Really good solo piano recordings

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube60

Reaction score
Any recommendations?
Doesn't matter the genre, just as long as it's a work of art!
Thanks in advance!:D

Off the bat, I heartily recommend these...

Telarc: Malcolm Frager Plays Chopin
RCA (I think): Barry Douglas Mussorgsky- Pictures At An Exhibition
Windham Hill: anything by George Winston
Yarlung Records: David Fung The Piano- Evening Conversations

BTW, Yarlung recordings are phenomenal, and they are starting to release some in high-res. I've been meaning to order more.

Off the bat, I heartily recommend these...

Windham Hill: anything by George Winston

December is still my favourite by Winston. Just classic. it just breathes "winter" and "Christmas" to me. His other "seasonal" albums are very good, but Forest was uphill work.

One that i'd add is Harry Connick Jr's 21 which has some great stride piano on it.

On the classical side, if you can get the Reference Recordings RR-25CD / Nojima Plays Liszt, go for it. Hopefully not out of print yet.

One of the most amazing piano CD's I've heard. Has it all. Artistry, dynamic range, clarity, etc.

If you like Ravel, same artist and label.

Another nice Classical CD is the Piano Music by Edvard Grieg, Ian Davis pianist. Audifon CD72022.

Then there's the myriad of solo piano recordings by Keith Jarrett. Well recorded but can be somewhat abstract on the jazz side of the equation.

You might try Concert at Kohn, which is one of his well known recordings.

Happy listening.

GG

December is still my favourite by Winston. Just classic. it just breathes "winter" and "Christmas" to me.

December is also my favorite George Winston title.

Also try David Lanz ~ Cristofori's Dream

Anything by Evgeny Kissin

His Carnegie Hall recording is a masterpiece.

Also, I second the Nojima plays Lizt recording.

It was that recording playing a pair of Quests that conviced me that a live piano was playing in the room (before I reached the room). Once in the room, I still could not believe it.
Then and there, I swore I'd get ML's. Sure enough, hooked for 15+ years now...

The Zenph rerecording of Glen Gould playing Bach's Goldberg Variations is a great bit of technological legerdemain. All the passion of the original recording with better sound without Gould's infernal humming.

Classical:

Horowitz in Moscow
Rubinstein: Ludwig Van Beethoven Piano Sonatas - get the cd with Pathétique, Moonlight, Appassionata, Les Adieux

Jazz - Dave Brubeck

Guess I'm just an audiophile wannabe! I just realized that I remember good performances, not good recordings.

Latest posts

Back