Newish Prodigy panel suddenly lost almost all volume overnight

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

18000rpm

Reaction score
I have a pair of Prodigies with new panels from ML, replaced in August 2018.

Suddenly one of the panels became very very soft literally overnight. I swapped the panels left and right and the problem followed the panel. I have cleaned the connector, and also checked that the solder point where the wires meet the panel are firmly attached and secure.

Anyone experienced this before, where a panel suddenly lost maybe 12dB of volume? I can still hear it but it's very soft.

Damn. Glad you posted this. I just replaced my panels about 1 year ago. Mine are fine now, but I will follow this thread to learn about what happened with your's. We have some knowledgeable folks here that will have an idea I bet.

When I was using my old panels, both were down about 12 db from what my new panels are.

Hopefully contacting ML directly through email might help. Ron there is pretty good about getting back fast through email.

Ron was helpful (told me to swap panels which is how I determined the issue is with the panel and not the electronics) until I mentioned that I'm in Singapore, after which he refused to help further and told me to talk to my dealer. The dealer I bought all my speakers from is no longer the authorized distributor in my country.

I'm hoping to hear if anyone had a similar experience as mine where a panel literally "died" overnight, and any suggestions on what could cause this.

Very frustrating because within the last 3+ years I have purchased new panels, new power supply and new transformer from ML, all installed by the dealer for over $5K+. I spent the money because I really like the Prodigies and wanted to keep using them.

Ron was helpful (told me to swap panels which is how I determined the issue is with the panel and not the electronics) until I mentioned that I'm in Singapore, after which he refused to help further and told me to talk to my dealer. The dealer I bought all my speakers from is no longer the authorized distributor in my country.

I'm hoping to hear if anyone had a similar experience as mine where a panel literally "died" overnight, and any suggestions on what could cause this.

Very frustrating because within the last 3+ years I have purchased new panels, new power supply and new transformer from ML, all installed by the dealer for over $5K+. I spent the money because I really like the Prodigies and wanted to keep using them.
To me, if it died abuptly like that and not slowly, it would have to be the connection the wires make with the panel. Its the only logical thing I think. I dont know a lot about the panels, but there really isnt all that much on a panel to go wrong. Maybe one of the wires has a fracture? DId the panels slide down with gravity, or do you have the stat stops in place to stop them?

Yes I agree Robert, Ron also asked me to check the wiring/solder points. I inspected them and they all look fine and secure.

1643398537655.png

1643398550620.png

1643398562290.png

I also stuck some thick foam tape over the amber insulation tape to press the wires to the panel when I put them back and that made no difference.

and you checked the connector as well. That really is a mystery. Panels should last a long time. The originals I had were over 20 years old before I replaced them, and if it were age of course both panels would be like that.

Yes I did, connector looks fine and I also sprayed some contact cleaner on both the connector and socket.

Russ runs his own panel repair company. You could contact him by phone or email. He might be able to help you somehow. He knows the panels well. He has helped some others on here. Not sure if you have tried him yet. Even if he didnt fix it himself, he might be able to give you some information that might help you figure it out.

ESL Repair - Home

Back