Original Summits vs Summit X's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Therefore, the decision of Summit vs Summit X is most relevant.

Indeed, it is! That is an awesome system. I would scold you for not posting it in the member's systems' area . . . but I am guilty of the same infraction.

With the transparency of the system you have put together, I would think the improvements of the X would certainly be noticeable. The only question is would they be noticeable enough to be worth the extra bucks and hassle. Unfortunately, I haven't heard the X yet so I can't offer much useful advice.

If I were you, I think I would be patient and wait a little while longer though. The difference between the Summit and the X probably isn't huge. But I expect within a few years, ML will come out with a speaker that will be lesser than the CLX but better than the Summit X. That will probably be the best upgrade time in terms of bang for your buck. Just a thought.

Indeed, it is! That is an awesome system. I would scold you for not posting it in the member's systems' area . . . but I am guilty of the same infraction.

No, yours is there Rich. I look at it often :ROFL:

Would love to see babydoc's though, it sounds like quite the setup!
(Yours too Rich, but I'm thinking you must not own a camera!?!?)

No, yours is there Rich. I look at it often :ROFL:

Yeah, it's kind of hard for me to top that one.

Would love to see babydoc's though, it sounds like quite the setup!
(Yours too Rich, but I'm thinking you must not own a camera!?!?)

The sad part is that I am actually an amateur photographer with a complete setup of high-end cameras, lenses and studio flash gear. I just haven't had a lot of time since the kid was born to finish a few aspects of the room that I wanted to finish before I posted it. Too many irons in the fire. Then it kind of became a running joke and I had some fun with that.

But, I have just recently obtained a piece of furniture that I have been searching for to finish off the room and I expect to get some free time over the next week (wife and kids are going out of town) so I promise to make every effort to get my (real) system posted within the next week!

I know, I know . . . boy who cried wolf and all that. But this time I really mean it.

[/QUOTE]
I would like CLX's but room is only 21x15 and these speakers require more space. Therefore, the decision of Summit vs Summit X is most relevant.
Any help is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Babydoc,

FWIW, my room is 22.5 by 14 and the CLXs work well in it. Now I do have a dedicated listening room with floor to ceiling treatements but it sounds like that is not a problem for you.

It is true that CLXs can handle a larger room, they can and do, but you should not sell them short in a medium sized room. IMHO your room is close in dimensions to mine and you will find that the CLXs are flexible enough that they do work in a room of your size.

They are amazing to play with, you will be surpised as you dial them in but once they are dialed in, the experience is.....well ML at it's best.

Last night I listened to the 24 bit master copy of In the Court of the Crimson King in 5.1 for the first time and at least a dozen times I nearly fell off my chair. CLXs will transform your entire collection into a new listening experience.

Of course fedederal regulations require the following disclaimer:

"Your mileage may vary.":D

Now that I re-read your post I see you were asking for help......not sure that this was helpful. LOL

Or maybe it is, at least you wouldn't have to do a comparison of the X and the Summit. Less work getting the CLXs.:D

Goldfinger cartridge

Nice setup!

How do you like the Goldfinger?

I am actually now on version 2. I had the original for 3 years and when it came to retip, I was made a deal for the new version that I could not turn down. Glad I did. The old one was great but the new one is even better in getting microdynamics and air balance correct. It has twice as many coils and that probably explains the audible difference. It is very heavy so an arm would need a special counterweight, which I had from the old Goldfinger.
I am about to upgrade to a Pass XP-15 from an X-ONO so things will get even better.
I have had several clearaudios and am currently using a Stradivari in my other turntable. It is also a wonderful cartridge, somewhat warmer than the GF. What I have liked about Clearaudio is that they have always had an upgrade trade-in path that is vey good for customers.
The GFs are not easy to get but if you love vinyl, you must find a way to hear one properly set up. You will not find it easy to leave your listening chair.

CLX's and room size

I would like CLX's but room is only 21x15 and these speakers require more space. Therefore, the decision of Summit vs Summit X is most relevant.
Any help is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Babydoc,

FWIW, my room is 22.5 by 14 and the CLXs work well in it. Now I do have a dedicated listening room with floor to ceiling treatements but it sounds like that is not a problem for you.

It is true that CLXs can handle a larger room, they can and do, but you should not sell them short in a medium sized room. IMHO your room is close in dimensions to mine and you will find that the CLXs are flexible enough that they do work in a room of your size.

They are amazing to play with, you will be surpised as you dial them in but once they are dialed in, the experience is.....well ML at it's best.

Last night I listened to the 24 bit master copy of In the Court of the Crimson King in 5.1 for the first time and at least a dozen times I nearly fell off my chair. CLXs will transform your entire collection into a new listening experience.

Of course fedederal regulations require the following disclaimer:

"Your mileage may vary.":D

Now that I re-read your post I see you were asking for help......not sure that this was helpful. LOL

Or maybe it is, at least you wouldn't have to do a comparison of the X and the Summit. Less work getting the CLXs.:D[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help. I assume that you have your speakers set up in front of the short wall of your room. My problem is that I cannot use my room in the long dimension with speakers in front of the short wall. I had previously some very large ESLs (Acoustat) and could not get far enough away from the panels. This is how I came to the M-Ls to begin with. I tried briefly using CLSiiz's but ran into the placement problem so they went back for Ascent-i's and eventually Summits which have worked very well in this location.

That is correct. My system is #275 in the members systems area.

Too bad you can't use the front wall. I have my CLXs out about 4 feet from the the front wall, short wall. The Vistas are out from the rear wall almost the same. Maybe in your next house.:D

I used to have Summits before the CLXs. The Summits are very, very good and BTW much easier to dial in than the CLXs. CLXs are truly finicky, but then if it was easy, everyone would do it.:D

Wow babydoc, with your system you should be writing reviews for tonepub! If there is a difference between the Summit and the Summit X, you should be able to hear it.

Reviews for tonepub

Thanks guys. I would be happy to do so if invited. I used to write for Ultimate Audio years ago until it folded. This whole discussion has gotten me to think more about the CLX's again since it started. That might be the way I will ultimately go since it would be the biggest upgrade.

Latest posts

Back