Saw Lee Ritenour Saturday

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
My wife and I took in a show last night at the Blues Alley in Washington D.C. It really is in an alley. We walked past it twice before I had to do the unmanly thing and ask for directions The guy I asked just laughed and pointed about 25 feet away and said "Not from around here are you?"

The venue is a very small and old building. It holds about 135 people at max seating but there were only about 120 people for the this show. Tickets were $43 each, the drinks and food were a bit on the high side for what one got but very good. Our seats were center stage about 10-15 feet back.

The show is called Lee Ritenour and Friends and the show blew us away!! I believe I have all of his Cd's, but he played music I'd never heard him play. He did play a few of his more known works, especially from his new CD 6 String Theory. He played nonstop for 1 hour, 45 minutes. The bassist played for Earth, Wind and Fire with a 7 string bass. Never seen or heard one of these and it really added a new dimension to mid-bass! The drummer was the original drummer from Chakka-Khan and several other big bands from the 70's and 80's. The show was over much to quickly and could have sat through the 10 o'clock show had it not been sold out!!

So which was better? Listening at home or live? Both!! There is something special about a live event. From the feedback to the slightly overdone bass or the slight timing mix-up. All those things make a live event what it is. No chance for a second take. Listening at home gives me the perspective of the way the artist WANTS it to sound. They both sound the same musically for the most part but the home listening has been massaged to a point. I love them both!!

Gordon

My wife and I took in a show last night at the Blues Alley in Washington D.C. It really is in an alley. We walked past it twice before I had to do the unmanly thing and ask for directions The guy I asked just laughed and pointed about 25 feet away and said "Not from around here are you?"

The venue is a very small and old building. It holds about 135 people at max seating but there were only about 120 people for the this show. Tickets were $43 each, the drinks and food were a bit on the high side for what one got but very good. Our seats were center stage about 10-15 feet back.

The show is called Lee Ritenour and Friends and the show blew us away!! I believe I have all of his Cd's, but he played music I'd never heard him play. He did play a few of his more known works, especially from his new CD 6 String Theory. He played nonstop for 1 hour, 45 minutes. The bassist played for Earth, Wind and Fire with a 7 string bass. Never seen or heard one of these and it really added a new dimension to mid-bass! The drummer was the original drummer from Chakka-Khan and several other big bands from the 70's and 80's. The show was over much to quickly and could have sat through the 10 o'clock show had it not been sold out!!

So which was better? Listening at home or live? Both!! There is something special about a live event. From the feedback to the slightly overdone bass or the slight timing mix-up. All those things make a live event what it is. No chance for a second take. Listening at home gives me the perspective of the way the artist WANTS it to sound. They both sound the same musically for the most part but the home listening has been massaged to a point. I love them both!!

Gordon

Hola Gordon. I am green on envy (lol)...to me Lee is one the best jazz elctric guitar player around. He is very easy listening, and he is very musically gifted. Of course there are great jazz guitar players, but Lee has a feeling that not all have. Seven strings bass, wow, that should be fun to play. I did play long time 4 string bass, and they were plenty for me, now with 7, only truly gifted players I think they are made for. The first six string bass that I sow was Anthony Jackson with Lee long time ago. I think that you will remember this night all your life. Thanks for sharing it with us...happy listening,
Roberto.

Lucky man Gordon,

I have been to a couple of Lee Ritenour's concerts, once in Munich, Germany with Eric Marienthal playing, standing room only. More recently here in New Zealand with the drummer from the Yellowjackets who had just two settings, loud and very loud!

Lee is simply gifted at whatever he does with a guitar. Did he have his 'see through' Yamaha guitar? It is something else.

He and Dave Grusin have done a lot together, try 'Two Worlds' if you want something classical on a fabulous recording.

Fjeff

Fjeff, he indeed had the see through guitar there!! I'm wondering why he had the frame but I'm not a guitar player. My wife was quite enthralled by it and he played the first 2-3 songs with it.

Gordon

Roberto, we are equal in the envy then! I want the CLX!!

Gordon

Gordon...I have a dear friend who owns a pair of CLXs since some time ago. My first impression was...this is the way to go and finally I got them...still listening, and getting used to them...very different speakers than the ones that I had. Your Spires are great speakers too...happy listening,
Roberto.

Gordon,

I was also there, sitting in the very back near the bar. I had also seen Kevin Eubanks a couple of weeks ago. Both times, I got the impression that I was sitting in on a jam session. Nothing beats live music for getting a feel for the artist and his vision.

Gordon,

I was also there, sitting in the very back near the bar. I had also seen Kevin Eubanks a couple of weeks ago. Both times, I got the impression that I was sitting in on a jam session. Nothing beats live music for getting a feel for the artist and his vision.

I did the 8 o'oclock show. Where you there? We were at the front of the the second row, right in front of the bar. I bet I looked over my shoulder and saw you and didn't know it!! It would have been nice to sit with some new friends. We're going to see Keiko Matsui on the 13th of May at the 8 o'clock show. Care to split a couple bottles of vino?

Gordon

I did the 8 o'oclock show. Where you there? We were at the front of the the second row, right in front of the bar. I bet I looked over my shoulder and saw you and didn't know it!! It would have been nice to sit with some new friends. We're going to see Keiko Matsui on the 13th of May at the 8 o'clock show. Care to split a couple bottles of vino?

Gordon

LOL! you probably did! I was at the 8p show. The vino offer sounds nice. I'll PM you.

Back