Panel vacuuming observation

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this talk about French Maids I can't help myself.:rolleyes:
What if she served you a drink while she dusted the Logans?:cheers:
http://www.3wishes.com/images/frenchmaid-d.jpg

I am a LEG MAN and WOW, they certainly have those! They could touch my monkey...errr Logans ANY DAY dressed like that. I would prefer that they clean the subwoofer portion though... LOL! :devil:

For those easily offended don't click on the link.:devil:
All this talk about French Maids I can't help myself.:rolleyes:
What if she served you a drink while she dusted the Logans?:cheers:
http://www.3wishes.com/images/frenchmaid-d.jpg

Hot they are in those uniforms, but that is an average looking woman where I am at. I give 'em an 8. Wish some of you guys could visit and see what I'm talking about... Hot girls working at McDonalds, Hot girls driving shitty cars, hot girls taking the bus & subway any time of the day and there are at least four to every tram car... and they are as sweet as can be. :)

I really am in heaven. NOT MOVING!

Hot they are in those uniforms, but that is an average looking woman where I am at. I give 'em an 8. Wish some of you guys could visit and see what I'm talking about... Hot girls working at McDonalds, Hot girls driving shitty cars, hot girls taking the bus & subway any time of the day and there are at least four to every tram car... and they are as sweet as can be. :)

I really am in heaven. NOT MOVING!
She was ugly compared to the avarage scandinavian girls I`m used to seeing ;)

She was ugly compared to the avarage scandinavian girls I`m used to seeing ;)

If thats the case send me a few of your uglier ones, I am sure they will do just fine! PS..if you have any average single friends in the 30-38 range, tell em I said hiya.

French maids?

Hi guys,

How did we get from vacuuming panels to french maids?

GG

blow, then suck

I usually hit both sides of the panel with a few bursts from a "Dust-Off" can of compressed air to loosen the dirt before vacuuming.

I usually hit both sides of the panel with a few bursts from a "Dust-Off" can of compressed air to loosen the dirt before vacuuming.

My only hesitation to using the compressed air is that after a 30 seconds it turns icey cold. That I cannot imagine is a good thing.

Viking, yes you are right in every way. We have the best.

Gordon, sorry... seems most threads get hijacked or have irrelevent posts. What can I say... If I said something every time it happened to me I would be perceived as more of an a$$hole than I already am. ;)

-Cheers.

I still got to try this, but I dont want to because everything sounds just fine as they are. My mom always said, don't rock the boat... and my ER attending repeatedly told me, don't go looking for trouble when there isn't one.

We will see.... ;) .

You should think of it like maintanance. Are you saying you don't change the oil on your car becouse it's working? After a while it will stop working. If you don't vacume your ML's they will not work as good as they can. The manual also states that there is no danger in doing it...

Only if

My only hesitation to using the compressed air is that after a 30 seconds it turns icey cold. That I cannot imagine is a good thing.
you hold the trigger down for that long (in which case you are using it incorrectly.) Short, one or two second bursts is the way to do it, shaking the can every so often. Make sure you use ONLY the compressed air type. There are some that have a chemical gas which could be harmful.

I mailed ML about the brush thing...here is the mail I got back

"Thank you for your interest in Martin Logan and our products. In regards to your question about cleaning your Aerius speakers with a vacuum, I would recommend that you do not use the brush extension on the end of your vacuum hose. Although it is unlikely, the brush could end up damaging the diaphragm. I would recommend just unplugging them before you go to sleep the night before and vacuuming it anytime the next day. If you should have any further questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to contact me at your convenience. Thank you for your passion and dedication in Martin Logan."

:bowdown:

Hmmm, I've always used the vacuum brush accessory (soft bristles), thinking it was GOOD for loosening the dust and cleaning the stator perforations. Haven't noticed any scratching of the membrane, nor degradation in sound. I guess ML is concerned the brush action could damage the conductive coating on the membrane. Time to rethink that approach.

This is exactly why

Hmmm, I've always used the vacuum brush accessory (soft bristles), thinking it was GOOD for loosening the dust and cleaning the stator perforations. Haven't noticed any scratching of the membrane, nor degradation in sound. I guess ML is concerned the brush action could damage the conductive coating on the membrane. Time to rethink that approach.
I do the "air blast" thing first, to loosen the dust before vacuuming, and avoid using the brush attachment. I then use the upholstery nozzle (4" long 1/2" wide slot) on a little Eureka Mighty Mite tank vacuum (very powerful.) I go back and forth horizontally across the stator in 3" wide swaths, sort of cupping one hand around the nozzle portion so more air/suction is pulled over the membrane. As long as the plastic nozzle is worn and has no mold burrs (sand them off otherwise) it won't damage the finish on the stators.

Jim Power answers my inquiry about panel age:

Jim
On a different note, I've had the panels in my IIz's now since I think 1993, when you replaced them because the damping patches fell off the originals. They sound great (I think -- meaning I wouldn't have noticed gradual deterioration over such a long time.) I did the bass stretch w/ a heat gun (works better than a hair dryer cause you can move faster) but not because they were buzzing or anything. And the membrane doesn't seem dirty although if you look real closely thru the stators, you can see little dust deposits (I guess they are) in the pattern of the stator holes - they don't come off with vacuuming. Are these a problem? Should I wash the panels? (seems like a hassle) or just order new ones at this point? Can the panels still be OK after all this time?
Neil Golden

Hi Neil,
The panels probably do have a minor accumulation of dust and whatnot. That is the normal pattern of accumulation to follow the holes. However dust is only a factor when you also have humidity. Dust by itself is of no real consequence. It requires the humidity for it to become conductive. Tucson doesn’t strike me as a humidity Mecca by a long shot. I think it is absolutely of no consequence in your situation. I have seen 20 year old panels test perfectly with low humidity. Still if you are interested, we can certainly replace them. They are still $890/pair and include a 5 year warranty. We always try to keep a fresh pair on the shelf. We just build them as the need arises. Let me know if I can help.
Have a good weekend.
jp

I think concerns using the brush attachment revolve around some brushes that have longer bristles which could scratch the membrane. My brush attachment has very short bristles and there is no way they are long enough to reach the membrane on my Summits.

I think concerns using the brush attachment revolve around some brushes that have longer bristles which could scratch the membrane. My brush attachment has very short bristles and there is no way they are long enough to reach the membrane on my Summits.

Are you absolutly sure?? ;) ;)

My concern with using the compressed air is the propellant that most of them use. I am scared of that putting a coating on the membranes and worse yet dust sticking to that.

Read the label!

My concern with using the compressed air is the propellant that most of them use. I am scared of that putting a coating on the membranes and worse yet dust sticking to that.
The label will say just what the can contains.

Clean them right now!!!

I cannot get over how much better my Summits sounded after I cleaned them. It had been over a year since I bought them new and you would never know by looking at them that they were dirty. Don't wait another second it is well worth it.......Steve

Back