Rears: SL3,Aeons,Scripts

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
I am considering a new set of rear speakers. I have odysseys/Descent in the front and listen to 2 channel music mostly- but am tinkering with the idea of multi-channel. I currently use the odysseys with 30% home theater /70% two channel music (paradigm center & paradigm mini-monitors in rear)... So my question would be - what do you think would work best with a) multi channel music b) movies..... thanks for the input....
(my room is about 15 X20 - with a couch in the middle (the oddyseys are about 5' off the front wall - and the position is about 7-8 feet in front of the odysseys....).. thx. for the input...

The Vignettes are great. They are easy to drive and can go VERY loud. Before that I has Klipsch Heresys which were good too, but the Vignettes can be mounted high on the wall and therefore are better for ambience.

I'd personally go with the Script i's. Find a pair and install them in your system, I think they are the best match for you. And get an ML center to match your Prodigy's also, or just use no center if a narrow sweet spot is okay.

I guess my conundrum would be --- why wouldn't I go with a more full range speaker for multi channel music? I haVE never heard the SL3... I would figure the panel would probably be at about the same height as the script when mounted, wouldn't it? My ceiling is only 7 feet high...

Anybody have any input on the new centers vs. the theater i? I know the theater i is BIG ... but re: the sound/dispersion etc... how does it compare to the stage/motif etc.... What type of difference would I expect to hear in movies - for example if I switched the paradigm out? Is tis a night/day difference? I don't seem to be real picky when it comes to movies.....not like my music listening. If I chose to set up multi channel - My multi-channel listening would be for M-CH SACD/DVD-A.... Just don't know if it would sound that much better than my 2 channel setup - or if it would sound better at all.......Opinions are appreciated....:) thanks tim

I guess my conundrum would be --- why wouldn't I go Anybody have any input on the new centers vs. the theater i? I know the theater i is BIG ... but re: the sound/dispersion etc... how does it compare to the stage/motif etc.... What type of difference would I expect to hear in movies - for example if I switched the paradigm out? Is tis a night/day difference? I don't seem to be real picky when it comes to movies.....not like my music listening. If I chose to set up multi channel - My multi-channel listening would be for M-CH SACD/DVD-A.... Just don't know if it would sound that much better than my 2 channel setup - or if it would sound better at all.......Opinions are appreciated....:) thanks tim

Personally I prefer to listen to all music in 2ch, but I do watch a lot of movies in 5ch. Damn it Timm; changing your Paradigm for a ML center will be night and day, period. I have the Theater i center (Summit front and Script rear). I have not tried the Stage, but a guy who bought one of my Descent's begged to buy it, saying it was the best center ML had built. You can probably get a good deal on it second hand. Your movie experiences will get sooo much better!

Personally I prefer to listen to all music in 2ch, but I do watch a lot of movies in 5ch. Damn it Timm; changing your Paradigm for a ML center will be night and day, period. I have the Theater i center (Summit front and Script rear). I have not tried the Stage, but a guy who bought one of my Descent's begged to buy it, saying it was the best center ML had built. You can probably get a good deal on it second hand. Your movie experiences will get sooo much better!

Ugghhh... and the holiday season is right around the corner!!! :) . I think I saw a stage for 1800 somewhere - ebay or audiogon... can't remember.... but, I'm feeling poor today.......

Re: the Scripts. Definitely the correct choice if you can afford them... :bowdown:

Re: the Scripts. Definitely the correct choice if you can afford them... :bowdown:

Help me - why the scripts... I know they look the coolest :). But, I just want to hear a 'why' on the Scripts. Do they add more space - a greater sense of realism? What about for multi-channel music? Any comments on a theater i vs a stage? thanks for the comments ..... tim

Why is easy. The Scripts are ESL's - same as the fronts. I used to believe just anything would do for the surrounds. I was wrong. The Vignettes (my current surrounds) are good. But they don't have the dynamics and clarity of my ESL mains. I can hear the difference in tonal quality and clarity when watching movies as the soundstage moves around the room.

I borrowed some Aeon i's from my dealer (they were trades) and I hooked them up in place of the Vignettes. What a difference. The rear soundstage just hung in the air. Detail and atmosphere was there in spades.

This is not to take away anything from my Vignettes. I upgraded to these from Klipsch Heresys which are great speakers, but they didn't match all that well with the Summits.

I didn't buy the Aeons because they were just too big for me...

Why is easy. The Scripts are ESL's - same as the fronts. I used to believe just anything would do for the surrounds. I was wrong. The Vignettes (my current surrounds) are good. But they don't have the dynamics and clarity of my ESL mains. I can hear the difference in tonal quality and clarity when watching movies as the soundstage moves around the room.

I borrowed some Aeon i's from my dealer (they were trades) and I hooked them up in place of the Vignettes. What a difference. The rear soundstage just hung in the air. Detail and atmosphere was there in spades.

This is not to take away anything from my Vignettes. I upgraded to these from Klipsch Heresys which are great speakers, but they didn't match all that well with the Summits.

I didn't buy the Aeons because they were just too big for me...

So, back to my original question :)... which was basically - should I consider a full range (something like aeon/SL3) or a script? (I don't know if you saw the other thread ... I guess I could just go garbage pick some Prodigys???) :)
On Aeons - I just wonder about the height --- are they tall enough for rears?

So, back to my original question :)... which was basically - should I consider a full range (something like aeon/SL3) or a script? (I don't know if you saw the other thread ... I guess I could just go garbage pick some Prodigys???) :)
On Aeons - I just wonder about the height --- are they tall enough for rears?

The Aeons ARE tall enough for rears. And yeah, I guess a full surround speaker would be ideal. But I kinda thought the Aeons were an overkill. Some LF stuff comes through the rear speakers, but my receiver is configured for small surrounds, so in my system smaller surrounds aren't that much of a compromise.

The Aeons ARE tall enough for rears. And yeah, I guess a full surround speaker would be ideal. But I kinda thought the Aeons were an overkill. Some LF stuff comes through the rear speakers, but my receiver is configured for small surrounds, so in my system smaller surrounds aren't that much of a compromise.

Ideally, for 5ch listening (and movies) all speakers should be identical (w idendical ampification). So another pair of Odysseys or as close as possible would be good :) When I upgraded the ReQuests for the Summit's I wanted to keep the ReQuests for rears, but my wife sat her foot down. Choosing domestic peace over audio bliss, I sold them and got white Scripts to blend in on the white rear wall.
***** whipped anyone?

Ideally, for 5ch listening (and movies) all speakers should be identical (w idendical ampification). So another pair of Odysseys or as close as possible would be good :) When I upgraded the ReQuests for the Summit's I wanted to keep the ReQuests for rears, but my wife sat her foot down. Choosing domestic peace over audio bliss, I sold them and got white Scripts to blend in on the white rear wall.
*****-whipped anyone?

Latest posts

Back