Room Treatment = Sonic Improvements!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting Cieling Sonic Treatment...

Cielings ar difficult to treat sonically but check this system out... ;) :)

Attachments

• Cieling Sonic Treatment.jpg
    Cieling Sonic Treatment.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 238
Covering the TV is going to be tough. That room is both Audio/Video :(

And to move the speakers apart anymore, i'm limited on the left one. I have them centered with my listening position.

Will Absorbers, Barriers or Diffusers up on the ceiling do anything?
jmschnur said:
The slanted ceiling is good- it decreases modes. 24X24 is bad it has a lot of low modes that can hurt your listening.

You have a large number of reflected surfaces-this can be bad. Early reflections are very bad.

Try slanting your binds and covering your TV with something for some tests to see if that changes the sound or sense of space.

Listen to jazz which will have bass and cymbals as well as some massed chorus.

Listen to some Cello and male voices and see how that changes as you walk around the room. Is there a best place.

Get the sterophile sampler disk and listent to the various warble sounds etc and see if thereare strong differences between the loudness of various decades. Do the same for chrimatic series that are on that idsk and the their CD test 3 disk.

Then try to move your speakers a bit to see if youcan make your listening position that best place.

After playing around a good deal then consider room treatments that fit your decor.

Joel

Your slanted ceiling should be fine. How about some wall hangings directly oposite your TV? Full book shelves also help.

The key is break up early reflections, multiple reflections, and standing waves.

joel

Desperate Sonic Room Treatments...

Gee I hope that that is perforated. It's mighty shiny for anything that might be a diffuser or absorber...
SteveInNC,

I think you would agree the photo below is sheer desperation, with regards to room treatments to improve the sonic environment. Asthetically questionable to be sure... :D

I don't mean to wax philosphical but then a again, "One persons cieling is another persons floor"... :p

Attachments

• Desperate Room Treatments.jpg
    Desperate Room Treatments.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
SteveInNC,

I think you would agree the photo below is sheer desperation, with regards to room treatments to improve the sonic environment. Asthetically questionable to be sure... :D

I don't mean to wax philosphical but then a again, "One persons cieling is another persons floor"... :p

Uh, I've tried stuff similar to that (minus the electrical tape). I was one of the people that mentioned hanging towels over my Ascents to see what happened when the back reflection was supressed.

I'm experimenting with Auralex foam right now, which is purple.... WAF is not a factor for me. I imagine that I'll cover it in burlap or something similar at some point.

Uh, I've tried stuff similar to that (minus the electrical tape). I was one of the people that mentioned hanging towels over my Ascents to see what happened when the back reflection was supressed.
Yep, been there, done that too. One of the easiest ways to find out how some treatments affect the sound is with some household goods. While not as good as the products that are designed for it, it does give you some ideas.

I'm experimenting with Auralex foam right now, which is purple.... WAF is not a factor for me. I imagine that I'll cover it in burlap or something similar at some point.
Great for mid and high end absorption behind, and first reflections points (side walls and behind your seating position). For low end absorption the GIK or Real Traps are a better product IMO.

Dan

Great for mid and high end absorption behind, and first reflections points (side walls and behind your seating position). For low end absorption the GIK or Real Traps are a better product IMO.

Dan
That's mainly what I'm looking for. I have a very "live" room, with drywall walls and laminate floors, so mids and highs tend to ring a bit. I have an area rug on the floor and various bookshelves et al to help break up reflections, but I think that real room treatments offer a better control. I was working on a Master's dissertation until about two weeks ago and working full time, so I really haven't had a chance to do serious room tweaking since I got my MLs.

Back