need suggestions for clsii

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jkcheng122

i'm currently using audio research sp14 and cl60 to power the speakers. i'm lookin for possible solid-state power amps to replace the cl60 as the cost of the tubes' lifespan is hard to swallow. if you can, please list retail and used prices as well. thanks.

Last edited:
I HIGHLY recommend the Innersound ELS300MKII. I have tried all of the following:

VTL MB-150
VTL MB-125's
Bryston 4bst
Bryston 7bst's
Blue Circle BC2's
Blue Circle BC26

And found the Innersound the best of the bunch -especially given that it's a bargain compared to some other amps. But it does depend on what your looking for. Eseentially you need to find an amp that can handle the huge current demands. I'm sure there are others that would work better -Halcro, Lamm, Krell etc. but these are out of my price range.

Can anyone provide any comments regarding the newer breed of Digital amplifiers? i.e. Rowland, Bel Canto etc... I believe they are referred to as 'Class T'.

Does anyone think they would work with CLS'es???

alexl911 said:
Can anyone provide any comments regarding the newer breed of Digital amplifiers? i.e. Rowland, Bel Canto etc... I believe they are referred to as 'Class T'.

Does anyone think they would work with CLS'es???
Hola. I did try the Audio Research 150.2. It is rated 150W/ch and at moderated level, gave a good sound to my CLS IIz. But still my heart is with tubes. Why don't you try the Blue Circle power amp?...this beast could drive any ML model without stress and offering one of the best SS sound available. I do recommend it for sure! I don't know what is wrong with my ears, but digital sound it is not my liking...and I hear fast, wide stage, great bass, but the detail and the warm sound of the instruments is there but do not convince me. Something is missing. All I say is: "trust your ears and not in specs".
Happy listening,
Roberto.

the problem isn't the sound, it's the lifespan and the cost of the tubes.

if i replace the power amp, should i replace the preamp with the same brand power amp as well?

also got a bigger problem on hand right now. the right speaker is producing a popping noise at a certain volume and above. and that threshhold volume is very low. already tried vacuuming, gonna have to try the heat treatment later today. i fear the months of not using while waiting for the power amp to be fixed and the moving to a new house may have caused damage to it.

can anyone give me some more detail and charging up the speakers? how long do i leave them running and at what volume?

sorry if i sound newbish as the system was my father's before he passed away. and just i'm starting to get into it the speaker isnt working properly. :(

jkcheng122 said:
the problem isn't the sound, it's the lifespan and the cost of the tubes.

I can relate to that point - as much as I like the tube sound with ML's. So I too run a SS Amp.

if i replace the power amp, should i replace the preamp with the same brand power amp as well?

Keep the tube preamp. I run an ARC16L as my pre. I have always liked the sound of a tube pre with SS amp, or even a Hybrid amp like the Blue Circle's and others. With running a SS amp, the tube pre helps things out sound wise - at least for my liking and tastes.

Tubes for the Pre's should last you 2 years or so and for the 16 they are only $90 for 6 of them from ARC - tested and matched.

Dan

multi channel

are there any multichannel amplifiers capable of 6.1 digital sounds (for home theater) and also able to produce good sounds out of clsii?

jkcheng122 said:
are there any multichannel amplifiers capable of 6.1 digital sounds (for home theater) and also able to produce good sounds out of clsii?

Hi,
Take a look at Sunfire's lineup of amps, they sound very good, are reasonably priced, and are more than capable of driving the low impedances that ML's present to the amp.

Peter

http://www.sunfire.com/amp.htm

Back