Panel vacuuming observation

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attention Joey and other ML members

I cannot get over how much better my Summits sounded after I cleaned them. It had been over a year since I bought them new and you would never know by looking at them that they were dirty. Don't wait another second it is well worth it.......Steve

Steve,

Glad you had similar results. I was an "unbeliever" until I tried it. Pretty simple with no cost and an audible increase in performance. A deal no one can refuse.

Mon ami Joey, are you listening?

GG

Panel vaccuming observation

Didn't someone add that a certain dust cloth or spray on a dust cloth helped keep them a bit cleaner for a while longer. Has there been any improvement on these products? Anyone remember? thanks

Didn't someone add that a certain dust cloth or spray on a dust cloth helped keep them a bit cleaner for a while longer. Has there been any improvement on these products? Anyone remember? thanks
I use a swiffer to dust off the panels in between the vacuumings I do about every other month. I seem to remember someone recommending wiping the panels with a dryer sheet like bounce to help the panels resist dust, but I've never tried this.

Panel vacumming observation

Thanks, yeah you are right it was bounce.
But I take the woofer screen off and do that now just to keep everything clean and done at the same time. I would forget about the woofers sometimes and thats where a lot of dust is kicked up from the traffic and carpet and whatever. It probably doesn't make too much difference with woofers, but I do it just to complete the preventative maintenance compulsion.

My concern with using the compressed air is the propellant that most of them use. I am scared of that putting a coating on the membranes and worse yet dust sticking to that.

Why would compressed air need a propellant??? That really stumps me:confused: :confused:

I cannot get over how much better my Summits sounded after I cleaned them. It had been over a year since I bought them new and you would never know by looking at them that they were dirty. Don't wait another second it is well worth it.......Steve

I know Im preaching to the choir, but my first post-vacuuming experience :D

Well, Ive had my speakers for several months now, and was idly waiting for when I had the compulsion to get to vacuuming. I was in a unconcerned holding pattern, until it finally dawned on me that I had bought demo's, and that they probably haven't been vacuumed for a year, if not longer. So this morning took longer I thought (all the attachments have bristles, and the nozzle itself is small), and I gave them a test listen.

I was not expecting too much, perhaps a happy placebo effect of sorts. Well, even if the improvement was not as instantaneous "super-insane upgrade" as when I introduced the new cd player, the improvements were not subtle!!! Not in the slightest!

It first really hit with upper female voice; the articulations (mild vibratos in choral music, and endings/decays of notes). As a few tracks passed, my grin became stronger and more permanent. Even the imaging was noticeably improved. Clarity and separation as well... woo-hoo. I'll have to find some post-it notes for today's date, and do that dryer sheet thing too!

oh, btw, the clear-spars have spots where they look dirty, or at least quite colored. Is this typical? The vacuum didn't do anything. As for the rest of the panel, spic and span. I don't know how much it helps (can't hurt), but for the backs of the panels, I spent more time on the lower section, as dust often accumulates nearby on the top of the speaker cabinet...

I know there has been some conflicting posts about using a brush attachment when vacuuming. However, the owner's manual for the Vantage states "Dirt and dust may be vacuumed off with a brush attachment connected to your vacuum cleaner"

I cleaned mine last week and noticed an improvement. :music: I used my vac with brush attachment and didn't see any problems with it. It's not like I'm using excessive force or anything. Using compressed air scares me more than a brush I guess.

Not to be a SMART "A" butt

It all is really just 9th grade physical science. The volume (cf) of a small can would not last much longer than a scrambled eggs and beer fart.(my apologies for the blue collar vernacular) The liquid is just there to boil off and provide more than a gnats fart that one would get from a can of compressed (gaseous state) air.

For a More Detailed Explanation

It all is really just 9th grade physical science. The volume (cf) of a small can would not last much longer than a scrambled eggs and beer fart.(my apologies for the blue collar vernacular) The liquid is just there to boil off and provide more than a gnats fart that one would get from a can of compressed (gaseous state) air.

From Wikipedia: "If the can was simply filled with compressed gas, either it would need to be at a dangerously high pressure, or the amount of gas in the can would be small, and it would soon run out. Hence, usually, the gas is the vapour of a liquid with boiling point slightly lower than room temperature. This means that inside the pressurised can, the vapour can exist in equilibrium with its bulk liquid at a pressure that is higher than atmospheric pressure (and able to expel the payload), but not dangerously high; yet, as gas escapes it is immediately replaced by more evaporating liquid."

Back