No Pass Labs X5's in the MLC?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboomnash

Reaction score
I did a search of posts and threads with "X5" and came up with zero. There isn't a single Pass Labs X5 being used in any system or HT?

Lee

Lee,

There are numerous ML club members using various "X5" Pass Labs amps and, IMHO, there's a very good reason for that.

GG

I did a search of posts and threads with "X5" and came up with zero. There isn't a single Pass Labs X5 being used in any system or HT?

Lee

I have heard many ML's with the X-5 (five channel) amp. They have the same characteristics of the 2ch stereo amps. They are great!!! You cannot go wrong.

I have the Pass Labs X350.5 and was going to pair it with the X-3 for home theater, but I could never find any for sale on audiogon so I went ahead and bought a Sunfire. There are a few folks on this forum using the two-channel Pass amps, but not too many with the X-3 or the X-5.

Thanks for the replies.
I am exploring my amp options and it is narrowed between Plinius (SA-102/SA-103) or the Pass Labs (X250/X250.5/X5).
I have been emailing a Plinius dealer and Pass Labs dealer. Unfortunately, the Plinius dealer has been slamming the Pass Lab amps.
Here are two quotes, "I don't think you would enjoy the Pass Labs sound on the Martin Logans, at least I know I wouldn't. The Plinius is very coherent and controlled in the bass, rich tonality and just the right amount of extension in the treble. A great match with the ML."
and, "The reason you see so many Pass on Audiogon is because the performance of these amps is not that satisfying. I could be a Pass dealer, but then I wouldn't be quite as passionate about the music."

I was hoping Pass Owners would speak up as to the validity of these statements. I know that Plinius owners have been recommending that amp to me since it is durable and can handle the use it will get daily.
Both the Plinius and Pass have good reviews. I like looks of both with the large heat sinks.
Any X5 owners want to tell me their experiences?
Lee

"The reason you see so many Pass on Audiogon is because the performance of these amps is not that satisfying. I could be a Pass dealer, but then I wouldn't be quite as passionate about the music."

Lee

Sure ... and that would explain why there are so many Plinius amps on Trademe (the New Zealand version of Ebay) compared to Pass. Wouldn't be anything to do with the market share would it?

I have never heard a Plinius and a Pass in the same system. I strongly suspect it would be a matter of taste. If your heart is set on a Pass and your audition is a happy one go with it. If you have a question about the sound try the Plinius.

Kevin

PS above quote is Lee paraphrasing a dealer

Last edited:
Thanks KWR,,,, My big issue is I have not found a Pass or Plinius dealer in Colorado. So if I buy a Plinius, it will be a road trip to Utah to pick it up. If I go Pass labs, I will be stressed out waiting on a delivered amp from Reno. (Augh, see the sad thread about a damaged Pass amp)
Bottomline, I will be buying blind (actually deaf) since neither will be auditioned until I get my choice home and hooked to my Vantages.
I am so looking forward to getting home and hearing my system again after DEC 1st. :music:

Lee

Bottomline, I will be buying blind (actually deaf) since neither will be auditioned until I get my choice home and hooked to my Vantages.
I am so looking forward to getting home and hearing my system again after DEC 1st. :music:

Lee

Hi Lee,

Could I suggest if you are purchasing blind that the best one to try first is the one that you perceive you can onsell again. In the event (unlikely with your choices) that there is something you do not like about the sound at least you can get out of it without too much grief.

Best of luck - any chance that you could set up an audition somewhere? My personal opinion has sometimes been quite different to published reviews.

Kevin

Lee,

To be honest with you, I would never give my money to a dealer that would willingly feed me the hogwash that this Plinius dealer is feeding you just to make a sale. I would not trust this dealer and would strongly recommend you go to somewhere else if you decide to go with Plinius -- even if it means having it shipped.

First of all, Nelson Pass is a legend in the audio community for a reason. He has decades worth of experience building some of the finest amps in existence. The current models of Pass amps, such as the X-250.5 of which you speak, are built like tanks and sound heavenly. I own the X-350.5 and can personally vouch for their sound on Martin Logans. They have great bass, rich tonality and midrange, and sweet, extended highs. The fact that there are at least five or six members on this board who are more than satisfied with these amps driving Martin Logans should clue you in that this dealer is feeding you a line of B.S. in order to sell you something.

I had an Audio Research dealer feed me the same B.S. about Conrad Johnson equipment a couple of years ago and I walked out of his business determined never to enter that store again. I simply will not deal with someone who is going to lie to me to make a sale. It is a shame that dealers can't push the good points of the equipment they sell without bashing the competition.

I have never (yet) heard a Plinius amp but from what I have heard from members of this forum and around the web, they are fabulous amps. You really can't go wrong either way and I fully expect you will be satisfied with your purchase. The best would be if you could afford to buy a Pass and a Plinius on the 'gon and then re-sell the one that satisfied you the least. There is an active market for both brands, so that wouldn't be too tough.

Again, I would strongly encourage you that whichever brand you decide to purchase, that you not reward a dealer that would insult your intelligence in order to make a sale. In my opinion, you cannot trust that individual to treat you fairly.

I agree with Rich on this one and IMHO, any dealer who openly bashes another brand cannot be trusted. I have an X250 driving my reQuests and plan on getting an X3 or X5 when I upgrade to separates for my HT.

Pass amps are a PERFECT match with Logans as I'm sure Plinius amps are as well. It's all a matter of taste, budget, availability and your personal preference.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

Tom.

Audition first!

Hi Lee,

I agree with my friends Rich, Jason and others who have responded to your thread about this dealer.

Any reputable dealer should offer you a 30 day money back as long as you pay up front and, if you don't like it, pay for the return shipping costs.

When I was considering my Pass Labs purchase, I contacted three dealers and all were willing to do this.

Regarding the Plinius dealer with an attitude, he / she is one of the reasons hi - end audio has a bad reputation. I call them audiophile pimps and they have no business selling hi end gear. They should be working at Radio Shack selling widgets. I would strongly recommend that you do not do business with this store.

Call around and check out the return policy. If they won't offer a 30 day money back, move onto the next.

Good luck!

GG

PS: I absolutely love my 250.5.

Last edited:
Back