Mixing 2 different brands of subs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar04

Reaction score
I recently ordered a ML Depth i to use with my Theos and Motif 5.1 system (using some Emotiva ERD-1 Bipole for surrounds for now). I currently have a REL T-2 as my primary subwoofer and was wondering if it would be worth integrating it into my system? My AV-7005 has 2 Sub outputs so hookup would be easy, I'm just not sure how well the single 8" T-2 will blend with a 3x 8" Depth i if both being used in the front of my system.

The other hookup I could do would be to not use the LFE output for the REL and use just the high level input (REL has some proprietary name for it that I can't recall) that just monitors the signal being sent out from the posts of the amp. I could wire that connection up to my rears and have that dedicated as my rear channel subwoofer.

Either of these options make sense or should I just sell it for a few hundred bucks and stick with the Depth i on it's own? (It's a pretty small room, I have a diagram of it in another post)

You have 2 excellent subwoofers IMO. I would keep the REL as having 2 or more subs is always better than 1 for even bass distribution around the listening room.

1. First phase match the REL sub to the Depth. Set the phase knob of one sub to 0 degrees and then adjust the other phase knob until you get the best even frequency response around the room. A room frequency display program would be of help here and many are available.

2. Make sure you level match each sub to 72-73dB for a combined 75dB reference level. Of course, the assumption is that the mains are also set to 75dB via pink/white noise generator in your pre-pro/AVR.

3. Lastly, phase match the combined subs to the mains. I do this in my pre-pro by varying the subwoofer distance settings.

I have my 2 subs(Sunfire HRS-12) on the front and rear side of my right wall and they blend superb with my new Spires.

Hope the above helps as it would give you the best bass and LFE listening experience ever!

- David

Last edited:
I have found that audyssey xt 32 in my integra 80.2 does a great job of integrating my descent I and Jl. 112.

eventually I'll get another Depth but unless $2,200 subs start growing on trees it'll be another 6-12 months before I can pony up for another Depth. I only have Audyssey XT in my AV-7005 but I'm pretty sure it will dial in the dual subs well enough, although I know XT32 takes quite a few more points of measurement.

One thing you might want to consider when matching levels is you need to take into account the maximum output capabilities of the two subs. In the case of the REL and the Depth, I do not know which one has the greatest output capability, but I doubt if they are equal. What you want to do is set the level lower for the sub with the lower output capabilites.

Think about watching a movie farily loud. If both subs are set equal, the sub with the lower output will overload and distort, while the other sub still has more to give. You need to set them so that at maximum loudness both will play undistorted.

I was told this by the guys as SVS for mixing my two different PC-Ultras (Ultra 12 and Ultra 13). I set the 12 a few dB lower than the 13. Seems to work great.

Chuck

I would try integrating both subs just for fun. But somehow I don't think you will be happy with the results. I agree with selling the REL. It's a great sub (I have a T2 with my Theos) but maybe the ML sub is a better overall with 3 x 8 inch drivers. Incorporating the REL might slow the ML sub down some-what.

Back