Ok, HELP!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnP

Reaction score
Ok everyone, first let me say I am truely sorry for putting up a second post on this subject but I'm kind of in a position where I am suddenly very pressed for time to make a decision. Right now I have the following going on and cannot decide what to do so I'm looking to you all for some help here. I currently have found a Spectron M III new in the box and unopened for just a hair over $2K. I have also located a Classe CA 300 for a good price and had planed(if I go the Classe route) to buy a second one and use them as monoblocks. And I may possibly have a deal working on a set of SimAudio W6 monoblocks, not sure on that one as it could easily not work out. I hope to use one of these setups on my two main speakers, ML Odyssey's, the remaining speaks in my HT will be run off of a Sunfire CG Signature amp. My wife and I enjoy nice, warm soothing type music. Of course we like detail but not at the expense of relaxing, warmth if you know what I mean. What do you all think? Any advice/recomendations??? I'm lost and need to make a decision. Thanks so much and again, sorry for the second post but figured this one is more fitting to the matter at hand.
Sincerely,
John

My wife and I enjoy nice, warm soothing type music. Of course we like detail but not at the expense of relaxing, warmth if you know what I mean. What do you all think? Any advice/recomendations??? I'm lost and need to make a decision. Thanks so much and again, sorry for the second post but figured this one is more fitting to the matter at hand.
Sincerely,
John

Take a trip up to Audio Systems on Koenig and see if Stuart or any of the guys will hook up some ML's to tube amps and then to SS amps and see what you think. I think you will want to tubes... That said I sure do like that MOON gear!

First off John, at the level of amplification and $$$ you're looking to spend, YOU should be auditioning these products. I for one would NEVER buy such an important part of my system without listening / auditioning at length.

Most of us on this forum have good intentions but opinions are just that ! So with that being said, the afore mentioned amps you're considering are all fine pieces, listen and you decide.

Hi Guys,
Ok, the guy with the CA-300 made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I jumped on it. He's shipping it out today and it should be here next week so I guess my dilema is solved(for now). I honestly feel that I/we would most likely be happy with the Classe as we are so fond of warm sounding gear. I know the W-6's would just rock but have heard/read that they as well as the M III can, on some gear, be a tad lean. Also, the W-6's would have cost me quite a bit more. So, sorry for the double thread and thanks so much for the help. I'll let ya'll know what we think of the Classe once she gets here.

Pcar928fan,

Don't forget I have a huge tube amp(Mesa Baron) and it does sound glorious on the Martins, just doesn't match up with the remaining ML's for HT. Love tubes man but SS is getting there and I think the Classe is just about as close as I can get to tubes.
:cheers:

John

Last edited:
As an owner of the Classe' CA300 for the last 10 years, I can say that the CA300 is a juggernaut. It's in a different league than the CA200 altogether. FYI, Classe' made changes to the CA201 series' power-supplies to bring it closer to the CA300/CA400 implementation. The CA300 is quite smooth and will be able to handle your HT duties by itself with ease, no need to get another one! What you'll notice about the CA300 is liquid, smooth midrange, deep bass, but a bit softer than the taut, vise-grip like control of the Krell. I got the Classe' for its smooth midrange performance 10 years ago.
That said, I notice that you already have the SunFire Signature so here's something you'll want to consider as well. Why not have the SunFire handle the bass of your Prodigys and get a smaller, musical amplifier for the panels. Something around the 100-150wpc like BAT 200 series (VK200/220/250), Pass Labs X150, Plinius SA-100, Monarchy SE-160 monos, etc... will make the panels SING! You already mentioned that your main focus is HT so I won't even go into the tube realm.

Good luck with your search

Spike

Hi Spike,
Well in case you missed it I already bought the Classe CA 300, that babe is on it's way to my casa right now! I'm excited about that, yes sir. Anyway, I had thought about that, hooking the Sunfire up to my woofers and the CA 300 to the panels. Sure would be nice as there will be two unsed channels on the Sunfire just sitting there, left all alone out in the cold. Hate to do that to em. Was worried a little though because the Sunfire is 425wpc and the CA 300 is 300wpc. Will this cause any problems?

John

Congrats on the Classe'

The actual wattage rating of the amplifier is not that important when matching amps. The gain factor is the key. I know that the Classe' has 26db of gain and I think the SunFire's gain is roughly in the neighborhood. Even then, a couple of db difference does not make that much of the difference, especially when the difference is shifted more toward the bass side.

Good Luck

Spike

Cool, thanks for the info Spike, I'm going to give that a try. You had mentioned tubes previously, I have a Mesa Baron and boy did it make those speakers sing! But I'm going to have to sell her as it's just sitting in the box wasting away. Anyway, thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

John

So, how's the Classe CA300? I have an almost identical situation; looking at a Classe CA300 to run my Prodigy in 2 channel with a Sunfire Sig Cinema Grand for center and surround duty.. how'd it turn out?

Dan

Back