Preamp/ Amp Upgrade

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omar

Reaction score
Hello Every One !

Current System

Misubishi 73" HD DLP Diamond Series TV
Panasonic Blue Ray DVD
Sony 400 Disc DVD Changer
Yamaha RXV-2700 Reciever 140 Watts x 7 Channels
Panamax Surge Protection
Dish Network VIP 620 Reciever
Butt Shaker Amp 900 Watts to 6 home theater seats

Speaker System
Center Channel - Stage
R& L Mains - Vantages
Subwoofer- Depth i
Surrounds- Script i
Surround Backs- Frisco i

Year Purchased- 3/2007
Room Size 11' Widthx 21 feet Depthx 7.5' Height
Need advice on preamp and amp upgrade to best suit my setup
Also advice on depth i configuration to eliminate standing waves. my bass is much more noticeable in back row than in front row of theater
Currently no room treatment done. Is it better to hang framed art posters with no glass vs accoustic treatments/ paneling

proud to be a new member
Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome to another Chicago member, we are getting quite the crowd on here.

You definitely want to go with acoustic treatment panels or heavy drapes rather than framed artwork sans glass. As you will find discussed here much over the winter, the biggest bang for you buck in sound improvement will be acoustically treating your room.

For amplifiers and preamps it all has to with budget. Amps are the easy part, lots of quality power (current in particular). My favorites are the Sanders Sound Systems ESL amplifiers 360 wpc @8 ohms for the stereo and 800 wpc for the mono blocks. These never clip and run cold to the touch. The Carver Sunfire amps hard hard to beat for the money (especially if you can get a good used set from audiogon).

In my opinion pre/pro's are much harder to pick this year. The big Denon looks great at $7K. I just purchased an Integra DTC-9.8 $1,500 but I think it was too soon. The industry is still trying to figure out the standards HDMI and here the audio codecs and dacs belong (the processor or the dvd player). I would go cheap here and figure on trading out in 12-24 months.

If you would like to stop over some time and talk music and equipment just send me a pm.

--burke

Back