Room size/speaker size

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
Since I'm doing my research, I thought I'd start out by asking this:

My room is 11.5X23 with 8 foot ceilings. There is a large opening along the left wall about 7 ft and it is very close to the "front" wall. I've come to the conclusion that my present speakers, Paradigm S8's are overkill. I cannot get the type of seperation and stage I desire. I could downsize them but am interested in the Vantage/Summit line.

I know just about next to nothing about ML so your help would be appreciated.

Gear:

Mcintosh MCD201 CD player
" MC352 Amp
" c2200 tube pre

Does size matter with ML? What would the general consensus be about Vantage/Summit in this room?

Thanks, Gordon

Depends how far you sit from the speakers. I think the Vantages should do fine with that room unless you are listening to really loud music.

Since I'm doing my research, I thought I'd start out by asking this:

My room is 11.5X23 with 8 foot ceilings. Paradigm S8's are overkill. I cannot get the type of seperation and stage I desire. I could downsize them but am interested in the Vantage/Summit line.

Regardless of Vantage or Summitt it would be a noticeable improvement over the Paradigm's.

FWIW, your room is rather "skinny" realtive it's length, so my advise would be to go with the Vantage's. Remember we are talking about di-pole electrostatics, therefore they need room to breath !

Hi Gordan,

My new room is almost similar to yours at 12x20. I have the ML oddessey's in this room. I feel you would love the ML's, being a former Paridigmn owner myself.You will require 4 to 5 ft distance from the panel to the wall behind the speaker, which is very important.

I have my speakers 21 inches off the side walls, you would be around there too. Wish the room was wider so I could have more distance to the side walls. I think the Vantage model would do you fine in that room.Here is a picture of my room.The vantages are not as wide as the summits which might make them the better choice considering your narrow room.

Attachments

• finished_rm1.jpg
    finished_rm1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 145
  • finsihed_rm2.jpg
    finsihed_rm2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Simple rule ! Bigger the panel the bigger the room they like. !

Back