New System Recommendations

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, lot's of great advice. I took my wife to Magnolia today, which turned out to be a good thing and we had a good listen. As a result, my budget has been increased (actually doubled) and this is what we've mostly settled on. The Ascents, Theater, Fresco and Decent. Also, we added a 67" Samsung to the mix. As far as drivers go I haven't decided but I'm leaning to slightly used McIntosh gear.

I don't have room for Scripts for the surround so what's everyones opinion of matching the Frescos with the rest?

taylode said:
Wow, lot's of great advice. I took my wife to Magnolia today, which turned out to be a good thing and we had a good listen. As a result, my budget has been increased (actually doubled) and this is what we've mostly settled on. The Ascents, Theater, Fresco and Decent. Also, we added a 67" Samsung to the mix. As far as drivers go I haven't decided but I'm leaning to slightly used McIntosh gear.

I don't have room for Scripts for the surround so what's everyones opinion of matching the Frescos with the rest?

How would Summits fit in your new budget? Maybe you can squeek right by with the Summits? If you could, that would be realllll cool!

That's a good question! They're still pricey but what's worse is the time to get them. I'm not sure I have that much patience. :(

Dennis

taylode said:
That's a good question! They're still pricey but what's worse is the time to get them. I'm not sure I have that much patience. :(

Dennis

Patience my friend... have patience.

I would wait and audition the Summits if the wallet affords it. The worst thing that could happen is that you fall back to the Ascents. This is your one time to buy what you truly desire and time shouldnt be a factor in your final choices.

Taylode, Nothing wrong with excellent/mint used equipment, I purcahsed the following on a "tight" budget:

Sunfire Theater Grand III bought new - discontinued cause of TG IV for 2200
Sunfire 600~2 2 channel (main) amp 1 yrs old @ 1425
Sunfire 200~5 5 channel (HT) amp 2 yrs. old @ 800
Ascent-i maple new in box shipped from cal. ML dealer 2 months ago for 3000
Aerius-i (rears) in matching maple 1.5 yrs. old for 900
Theater (not the i) 2.5 yrs. old for 1000

I am at 9225.00, all the "used" equipment is literly like new condition. Bought from audiophile extremeists that respect and love their equipment, yet have a tendency to upgrade at will, so I will gladly buy a product that a year ago was the cats meow! There honestly is not a scratch, blemish, fade, or other inconsistancy on anything I have bought, or I wouldn't but it. It takes a little time, I look at the "slightly used" market a part of the hobby.

Jon: Thanks for the info and examples of what can be done within a budget.

Dennis

Dennis,

You are getting a lot of great advice here. Just remember that the used market, especially audiogon, holds some great treasures at fantastic prices. The only new items I have bought were purchased from dealers that were willing to take most all of their mark up out to compete with used prices on Audiogon (www.audiogon.com).

Have fun putting it together and do not be in a rush!

Mark

Back