Readynas NV+

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satch

Reaction score
I want to build a music library on to the Readynas NV+. I,m trying to figure out how to get the best quality files from my own cd collection, from downloadable sources and I may have access to some rare and out of print vinyl records.

I'll be getting an iBook and I think that comes with Apple Lossless- Opinions?

I haven't bought the Readynas NV+ yet but followed the thread from Kruppy, Kcl, Sleepy_Surf, Captian Tinker and Joey_V and decided to go that route.

Skateboarding at the NASCAR race!
Satch

SlimServer doesn't take much to run - I'm running it on a Pentium II with 128MB RAM, but if I had my time again I'd be doing it with the ReadyNAS. I'm not sure of the specifics though - someone else might be able to help you that already runs a ReadyNAS.

ALAC is great with iTunes - I am using a mixture of ALAC and FLAC (which seems to be more universal in the audiophile world), but can't tell any difference in sound quality. I also produced WAV files from each and received exactly the same checksum, so I wouldn't have any issue building your collection on Apple Lossless. It will certainly be easier and get you listening to your music faster!

Thanks amey01,

The computer I'm on now is running Windows XP, Pentium 4 processor and a bunch of stuff I know nothing about. Its in a different room than the stereo but I do have a Lynksys wireless Broadband router. This is an option for downloading FLAC files.

The companies that download high end music files want to run through Internet Exploder... I mean Internet Explorer. I've been warned away from that by computer geeks. I'm using Mozilla Firefox as my server. I'm starting to wonder if I'm being too paranoid about the Explorer thing. I want to download the highest quality music files that I can so when I upgrade my MLs I'll have good stuff upstream.

Satch

FYI... for those of you thinking about running SlimServer directly off a NAS device, probably worth mentioning that Logitech/SlimDevices is already developing their next-generation server software, to be called "SqueezeCenter", as well as their next generation handheld controller (code name "Jive"), which will move the display from the device to your hand. I doubt that SqueezeCenter will require substantially more computing power, but it's certainly possible it may not run optimally on current stock NAS devices. The technical/programming details of the new platform are way over my head, but lots more info can be found at the SlimDevices Developer Forums... http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

FYI... for those of you thinking about running SlimServer directly off a NAS device, probably worth mentioning that Logitech/SlimDevices is already developing their next-generation server software, to be called "SqueezeCenter", as well as their next generation handheld controller (code name "Jive"), which will move the display from the device to your hand. I doubt that SqueezeCenter will require substantially more computing power, but it's certainly possible it may not run optimally on current stock NAS devices. The technical/programming details of the new platform are way over my head, but lots more info can be found at the SlimDevices Developer Forums... http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

You mean I might have to retire my Pentium II server that is faithfully serving me 300GB of music! Hopefully Squeezecentre will run just fine on it.

I'm also running an app on a HP iPaq handheld that puts the display in your hand. Very good, forget the name though!

Valid point about running directly off a NAS, but if the performance was too slow you could always switch to a PC at a later stage to run Squeezecentre.

The benefits of not having a PC running all the time would be great!

From searching this site and following the links, I've come across two interesting products that make sense for what I'm trying to put together.

Followed a link from tonepub that took me to Music Giants and I really like what they have to offer. But they can only be accessed by Internet Exploder and I want to stay away from that if I can.

The other link I followed from tonepub was Tone Audio online mag. and in that there was an ad for Sooloos that has a touch screen system with album art and high res files.

I've been drooling over the ML systems I've seen on this site and appreciate the brain trust of the members here.

I'm planning my strategy to put together a system you will all be proud of and would like to take advantage latest tech and best values.

Please forgive my ignorance. I'm used to the other side of the stage...

Back