, we have a problem...

The sofa is blocking the left speaker...

first photo in this post is from the main listening seat.. The "sweet spot" if you will.

So, let me hear your guys & gals' suggestions... I have a couple of options..

A. Move the audio rack into the left corner and replace it with the left Summit. Longer HDMI cable will be needed to reach the TV, as well as a longer speaker cables for the right Summit and Cinema.

B. Move the amp to the left corner and replace it with the Summit. Longer ICs from the receiver to the Amp will be needed and possibly a longer speaker cable to the right Summit.

Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_5372 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5372 (Medium).JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_5375 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5375 (Medium).JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_5371 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5371 (Medium).JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 236
here are a couple more photos..

Attachments

• IMG_5368 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5368 (Medium).JPG
    67 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_5374 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5374 (Medium).JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 236
Tom, I would DEFINITELY move the speakers closer together, swapping the left one with either the amp or rack, so they're ~8-9 ft apart. Just make sure they are far enough in front of the plane of the TV and rack, to optimize imaging. In addition, why not try an "interior designer" trick, and rotate the entire sectional sofa 30-45 degrees, so it's no longer parallel to the left wall. You can shift your tables and lamps accordingly. That might add an interesting twist to the rooms layout, though I'm not sure if there would be an exactly centered "sweet spot" to sit in. You could first play around with a scale template on paper. Also, I'd consider attaching permanent gliders to the ottoman, so you can easily slide it from one end to the other, or out of the way entirely for serious listening.

You mean you bought a lounge without taking into account it's acoustic properties?!?!?

Take it back and buy something that will enhance the sound!

Seriously, I'd be moving the rack rather than the amp. Someone (JonFo??) was saying recently that you can get better sound by having the speakers not symeterically aligned in the room anyway. Let us know the results!

BUT, how is that going to affect the symeterical position of your listening seat? Are you still going to be able to sit in the sweet spot if you move the left channel to the right?

Another option you might want to try is pulling the speakers forward a little so that they miss the lounge......you're still going to have to move it right somewhat though.

Make the ottoman your coffee table and lose the coffee table. I recently did this and got rid of some glare and bass boominess caused by the coffee table. A hell of alot easier than the alternatives and its FREE, FREE, FREE! Enjoy!

Last edited:
Make the ottoman your coffee table and lose the coffee table. I recently did this and got rid of some glare and bass boominess caused by the coffee table. A hell of alot easier than the alternatives and its FREE, FREE, FREE! Enjoy!

I would have to agree, along with the amp or rack movement. Put one of those nice looking wood trays on the ottoman and you have the same function but it looks stellar (maybe even an accent throw or blanket on the ottoman under the tray?).

thanks for the suggestions, all....

I've ordered a 3m pair of ICs (AQ King Cobras) and will first try switching the position of the amp with the left speaker to see how that works.

If that doesn't work, will move the rack... that's the last thing I want to do.

Kerry's totally against using the ottoman as a coffee table, so that's out.. For serious listening sessions, I will move the ottoman away from the speaker.

Moving the sofa at an angle is not something I want to do either...

hey Tom, man those Summitt's really do look niiiice in your system !

Are my eyes deceiving me or does your rack look like it would fit best in a corner ?? Put it in the left coerner, thus allowing left speaker and amp to move inward some ?? Besides it would give better symetry to speaker / TV set-up.

hey Tom, man those Summitt's really do look niiiice in your system !

Are my eyes deceiving me or does your rack look like it would fit best in a corner ?? Put it in the left coerner, thus allowing left speaker and amp to move inward some ?? Besides it would give better symetry to speaker / TV set-up.

Thanks... That's definitely an option, Dave... I'll need to extend my coax cables, speaker cables and get a long HDMI cable to do that, so it's my last resort.

:D

Is it possible to lose some of the furniture? You have a humungous room, but way too much furniture.

Is it possible to lose some of the furniture? You have a humungous room, but way too much furniture.

No chance of losing any furniture... That room is our "all purpose" room and we spend alot of time in it watching TV, movies as well as listening to music and entertaining....

we have to make it all work together.

Update.. Good News / Bad News

Hey all...

Last night I got home and did some tweaking to my living room... thanks for all of your suggestions.

The sofa was about 4 inches out from the walls because of a vent that is directly behind the long side of it. Music is far more important than ventilation, so I blocked the vent and moved the sofa right up against the wall. That helped alot. Then I moved the ottoman out of the picture. It can be where it was, but not when I'm listening to music.

Then, I switched positions of the left Summit and the amp. My ICs from the receiver were just long enough for me to experiment with this, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Then I started tweaking the position of the Summits, starting with Jim Power's flashlight technique. The left Summit is closer to the sweet spot than the right, so I went into the Denon and made tweaks to the volume levels of the speakers.

About 3 hours of tweaking here and there and I started to get the image and soundstage into focus. The speakers have not totally disappeared yet, but I'm getting there. I may eventually move that entire component rack into the left corner, but for now, I'm having fun tweaking and listening! And I still haven't put the plants back behind the speakers... Got a big fake ficas for that right corner. :D

I also read the Summits user manual and set those LF knobs on the back to what I thought sounded good to me. I've got the 25 Hz at -4 and the 50 Hz at +2. Bass is there, but not boomy and sounds natural.

So here's the bad news:

While doing all of this, I noticed that the woofer grille on one of the Summits is dented! Apparently the damage to the boxes went thru to the speaker!! It's very hard to see, which is why I never noticed it before.... and it's been really HOT here last week and we had the living room pretty much closed up and dark (we don't have central air) so I really haven't had much chance to play with them. So I need to know how to get that grille off so I can see if the dent will pop out. I emailed Jim P. and inquired also about a new grille in case the dent won't pop out.

Anyway, that's the status... These Summits are WONDERFUL. Very smooth from top to bottom. Listened for about an hour this morning at very low volume levels.. just WONDERFUL! Can't wait to get them totally dialed in...

Tom.

PS.. Joey, you are INSANE for giving these things up!;)

Attachments

• IMG_5379 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5379 (Medium).JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_5404 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5404 (Medium).JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
nice job on the room tom - also amazed that you picked up Joey's speakers (but not amazed Joey got rid of his as that is what Joey does constantly)

havent been around for a while guys, but I am in the process of moving crosscoast. The Ascent i's are in a moving truck as we speak. Once I get them set up in their new spot, I will post some pictures.

...While doing all of this, I noticed that the woofer grille on one of the Summits is dented...

Tom, I have a similar issue with one of my Summits, but I placed that Summit on the darker side of my room, and now it's virtually invisible. It looks like the dented one is on your right, which looks like the brighter side of the room. If so, you might try swapping them, and see if that helps. I suspect it would be a relatively expensive "fix", but let us know what ML says (I might be interested as well).

Latest posts

Back