McIntosh car stereo *pics*

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominick22

Reaction score
I know that McIntosh has a cult like following here so I thought I would share this as it progresses.

I sold my theater i to redo my car stereo with McIntosh gear. Everything will be Mac in the end except for the sub woofer since they no longer produce them.

Anyway, here are a few beginning pics of the custom sub enclosure as I am starting to cover it with vinyl.

Dominick

Attachments

• DSC05761.JPG
    DSC05761.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 2,924
  • DSC05764.JPG
    DSC05764.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 2,915
Dom, I'm a McIntosh nut! Keep bringing the pics! I love the blue eyes!

Gordon

edit: think JL for the subs. I think you'll enjoy them!!!!

Gordon,

Originally, I bought a JL 10W7, but it is too large for the car. The speaker is too deep. So I looked into Focal and decided I did not want to spend 1k or more on a single sub. I talked with several dealers and one of them turned me on to a newer brand in the states called Hertz. They are affiliated with the car amp company Audison which has amps comparable to McIntosh.
Here is a link to the website. The sub is the Hi-Energy HX 250D. I cant link directly to it.

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/default_en.htm

Funny story-this is the first Hertz sub to be sold in the area (Columbus, Ohio) according to the rep, but I went to see it this past week when it came in. There was a random shopper there that said he used worked for a car audio install place in Pittsburgh, PA. According to him, Hertz was the best he ever heard. I mentioned my original thought of going with a Focal sub and he said he actually preferred the Hertz stuff.

Maybe this Italian brand will rival JL in the near future? Anyone else heard of it?

Dominick

More progress--The amps are pretty much done. Now, I just need to get the McIntosh Components installed with the mx-406 head unit and mpm-4000 power meter display. That will be installed on July 5th by the pros.

I can already tell that the Mac amps will be a marked improvement over the Memphis amps in terms of sound quality. I am able to control those bright highs better with the Mac amps. Many people like the super bright highs, but I do not. They sound harsh and cause me to fatigue quickly.

Hope you guys like it...especially you Gordon!

Dominick

Attachments

• DSC05775.JPG
    DSC05775.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 2,769
  • DSC05777.JPG
    DSC05777.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 2,702
  • DSC05779.JPG
    DSC05779.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 2,820
  • DSC05781.JPG
    DSC05781.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 2,881
  • DSC05784.JPG
    DSC05784.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 2,870
I think it look's sweet! I've been looking at the pics and can't figure out what kind of car are installing this in?

Gordon

I think it look's sweet! I've been looking at the pics and can't figure out what kind of car are installing this in?

Gordon

Must be a rear engine it looks like hood louvers on the rear lid . maybe a MR2 or similar

OK guys and gals,

The car McIntosh stereo is complete. I hope you enjoy the eye candy. The initial listen was amazing. I can play much louder now with a considerable amount of less distortion. The user interface on the head unit gives me the same feeling as attending a sporting event with tickets for a sky box. Everything I touch feels polished as though much thought has been put into the feel of the product as well as the construction and quality.

My wife loves the look of the amps which is important because she was not too happy about the overall price!lol Her favorite color is green and thinks the green McIntosh lights are beautiful. Note-she also said that she noticed a significant improvement on the first listen. This is an important fact because she is always saying that she wished she could hear and enjoy music the way I do. Maybe now she can?

Dominick

Attachments

• DSC05826.JPG
    DSC05826.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 10,600
  • DSC05823.JPG
    DSC05823.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 4,765
  • DSC05825.JPG
    DSC05825.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 2,586
  • DSC05820.JPG
    DSC05820.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 2,517
  • DSC05813.JPG
    DSC05813.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 2,633
Beautiful install Dom! It looks very clean and crisp. I couldn't imagine driving at night with those two blue eyes staring back! Think I could fit a kit like that in my TR6?:D

Nice job! Gordon

p.s. I know I'm color blind but I could swear Mc's are blue, better get her eyes checked!!

Last edited:
Thanks Gordon...

I appreciate the comments. I am guessing that a TR6 is a Triumph? Please dont be insulted if I am wrong...wow--those are very small tight cars!

My dream car is a very simple Lotus Elise. I love small nimble cars!

Dominick

My dream car is a very simple Lotus Elise. I love small nimble cars!

Dominick

I have wanted the same thing for quite a while now, can't wait for school to be over. That will be my day I know I have "arrived". Maybe you can do the Mac install in my Lotus in 8-10 years...

Thanks for the pics, looks great.

I wish I was talented enough to do the box that is in there now, but it was professionally done.

The biggest sonic improvement I have noticed so far is the accurate reproduction of the snare drum and other transients standing out more.

Dominick

Back