Passive Crossover bypass – Quest / reQuest

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

lifespeed

Reaction score
I would like to revive this thread to enquire about the digital crossover aspect of bi-amping. While there is some detail to pay attention to when bypassing the passive crossovers, particularly in the Quest z, what have people done with regards to PC-based digital crossover (bass management?) and room correction? I'm guessing two DACs driven by AES/EBU sharing a common clock would be one approach, but I would like to hear the details of what has been done.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
After a decade-long slumber, the thread awakes !

While I've not directly tried this, other computer audio forums have shown it is possible to do a full bass-manged + 2-way crossover, plus DRC, all on a PC.

I would try Jriver MC (I use MC24 myself, but just for playback) and set up the bass management and crossovers using that. And then for extra-credit, fold in Dirac Live DRC.

You might want to peruse the River forum for more details: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/

But that gets complex quick, and can be challenging even for geeks.

I love the stability I have with my Marantz AV8802 doing all the (primary) bass management and letting the DBX4800 just do crossovers and time alignment of elements within the same speaker.

BTW- my DriveRack is now 12 years old, runs 24/7, never requires a reboot or anything, it just works.

jedi35

Reaction score
Hi Jon, what a pleasure to see this thread come alive again, and to hear from you!! I'm still regretting my chance to meet you and hear your system when I was touring in the Atlanta area. Honestly, so much audio and video equipment(including 2 Sony 4K 3D TVs) are blocking access to my Monoliths that I haven't heard them in years. I plan to remedy that this summer. It's crazy what I have allowed this to happen. I'm sure that I'll be asking for updated advice on setup, measuring, new settings, etc. once I get around to that.

Adrian