Panel crossover and vocals

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macallan

Reaction score
I have a general question about ML and the panel/woofer crossover. Since Vantages have a crossover point of 400 does this mean that the dynamic cone handles everything under 400? If so doesn't that mean that male vocals are split between the panel and the cone? Does this compromise the cohesiveness?

I have a general question about ML and the panel/woofer crossover. Since Vantages have a crossover point of 400 does this mean that the dynamic cone handles everything under 400? If so doesn't that mean that male vocals are split between the panel and the cone? Does this compromise the cohesiveness?
Yes and no...just listen to them and tell us what do you think?...the cut is not like dropping like a brick. The crossover is set at 400Hz, but the panel still works @ 200Hz -12dBs!...in every design, there is a compromise, starting from the source! Coherence is the CLS, where there is no crossover at all...but from all ML models, there are magic from their sound!...happy listening,
Roberto.

Like above, don't forget that the crossover is not a brick wall separation, but a gentle (more gentle than other speakers) slope.

So, yes the human voice (not just male voice) IS reproduced by both the panel and the woofer for almost the whole range, just less and less woofer and more and more panel as you go higher.

To prove this, send a signal to only the woofer and see how much you can still hear.

I like the sound I was just suprised by how high the crossover point was set

I like the sound I was just suprised by how high the crossover point was set

Another point to consider, is that at 400Hz, you do not have too much problem with the phase...as you do with the tweeter's frequency cut (2KHz and beyond). Because the panel has such large acting area, and weights less than the air that it moves, it is so responsible and accurate for any kind of musical instrument(s), vocal(s)... your ears can tell the great sound coming from then, versus other type of design or topology. Happy listening,
Roberto.

When I first heard smaller MLs in the early 90s, I thought the bass integration was hurt by the relatively high xo point. But for a given model, as woofers got better, the sound also got better. But still, 400Hz is too high for me...

Back