Room Acoustics & Dipole Speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a link to a webpage that I got from the Acoustics forum on AudioCircle. It contains a lot of discussion of acoustics and acoustic treatments (absorption & diffusion) as relates specifically to dipole speakers. I found it interesting and thought I would share it. Let me know what you think.

http://homepage.mac.com/tzagar/

(Once you are at the main page, you will need to click on the topic links on the left side of the page to read all of the discussions.)

Here is a link to a webpage that I got from the Acoustics forum on AudioCircle. It contains a lot of discussion of acoustics and acoustic treatments (absorption & diffusion) as relates specifically to dipole speakers. I found it interesting and thought I would share it. Let me know what you think.

http://homepage.mac.com/tzagar/

(Once you are at the main page, you will need to click on the topic links on the left side of the page to read all of the discussions.)

Thanks, this is great advice! I've read a lot about this, but never found a site with this amount of information.

Great link, and seems to be very good info from a quick browse.

However, one of the Mods needs to get this guy to add a link to our little community in his links sections, he's got links to other product forums, so this one definitely should be represented.

Last edited:
Whew....good reading! Thanks for providing that link Rich! Oh yeah...work, thats right I am at work....save about 1 1/2 hours to read thru everything!

Sam

Great Post!

This is great info! For all the discussion there is about better amps, preamps, CDPs, the room acoustics and tweaks do not get their fair share yet may contribute as much or more than the tangible, sexy equipment.

A couple of examples:

I recently remodeled my listening room. When we tried to remove the old wallpaper, we found some cork underneath! Adding an extra layer of drywall on top of the cork, what a great improvement! (In fact when Joey was at my house prior to the job, he noticed a lack of an echo in my listening room, which was later attributed to the cork, vs the echo in the much larger living room, where I occasionally move my Ascents for the big parties.)

Also, I had my electrical service upgraded. I now have 20 amps going into my listening room. The bass is so much cleaner, and the highs are so much more extended. Another veil lifted. Now just for better power conditioning and better wall sockets. I hear isoclean wall sockets are especially good.

http://www.isocleanpower.com/product_23.htm

I recently remodeled my listening room. When we tried to remove the old wallpaper, we found some cork underneath! Adding an extra layer of drywall on top of the cork, what a great improvement! (In fact when Joey was at my house prior to the job, he noticed a lack of an echo in my listening room, which was later attributed to the cork, vs the echo in the much larger living room, where I occasionally move my Ascents for the big parties.)
Cork is not a great absorber of low end sound. I can see the cork helping the reflections and higher range frequencies the room might have had. What you probably heard was an improvement in the reduction of comb filtering. This is the reasoning for first reflection point treatment, which is usually thinner components that you see for low end treatments.

Dan

Latest posts

Back