No More Hovland Anymore

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I never really cared for their stuff, it is sad and quite frankly a bit of a worry.

That said - really - how can the world support as many high-end manufacturers as we have today?

Short answer is, it can't. What other niche or hobby has the sort of selection that we do?

We're very lucky, but wake up guys - there is an oversupply of high-end equipment and there are going to be more culls like this...

Last edited:
True enough, the only high end brands will be those with large corporate ownership or the rare manufacturer who can entice the mid-fi market to their products.

it sounds like a thinning of the herd that's not always a bad thing.

The Hovland folks were good people, the products quite decent. A shame, but I predict there will be more fallout before it's over.

The Hovland folks were good people, the products quite decent. A shame, but I predict there will be more fallout before it's over.
that does not mean that they are done they may go on to do better and even more rewarding things you never know as individuals I mean.

that does not mean that they are done they may go on to do better and even more rewarding things you never know as individuals I mean.
Could be, but I doubt they will get back into audio. As individuals starting new ventures anything is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it given the demise of the old company rather than simply stepping out on their own from a healthy company. I believe one of the principals is an architect, ergo the styling.

Could be, but I doubt they will get back into audio. As individuals starting new ventures anything is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it given the demise of the old company rather than simply stepping out on their own from a healthy company. I believe one of the principals is an architect, ergo the styling.

I did not necessarily mean in audio I do not know them I have no idea what they may or may not do I just wish them well that's all.

http://www.stereophile.com/news/hovland_calls_it_quits/

Seems a real shame - they made some gorgeous and excellent sounding kit. Article is worth a read and expresses what a lot of high end manufacturers must be going through at the moment.:(
Sad indeed to see the company vanish, Hovland manufactured some fine preamps and amps ! I have been enjoying a HP-200 and a Radia with my Odysseys for a period of four years and will continue to do so for a long time !

Back