New Member - should I buy Aerius i (used) or new ML Source

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpatter

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am working on the big step of moving up to ML. My question - am I better off with a used pair of Aerius i or buying the new ML Source speakers?

What is the difference in sound quality? Is there differences in the requirements for amps? Other considerations.

Thanks for your advice.

Dave

I just sold my pair of ML Sources and they were great (got a great deal on vistas). They are more efficient then Aerius and would be easier to drive. I have heard both but at way different times so I could not do a comparison. I prefer the sound of the updated technology of the newer line, but that is something you need to find for yourself. Magnolia or Tweeter setups will not do justice to what the Source can do, but if you have a chance to listen to both on comparable equipment that would be the best way to find out. I think you will win either way.

I heard the Sources as part of a 5.1 setup. Very nice. It's been so long since I listened to the Aerius line that I couldn't make that call.

~VDR

I reviewed the Martin Logan Source at a local hi-end audio store (not Best Buy). Hooked up to Rotel electronics, it was warm, musical, inviting, and engaging. It captures the emotion of the recordings well. Although the sound was clear, I personally did not find them thin, irritating, or "unforgiving" leading to headaches. I listened to Paul Simon, Transformers score soundtrack, Natalie Merchant, Coldplay, Alison Kraus Live (to name a few). It had a nice natural bloom to it. I found myself drawn into the music, and tapping my toes.

Back