Room Treatment = Sonic Improvements!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The finished product - photo...

:) The wall treatments up and in use... They look pretty cool don't you think?

Attachments

• Wall Tx Displayed.jpg
    Wall Tx Displayed.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 2,082
Wall treatments...

DTB300 said:
Homemade Diffusors...Not bad looking in the photo...
Dan,

I guess the owner of the above wall treatment is careful not to hook him/her self, when they walk by the wall treatment. They do look pretty sharp but I guess they are OK as long as you don't cut the beejesus out of yourself just walking by them.... :p :D Well..., on second thought, I think even serious injury would be OK as long as it is in the name of quality sound. :D

Great thread!
Room corrections has a huge impact. Myself, I have a room mode giving me a nasty 125hz peak unless I put something in the corner behind the left speaker. Experimenting with cushions and furniture I have been able to get reasonable sound, but I am getting ready for some proper stuff.

I have my system in the living room, and has to keep things looking reasonably domesticated. Have anybody tried mounting acoustic foam inside (canvas) paintings?. Or would that compromise the effect of the foam? Most of the commercial products are fabric covered anyway, so I would guess this should work OK?

Also, anybody has any experience with Wave Panels from Australia?(www.wavepanels.com). These are available in pro-audio stores in Europe at a very low cost compared to Auralex or ASC tube traps. They do not look much, but can probably be fabric covered without compromising function.

Svein

Jazzplayer said:
Great thread!
I have my system in the living room, and has to keep things looking reasonably domesticated. Have anybody tried mounting acoustic foam inside (canvas) paintings?. Or would that compromise the effect of the foam? Most of the commercial products are fabric covered anyway, so I would guess this should work OK?

I've been seriously thinking of doing this too. Along with the other photo I posted of adding a nice picture frame around a DIY panel.

When I visted an audio store last year in Dubrovnik Croatia I saw a large canvas that was 6' x 3'. Someone had glued and then discreetly stapled to the edges multiple cardboard egg (not the foam stuff) crates covering the entire canvas. The egg crates were not glued together in a uniform manner but created more of an artistic look with their peak and valleys. On the back side they had stuff behind the canvas some batting material. As a final touch they took the old powerdy type paint that you would find in a primary school, mixed it with water I presume and covered the egg crates. It still left the cardboard material breathable and obviously looking much better.

Last edited:
Real Traps Wall / Cieling Treatments...

:) Beautiful Acoustic 'Real Traps' sonic defusers... What do you think?

Attachments

• 68RealTraps1-med.jpg
    68RealTraps1-med.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,113
Robin said:

I happen to be reading the Oct/Nov 2004 "the abso!ute sound" magazine in which there is an article on room accoustics. One of the pundits recommends using ceiling reflectors that are offset and that point to the back of the room. He said ceiling diffusers blur the imaging.
I don't think I could live with the ceiling pannels shown in the photo. They are too distracting.

stereoman said:
I don't think I could live with the ceiling pannels shown in the photo. They are too distracting.
I agree.

If you are going to hang something up there like that, it damn well better be artistic or something.

Robin said:

Yeah - this is the essential problem. I don't want to listen to music in a studio. Each to their own and all that but a little more imagination would go a long way. Getting rid of the screen between the speakers would do a lot more than ceiling treatments.

Kevin

Will need advice.

Well boys and girls i have been on vacation so i have been doing alot of reading, on this "great forum" and others and trying to catch up on misc stuff.

So i caught on to this thread and i think i will need some help in my HT room, for room treatment impovements. The room is 24x24 with 13' ceiling. Seems like the sound is muffled, i don't know what the right terms is, what's it called when you're losing different sounds and it doesn't sound right? Just can't put my finger on it.

I'll post pic of my HT room when i get back so you can see what i'm dealing with.

Chris

Joel,
Here is a pic of sitting position.
jmschnur said:
24x24 is a probelm. what do you have in the room and what is on the walls?

Joel

Attachments

• Copy of room1.jpg
    Copy of room1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 275
This is the right side.

It doesn't look like that, the speakers tossed in the middle of room. :D

Attachments

• Copy of DSC00801.JPG
    Copy of DSC00801.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 289
The left side has same blinds as right picture. And the room has french doors to try to seal "loud sound" from bothering others. ;)

Attachments

• Copy of DSC00427.JPG
    Copy of DSC00427.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
No pictures of ceiling. :(

Don't know if i'm losing alot of sound up there. :confused:

The slanted ceiling is good- it decreases modes. 24X24 is bad it has a lot of low modes that can hurt your listening.

You have a large number of reflected surfaces-this can be bad. Early reflections are very bad.

Try slanting your binds and covering your TV with something for some tests to see if that changes the sound or sense of space.

Listen to jazz which will have bass and cymbals as well as some massed chorus.

Listen to some Cello and male voices and see how that changes as you walk around the room. Is there a best place.

Get the sterophile sampler disk and listent to the various warble sounds etc and see if thereare strong differences between the loudness of various decades. Do the same for chrimatic series that are on that idsk and the their CD test 3 disk.

Then try to move your speakers a bit to see if youcan make your listening position that best place.

After playing around a good deal then consider room treatments that fit your decor.

Joel

Back