Obsessive hobbies....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm becoming increasingly aware of my physical limitations as I get older. Last Saturday my Fitbit said I had 244 zone minutes and I was wiped out all day Sunday. The previous weekend I had my first experience with Heat exhaustion. Headache, nausea and extreme weakness with an elevated heart rate. After resting half an hour my heat rate was still over 100bpm. My normal resting heart rate is mid 50's and mid 40's when I sleep and I consider myself in pretty good physical condition. I just don't remember ever being impacted by heat like this before.

I'm becoming increasingly aware of my physical limitations as I get older. Last Saturday my Fitbit said I had 244 zone minutes and I was wiped out all day Sunday. The previous weekend I had my first experience with Heat exhaustion. Headache, nausea and extreme weakness with an elevated heart rate. After resting half an hour my heat rate was still over 100bpm. My normal resting heart rate is mid 50's and mid 40's when I sleep and I consider myself in pretty good physical condition. I just don't remember ever being impacted by heat like this before.
One word, salt.

A lick of salt and a few ounces of water will quickly lower the heart rate when it's due to heat and dehydration. It's the salt that does the most good for this in the short term.

My sleeping heart rate is most often 52bpm, resting HR about 5bpm higher. When I began a keto diet I immediately found myself getting symptoms like you describe in hot weather, including very high heart rate. After looking up possible causes, I found that for me it was lack of minerals due to the body flushing it all out because of the keto, which also has the effect of being more easily dehydrated. I drank even more water - but - this alone doesn't hydrate, minerals are needed as well, electrolytes. I eventually doubled my salt intake and have been great ever since. With the increased salt intake my serum sodium level has been perfect, as are all other blood tests.

There have been a few nights when my heart rate was above 60bpm and I couldn't get to sleep. Ten minutes after 1/4 teaspoon of salt in water the heart rate dropped. This was when I was in a high state of ketosis.

BTW, a week ago I bought a Apple Watch Ultra and it works much better than my Fitbit did. Much more consistent. And it seems about as accurate as my Polar chest heart rate sensor, within a heart beat of the Polar when exercising.

It can happen at any age. When I was just 24 years old in graduate school I ended up having what I think was heat stroke. I went out for a bike ride when it was over 100 Fahrenheit. I'd not rode a bike for probably a few years, but used to do it seriously. Guess I was out of shape because it was less than 30 minutes that I had to turn around and go back to the apartment.
I was like you and had an elevated heart rate, up around 120 bpm, and it lingered for a long time. I developed chills too, like I had the flu with a fever. My body temp was around 104. I ended up falling asleep on the couch and woke up about 3 hours later and was just about back to normal. I lived there alone.

One word, salt.

A lick of salt and a few ounces of water will quickly lower the heart rate when it's due to heat and dehydration. It's the salt that does the most good for this in the short term.

My sleeping heart rate is most often 52bpm, resting HR about 5bpm higher. When I began a keto diet I immediately found myself getting symptoms like you describe in hot weather, including very high heart rate. After looking up possible causes, I found that for me it was lack of minerals due to the body flushing it all out because of the keto, which also has the effect of being more easily dehydrated. I drank even more water - but - this alone doesn't hydrate, minerals are needed as well, electrolytes. I eventually doubled my salt intake and have been great ever since. With the increased salt intake my serum sodium level has been perfect, as are all other blood tests.

There have been a few nights when my heart rate was above 60bpm and I couldn't get to sleep. Ten minutes after 1/4 teaspoon of salt in water the heart rate dropped. This was when I was in a high state of ketosis.

BTW, a week ago I bought a Apple Watch Ultra and it works much better than my Fitbit did. Much more consistent. And it seems about as accurate as my Polar chest heart rate sensor, within a heart beat of the Polar when exercising.
Wish I could use a heart rate monitor, but discovered I cannot. I rely on my defibrillator/pacemaker now for almost every heartbeat to pace. Apparently the monitors are unable to interpret that impulse. Devices just show errors.

Wish I could use a heart rate monitor, but discovered I cannot. I rely on my defibrillator/pacemaker now for almost every heartbeat to pace. Apparently the monitors are unable to interpret that impulse. Devices just show errors.
sorry, that's a bummer. Not knowing anything about pacemakers, I was not aware that heart rate monitors would have difficulty reading the heart rate.

It must have been quite a bit of learning involved once the pacemaker was implanted, to know how to live with one.

sorry, that's a bummer. Not knowing anything about pacemakers, I was not aware that heart rate monitors would have difficulty reading the heart rate.

It must have been quite a bit of learning involved once the pacemaker was implanted, to know how to live with one.
It sucks. The main problem is living with heart failure. I was a bodybuilder when I had a heart attack in the gym squatting heavy. It was in 08. I suffered a blood clot. So I'd been very healthy, and that's the reason doctors said I survived the heart attack because it was massive.
I'm lifting weights right now in fact. Never gave up on fitness. In between sets right now as I write this.

Working with a guy on a Force feedback flight stick based on the VP Force Rhino motors and electronics.

IMG_1076.jpg

My favorite hobby, more than audio, track day

Had a great group of people come out tonight, my dad's friend even brought his MG and took it lapping. I added a giant 9 Lives Racing wing on my Z06 last night and had spectacular results with it tonight. Downforce is so much fun, it adds another whole dynamic to driving.
PXL_20231004_203843566.jpg

Jake's Mazdaspeed 3, built motor, bigger turbo, wheelspin for days.
PXL_20231004_203859874.jpg

Old MG and my dad's Mazdaspeed 3
PXL_20231004_203902244.jpg

PXL_20231003_232152654.MP.jpg

What track were you at? I like to take my 911 turbo to Mid Ohio. I've not been in years though. I think I'll go again next June with my Porsche club.
Looks like you have a nice big garage!
I've only driven Mid Ohio, so my experience is limited.

What track were you at? I like to take my 911 turbo to Mid Ohio. I've not been in years though. I think I'll go again next June with my Porsche club.
Looks like you have a nice big garage!
I've only driven Mid Ohio, so my experience is limited.
This was at Grand Bend Raceway in Ontario Canada. It's fairly local to us so we do lots of track nights in the summer

Here's the one I drive. It's about a 2.5 hr drive from home. It's booked a lot and they do pro racing on it. I know they do indy car even. Challenging road course.
Screenshot_20231005-111602_Maps.jpg

That looks like a lot of fun, I always wanted an older air cooled Porsche but that's out of my budget. Nice to see other sports car owners driving them as they were intended.

This is my local track, we don't do the oval as I believe it's for carts only. Also ovals are lame.
Screenshot_20231006-135633~2.png

Screenshot_20231006-135818.png

I really do love this wing though, the added performance is wild.
PXL_20231004_012624080.jpg

That looks like a lot of fun, I always wanted an older air cooled Porsche but that's out of my budget. Nice to see other sports car owners driving them as they were intended.

This is my local track, we don't do the oval as I believe it's for carts only. Also ovals are lame.
View attachment 24598

View attachment 24599

View attachment 24600
Yeah, road course is a lot better. I didn't see that track on the map, missed it. Looks good.
More downforce must help a lot I bet. Many Porsches have the speed adjustable spoilers on back. Mine comes up at higher speeds.

View attachment 24598

View attachment 24599

View attachment 24600
Oh, mines a 2007 turbo, so it's a 997. Water cooled with the Metzger engine. Air cooled are crazy expensive now, especially turbos.

Your Corvette looks amazing. Nothing beats driving a true sports car and honing your track skills. I wouldn't rule out air cooled 911's as you have the skills to put together a fine street/track car out of a late 70's, 80's, or even the 964. Unfortunately I sold a 1973 911 T Targa awhile back. I had the pleasure of a couple Driver's Ed PCA events at Pocono International in it. I now plan to hang on to my 1995 993 Cab...lesson learned.

Your Corvette looks amazing. Nothing beats driving a true sports car and honing your track skills. I wouldn't rule out air cooled 911's as you have the skills to put together a fine street/track car out of a late 70's, 80's, or even the 964. Unfortunately I sold a 1973 911 T Targa awhile back. I had the pleasure of a couple Driver's Ed PCA events at Pocono International in it. I now plan to hang on to my 1995 993 Cab...lesson learned.
Those early 70s Ts sell for good money now. My neighbor across the street has an early 70s 911 but its not the T. Its only got about 45,000 miles on it too. Targa.

Unfortunately old Porsche's are out of my current budget, I don't need anymore projects right now anyway.

I need to build a front splitter for the Z06 over the winter and that will help balance the downforce a bit more. I also need to colour match the back bumper.

I'm late here but back to the MGA - my first two cars were MGAs. A '57 RHD followed by a '58 coupe. I loved them. Later I had a ride in an MGA that the owner had installed an XK-E drivetrain. It was a rocket, but legroom was virtually nil. Good times.

Back